Sponsored

In a pickle! What do I do?? Need some advice...

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
I'm 5'10, fit is good in the Glad. My 4th Jeep, coming from a GC, although a little noisier, no rattles yet (<500 miles). You're right about the 'it' thing - sometimes people on the street stop and look (black Altitude).
Sponsored

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
Well...you're posting on a Gladiator forum so you're likely to see a lot of pro-Glady advice. That said, I traded my 2017 RAM in on the Gladiator. I really liked that truck and had no problems with it...just wanted to try out a Jeep for all of the reasons you mention above. Now that I've had it for ~90 days, I have to say I love it! As to the note you have about the Gladiator rattling - I have not seen any of that - in fact, I have NO rattles or squeaks. Of course, I'm only 90 days in but so far, so good.

Oh...and I installed the Bestop Sunrider top in place of the Freedom Tops and LOVE the instant convertible option...something you can't do on the RAM! And it's MUCH easier to park!

Good luck in your decision.

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
Never heard of rattles before. It’s a tuff call for sure but if you like exploring and off-roading then the Gladiator is a no brainer. But if you need towing or comfort then sure Ram it is.

HjStrater

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Operations
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! I’m only 5’7”, but I did find the left side of the drivers seat a bit cramped. My leg was resting against the door. Maybe I’m nitpicking, but they are 50K vehicles! Ha
That was my first thought when I sat in one at a state fair show the first time I saw one in person. I really thought the "cockpit" feeling of the driver seat would bother me. after going on an actual test drive I realized my sitting position didn't have me bumping knees with the transfer case or the door like I thought I would from just sitting in it. At 6'3 I can say after 4k miles I am actually more comfortable in my Gladiator than my wife's Traverse.

Oh and your leg won't rest against the door if you take it off... The door that is, not your leg, leave that attached.

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
I’m a newbie here. It’s time to trade in my 2012 Honda. Now, I have a deal in a place for a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie crew cab and for a 2021 Gladiator Overland. Obviously the discounts on the Laramie are MUCH greater so the monthly payments are about the same. I’m torn on the fun of the Jeep - (top down, jeep wave, easier to maneuver, fun to modify, fun vehicle overall, but smaller cabin, more cramped) OR the tank that is the Laramie - (much more space, comfort, ride quality, etc.), but it doesn’t have the “it” factor of Jeeps. Is it true the Gladiator rattles like crazy from all areas? That might drive me a little nuts. It would make sense given you can take it apart pretty much, but that’s the price you pay I guess!

Anyway, anyone have any experience with both and can give me any advice? I’m literally split 50/50 on what to do. Any help would be fantastic. Thanks everyone!
Yes my truck has rattled itself to pieces twice. This morning I finished bolting the motor back in before going to work. LOL!

But really, if you off road it long enough things will come loose, just have to check for loose bolts from time to time. Blue locktite, torque and move on.

Sponsored

Roklok

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired
I sold my 05 Ram (in perfect shape) and bought an Overland. The Ram wasn't as much fun to drive , park, or gas up. The only thing I miss from the Ram is that Hemi engine. The Jeep is much more fun to drive and park. No rattles and no room problems. I have had it since January and love it. Not many miles with the Covid mess, but l still wouldn't have any other.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
“Better truck”! Them’s fighting words!
Yeah, "better" probably isn't the best word. More spacious, more capable of work, safer, stronger, more inexpensive, more practical, more fuel efficient...there were other ways I could have phrased that. My bad. :D

Seriously though, I have a lot of fun with Jeeps. But when I drive the Gladiator after spending time in the Ram it's a bit of a shock just how small the interior is in the Jeep. Takes a lot of adjustment.

calipoontappa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I was in the exact same boat a few weeks ago...I was about to pull the trigger on the 1500 Limited Black Edition. I ended up with a new fully loaded JTR. I bought a 2020 so I got it for 12% under MSRP but I was going to buy the truck for a similar discount.While yes the RAM is more luxurious, more spacious and more powerful it looks like any other truck. I couldn't look at it not think meh just a pickup. It had all the bells and whistles but it just looked like every other truck and out where I live there is a RAM or F150 on every corner. I've only seen 2 Gladiators period and none are JTR's. Its special and much more capable off-road period.

As for the noise, yes it's much more noisy than a RAM, but NO rattles just a lot of wind noise because its a Jeep. Every Jeep ever made is going to have the wind noise...your basically driving a block lol.
I will say this though, this is MUCH, MUCH quieter than the JKU, down the freeway I couldn't hear my passengers in the JKU but in the JTR i can hear everyone, they can hear me and I even use siri on Uconnect no issues.

My biggest concern was that my family was going to be cramped but we just went on a 3 hour road trip, 3 adults and 2 kids, one in a car seat. While it wasn't as spacious as a RAM my passengers were all comfortable and had zero complaints the entire way. I wouldn't take them on an 8 hour trip but even I wouldn't want to drive that distance anymore lol.

One other thing to think about is the resale, IF you choose to sell the JTR you're going to get a lot more than you will ever get back on the RAM period. RAMs depreciate A TON while JTR/JLRs retain their value much, much more.

Anyway I don't regret one bit getting the JTR over the RAM.

Good luck and pick whatever makes you happier.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
Deja-Vu. I feel like I just read this same post somewhere.

Moonshineheadache

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Great White Edition Rubicon
Occupation
Gas Pump Jockey - I hate cans!
Vehicle Showcase
I traded my loaded 2018 Tundra - loads of room, every option, off-road capable (enough anyway) 100% reliable because...I don't tow 10K and everybody has a Tundra!

I have a smile everyday I drive my Gladiator and with Covid and working from home, I make excuses to just drive around the block...mostly to the carwash that it doesn't even need!

Go Gladiator or go HOME!

Sponsored

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Yea I'm gonna second what others have said, you're on the Gladiator forum so I'm sure most of us would say go Gladiator! Is there even a Laramie forum? Do you want to take doors and roof off, and be more capable off road? Or do you need more space and more of a work truck? Do you want something very customizable or are you gonna keep it pretty much stock? I'm assuming the Laramie might be a little quicker, so not sure how important that is to you, but the JT has enough get-up for me. I've had everything off and back on a few times, and nothing rattles except my kids car seats. I can't speak for a soft top though. I'm 6'3" 215 and plenty of room for me, but I a couple of weeks ago I was talking toy buddy's dad and he's an inch taller with at least 70 lbs on me and he said there want enough room in the cabin for him, so that could be a factor as well. I'm sure you would enjoy either truck, but the Gladiator has a fun factor not replicated yet in the market, IMO...

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I have 4 boys. 14, 12, 7 and 7. We cruise the Gladiator all over. They all fit.
I have had the top off for over a month now.
If you prize driving experience over other attributes....Gladiator all day.
It's nice to wheel and enjoy. Ran up to the mountains this weekend with the top off. Stars all over. Can't replace the feeling of driving one.

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I have 4 boys. 14, 12, 7 and 7. We cruise the Gladiator all over. They all fit.
I have had the top off for over a month now.
If you prize driving experience over other attributes....Gladiator all day.
It's nice to wheel and enjoy. Ran up to the mountains this weekend with the top off. Stars all over. Can't replace the feeling of driving one.
Couldn't agree more. This thing feels like you're actually driving a vehicle. It's not some semi-autonomous thing where you could hear a pin drop in the cabin on the highway. I know that's the wave of the future, but why? So we can work on a laptop on the commute to and from work? Makes me want to puke lol

No joke, a few weeks into ownership, driving around with the doors and roof off, my wife turned to me and said, "I never thought of having a car just for the joy of driving it, and not just getting from point A to point B."