First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales
Really loving my new Mojave and have added a few things in the month I've owned it. However, my plans are not really to do any hardcore off-roading.

Yesterday, while going to the grocery store, a truck pulled up beside me and a fella asked how I liked my new Gladdy. He said he had just sold his Wrangler and had a ARB stubby front bumper and a Warn VR 10 winch that he wanted to sell. He said he would take $800 for the whole thing, which seemed like a fair price to me.
Keep in mind that I will probably never need to use the winch, but the rig looks cool (see below).

Question: Is there any negative to having all that on the front of your Jeep if you never use it? I know it adds a considerable amount of weight and I will probably pay to have it mounted as I don't have any experience with such. This is my first Jeep and I am not sure whether I want to do this or not.

Any ideas or thoughts??

imagejpeg_0.jpg
Sponsored

tbaker

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 silver Jeep gladiator rubicon
Just Do It that will look great on your gladiator

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Never say never on using a winch, but do use it correctly when you do. The only negative is weight. A install is really straight forward and not hard.

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
That’s a steel rope winch and a big steel bumper. All that extra weight on the front of your Mojave may affect the way it handles in every day driving if it pushes your shocks past the bypass.

Fundamental Jeepster

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
retired
Really loving my new Mojave and have added a few things in the month I've owned it. However, my plans are not really to do any hardcore off-roading.

Yesterday, while going to the grocery store, a truck pulled up beside me and a fella asked how I liked my new Gladdy. He said he had just sold his Wrangler and had a ARB stubby front bumper and a Warn VR 10 winch that he wanted to sell. He said he would take $800 for the whole thing, which seemed like a fair price to me.
Keep in mind that I will probably never need to use the winch, but the rig looks cool (see below).

Question: Is there any negative to having all that on the front of your Jeep if you never use it? I know it adds a considerable amount of weight and I will probably pay to have it mounted as I don't have any experience with such. This is my first Jeep and I am not sure whether I want to do this or not.

Any ideas or thoughts??

Jeep Gladiator I'm at a crossroads on a mod imagejpeg_0
It will not only look good on the front of your Gladiator, you will use it. You'll have friends calling you saying I just put my car in the ditch. Can you come and winch me out? 🤣

Sponsored

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
If you decide to do it, take someone with you who knows winches and make certain everything is in good working order.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
OK, now I have to post the dissenting opinion :)

1. you will pay for the weight and wind resistance every day in fuel consumption.
2. if you don't expect to use it, either because you don't drive where you will get stuck, or because there aren't any trees, etc. to hook onto, why do it?
3. you can just carry some straps and shackles, along with a hand winch, just in case.
4. you will be adding 300-400 pounds to the very front, so the Jeep will "porpoise" a lot more on bumps, etc. It will need more springing to compensate, not just spacers. You will be that much closer to the rated capacity of the front suspension, too.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Yeah, the answer is obvious, don't do that. I've used my winch a number of times, between rock crawling and mud, so I'm willing to compromise on the downsides of having that out there. But I'd never consider having one if I didn't expect to use it. Maybe sell the winch and only keep the bumper?

Those clown lights are dorky though.

OP
OP
Choatecav

Choatecav

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales
Very interesting how the latest wave of responses differed so much from the first few. I have already committed to the fella that I would buy it and have given him down payment. Supposed to go over to his house this weekend to install it. Everything with it looks absolutely brand new so no problem there and he demo'd the winch. But, the dissenters do make some points.
a) the weight addition would only be about 160 lbs as the bumper weighs 75 lbs and the winch is about 85. so not too bad there.
b) have no plans for heavy off-roading, but who knows what next year will bring?
c) I do kinda like the idea of selling the winch and just installing the bumper. I do like the way the bumper looks.

Golly gee........ decisions, decisions.
Thanks for your comments.

Longleaf

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2018 Desert Sled
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
You can always swap to synthetic to save some weight on the front end. I find all kinds of uses for my winch. Used it to pull out a stubborn mailbox this weekend :LOL:
Sponsored