How to negotiate?

billyjk7

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler JKU on 40s and Tons
Is it best to ask for a certain % off of MSRP or invoice?

Does invoice include holdback and shipping?

Should I ask for 6-8% under invoice and then add shipping and holdback?

Confused!
Sponsored

IDjeep

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangle JK Sport
Best strategy is to find those already offering below invoice on JLs and see if they will work with you on the gladiator. I have had multiple experiences from buying in the past—comes down to those that sell at MSRP (or slightly below) and those that sell for less (due to dealer incentives, financing incentives etc). You won’t get very far negotiating—better to do your research and find someone good to work with who can give you the price you want. (To answer the question: most compare % below invoice) I will be getting it 8% below invoice here in Idaho when it is available to order. Will post when it is official. Check out this forum for dealers in your area:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/recommended-dealers-list.1227/page-70#post-461539

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2006 Jeep Liberty
The best way to negotiate is not to negotiate. Get a no-haggle price below 5% off invoice or below from a few vendors and compare out the door prices.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Good luck. When I was at a dealer ordering my JLUR on Saturday, he got an email while I was sitting there from someone demanding 6% off invoice on a Gladiator. He laughed and said these will be selling for over MSRP. I told him I hope that Jeep makes a hell-ton of them and flood the market lol. But, they probably won't so.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2006 Jeep Liberty
Good luck. When I was at a dealer ordering my JLUR on Saturday, he got an email while I was sitting there from someone demanding 6% off invoice on a Gladiator. He laughed and said these will be selling for over MSRP. I told him I hope that Jeep makes a hell-ton of them and flood the market lol. But, they probably won't so.
They said the same thing when the JL came out.

Sponsored

MACHZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 RAM Rebel, 19 subaru forester
The best thing to do it not put your self in a situation where you have to buy it. I really want the truck but if I don't get a decent amount below invoice I'll wait. All dealers will tell you that there will be a markup and there may be at first but if you are patient and wait there will be deals. I just purchased a new Audi that I had to order and I was told at min I would pay MSRP. After shopping around I ended up under invoice for the car.

Another thing that helps is if you are willing to travel or ship one. I purchased a car over 1000 miles away because I got a great deal even after paying a little over $300 for shipping.

jeepinjon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
The process that I use to negotiate is the following:

1. Sell any other vehicles I want to trade privately. This takes one of the things that can be negotiated out of the equation. Sometimes a low vehicle price also gets you a low trade in price to offset the difference.

2. Build one online when available and print a PDF of the specs. Email it in one shot to all your local Jeep dealerships. This lets them all know that you have contacted every dealership in the area for a quote, and they are all competing on the same thing.

3. Go to the dealership that gave you the best price if you are shopping on price alone. There are some dealerships that I like better than others in my area that I am willing to pay a bit more to just for better service. Be specific on what if any potential discounts you might qualify for (tread lightly, large employers, and many of the membership stores like Costco/Sam's club have specific incentives).

4. I also like to have my own financing lined up prior to going in to the dealership. This shows that you are serious and willing to order that day. It also gives you more flexibility to walk if you can finance on your own to be able to walk away from a dealership.

Byebyetaco

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
There are 2 ways to do this. #1.... If you walk into a dealer this is how..... Im 40 now, but in my twenties I sold new toyota and honda for 5 years or more. When I go into a dealer I tell him to pull out the invoice and I then tell him how much I’m willing to pay over invoice. On my tacoma it was $500 over. On my civic I said $100 over. I also tell them I’m only willing to pay for license and registration and their Doc fee on the back end and absolutely no extras. Almost all dealers have a bullshit vin # etched into the window they charge you for on the back end. Its pure profit (generally in the 2-400 range and serves almost no purpose. You can buy the same kit online for $12.00 Dealers dont have fake invoices made up to fool you. If they say they cant do that, move on to the next dealer. On a hot item like the new gladiator, the dealer may just laugh at you and say they are selling at invoice +. I just dont know how hot this item will be.
#2 make up a temporary email address. Use this email address to email about 4 different dealers. Explain exactly what options and model you want. Tell them you are serious about buying in the next 2 weeks but are getting prices from other dealers to see who is most motivated to sell. Do not give them your phone number and do not let them cal you until later (when you know this is the dealer you are buying from). Ask for a price price for the model you requested with all the options and then ask for a final out the door price ( this way you know they arent adding in all the bullshit when you are there getting ready to sign). Dont go back and forth on what kind of payment you want or anything else. You are strictly getting a price before taxes and registration and a price for out the door. This should be a fairly easy process as even small dealers get a dozen or more of these emails each day and they know what you are looking for....the cheapest price. Most likely option #2 willl get you the best price. Goood lick

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I will be getting it 8% below invoice here in Idaho when it is available to order.
I'll be preparing to drive my butt to ID if my local dealer won't do 8%... though I'll be watching eagerly for your confirmation of that price. (c:

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Just throwing this in for those looking to figure out the best deal:

https://sites.google.com/view/wranglerdeals/home

This was put together by some JL Forum user, shows the % beneath invoice that dealers are offering. Idaho... man what's going on up there. Also, for considertation... 1% off of a $40k Invoice is $400... so keep in mind how much extra you'll pay for every additional 1% discount.

Sponsored

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
One thing I found is get financing ready before hand. When I bought my wife's 2017 Challenger GT AWD, I emailed them and told them I would be in the next day to buy the car they had listed on their website. I told them what I was trading and knew what the KBB value and trade in value was worth. I also had secured financing at 1.9% through my credit union for 72 months, they cut me the deal I wanted and came back with 1.8% through another bank. Had I took their financing without negotiating first, I would have probably been paying 4.0% interest on that loan.

megamucho

First Name
mega
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Durango R/T, '18 BMW R1200GS
The best thing to do it not put your self in a situation where you have to buy it.
This, exactly. The only way you win a negotiation is when you want the deal less than the other guy does. The best negotiation I ever had was when I walked away from an in-stock unit due to color. The sales manager was texting me afterwards, dropping the price every time. He finally got below invoice and I took the deal.

Casique

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HA Gladiator, 2011 FLHX, 2022 MDX
Don't be in a super hurry to buy when the JT arrives. Of course that is easily said than done! I'm sure the dealers will be less likely to deal initially. I'm in no hurry, and will buy in the August to December time frame at my leisure.

Last edited:

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport w/ 1.5 inch lift.
Occupation
Freight-liner Diesel Technician
I'll be preparing to drive my butt to ID if my local dealer won't do 8%... though I'll be watching eagerly for your confirmation of that price. (c:
Problem solved! Just buy cars from Idaho to get under invoice.
My dad bought a 2018 RAM 1500 for 17% under invoice when you include the incentives. It had a 54k invoice, no haggle price at 49k, incentives brought price to 45k.
My dad's dealer: Larry H Miller Dodge Ram Jeep in Boise Idaho.
Sponsored

Last edited: