Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep says so based on my specific vin
The sticker says so based on how it was BUILT.
The VIN doesn't include everything that went into it - the build sheet does. Got a bed cover? I strongly doubt that's part of the VIN. The VIN tells a whole lot - but not everything. If I can find it, I'd challenge you to use the VIN from my Silverado and plug that in and find EVERYTHING it came with - you can't, because the VIN even when I owned it, missed the factory accessories in and on that truck. When using NADA and KBB to look up values, I STILL had to manually choose certain things.
When my father was killed and I had to deal with the insurance company on the value of his truck - I gave them the VIN and they came back with a s##t value on the truck - I went back at them and said you have the bloody vin, what's up - you didn't include the tow package and there were a couple of other things. Their response - the VIN doesn't include this, that or the other thing.
So a month later I finally wore them down (actually had to get a bit nasty, unfortunately) and they finally READ the build sheet I sent them on the truck! And, they tripled the value.
I told them - go by the BUILD SHEET, not the VIN - the VIN left out accessories.

The factory built it and had the build sheet with ALL items that truck had when it reached the end of the line and final inspection.
Note the Year, Month, Date and HOUR on that sticker is "final assembly time". It may have been assembled as a truck hours earlier - but they create that sticker as one of the very very very last things that happens.
The web only has VIN - and that's not all inclusive in all cases. My Chevy was a good example of that.
Now maybe Jeep has figured out a way to include floor mats and other fun stuff in the VIN - but I doubt it.
The VIN will tell a hell of a lot, it's incredible what can be learned from it, but still - the guy at the end who had the multiple-page build sheet at his disposal (on computer, of course, but it used to be PAPER) they print that sticker with the final hour it was there.

Again, maybe Jeep's VIN has every tiny little thing, every single option, accessory, mat, whatever, but that's not been my experience with other makes.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Stevevdbh

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager
Do any of worry about towing above the GVWR of the Jeep if the trailer is above the weight? Jeep can tow 7650 but trailer is 8500 lbs? Insurance and liability ?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Do any of worry about towing above the GVWR of the Jeep if the trailer is above the weight? Jeep can tow 7650 but trailer is 8500 lbs? Insurance and liability ?
If the trailer is heavier than the vehicle is rated to tow, there can be safety issues, along with legal, insurance, and liability issues if you have an accident. It depends on the laws in the state where the trailer is being towed.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Does your door sticker say 7650? Don't go by advertised numbers. Then there is the power issue with that much weight besides what Mr_Bill said.

Stevevdbh

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager
Does your door sticker say 7650? Don't go by advertised numbers. Then there is the power issue with that much weight besides what Mr_Bill said.
I am mainly thinking of the new diesel with the 6k GVWR and people thinking since it is a diesel they can tow more than that. Understand it can but with the liability and insurance i was going to stay under it to tow a 19 foot trailer but wanted to get other opinions. Thanks guys!

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
I am mainly thinking of the new diesel with the 6k GVWR and people thinking since it is a diesel they can tow more than that. Understand it can but with the liability and insurance i was going to stay under it to tow a 19 foot trailer but wanted to get other opinions. Thanks guys!
It all comes down to GCWR. Your combined truck and trailer weight could be perfectly balanced and under your GAWRs and payload but if you are over the GCWR you are technically breaking the law. Is it unsafe? Maybe. Could it tow 8k with not problem, probably in perfect conditions, sure, but that GCWR is a hard ceiling that you shouldn’t go above.

Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Where are you guys finding this? I found it once and it says my tow rating was -1, but I can’t remember where I found it.

Stevevdbh

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager
It all comes down to GCWR. Your combined truck and trailer weight could be perfectly balanced and under your GAWRs and payload but if you are over the GCWR you are technically breaking the law. Is it unsafe? Maybe. Could it tow 8k with not problem, probably in perfect conditions, sure, but that GCWR is a hard ceiling that you shouldn’t go above.
Just to clarify , so lets say truck GVWR is 6000 lbs, and Trailer is 6000 lbs, as long as your under the total of 12k lbs , say at 10k, your fine? Did i get it right? Thanks!

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
Just to clarify , so lets say truck GVWR is 6000 lbs, and Trailer is 6000 lbs, as long as your under the total of 12k lbs , say at 10k, your fine? Did i get it right? Thanks!
From a purely legal standpoint at 2k under GCWR, yes you are good, but you need to make sure you are set up properly and are not over your payload and rear axle rating on the truck(good WDH). That’s where it gets tricky when you get over about a 6500lb with these trucks if you expect to have anything in the truck besides a driver. Balance only gets you so far. You will hit your payload capacity before you hit the tow rating on most of them.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
GCVW is the COMBINED weight - that's what counts the truck AND trailer weight AND people weight AND luggage weight

You have to consider the payload, too - tongue weight counts against that.
GVWR isn't where you consider the weight of the trailer itself.

Jeep Gladiator I have over 8000lbs towing capacity gvwr

Jeep Gladiator I have over 8000lbs towing capacity towi

Stevevdbh

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager
GCVW is the COMBINED weight - that's what counts the truck AND trailer weight AND people weight AND luggage weight

You have to consider the payload, too - tongue weight counts against that.
GVWR isn't where you consider the weight of the trailer itself.

Thanks Papa! This helps. Guess we will see what the Glady diesel comes in at when someone posts the sticker on this forum. LOL.
Sponsored