Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The rubicon fox shocks are not the 2.0IFPs. They may be 2" shocks, but they aren't the same thing.
Very correct. I went from Rubicon Fox to Fox 2.0 and they’re much nicer. Way more stable at highway speeds.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
I have 37’s, and I’m not sure you’ll be happy with 3.73 gears. The other stuff depends on how hard you are on it. If you expect similar performance with the transmission, 3.73 gears will be pretty bad with 37’s. I would have left mine at 4.10 if I went with 35’s. When I decided on 37’s, I regeared to 5.13.
100% agree. I've been rolling on 37's and 3.73's while I gather parts for the re-gear. It's miserable. 5.13's are getting installed this month.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
100% agree. I've been rolling on 37's and 3.73's while I gather parts for the re-gear. It's miserable. 5.13's are getting installed this month.
The gears was why I had trouble deciding on tire size. I knew I’d be fine with 4.10 on 35’s. The tire price wasn’t the issue. It was the thousands to buy and pay labor for gearing. Happy I did though now that it’s over.

Reactions: JT1

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
The gears was why I had trouble deciding on tire size. I knew I’d be fine with 4.10 on 35’s. The tire price wasn’t the issue. It was the thousands to buy and pay labor for gearing. Happy I did though now that it’s over.
Tire price between 35's and 37's isn't enough to stress about.. Coming from a 2dr JK to the JT, I missed not worrying about breakover or dragging tail on every ledge I came to. So Clayton 3.5 and 37's were in the plan from the day I ordered. The hardest decision was 4.88/5.13. With the 6speed, I figured 5.13s was smart and maybe I'll finally be able to use 6th gear.

Sponsored

Frenzy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction Manager
What is the down side of getting the lockers and regeared for 37's but keeping My 285/70R17 tires for a bit...till they "NEED" to be replaced? My JT is 2 yrs old at 42k tire are still great. I found a shop (reputable) that will do both lockers and gears for a reasonable price...no labor for the gears if I do them with the lockers.
Very minor "down side" consideration, only that re-gearing to 4.88 with your smaller tires will slightly compromise gas mileage and the engine RPMs will be on the higher side, but this is not a big deal and much less if only a temporary condition. I would do all the Dana 44 mods at one shop/appointment, and you can change to new spacers, wheels, tires next year if you want.

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS
The rubicon fox shocks are not the 2.0IFPs. They may be 2" shocks, but they aren't the same thing.
And the ones in the MOPAR kit are 2.5's... but also not the same as buying the 2.5 direct from Fox (not adjustable). But, also better than the stock Rubicon and VERY stable at hwy speeds.

Oak

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
Occupation
realtor
Unless you have 3.73 gears you don't HAVE to regear.

2"-2 1/2" lift with shocks, longer front LCA's, track bar, drag link bar, tie-rod bar.

You will wear out ball joints faster, but don't need them right now. When you do, get the rebuild-able all steel ones and not the OEM with plastic bits in them.

Wait on buying wheels until you decide on what lift. You can ask them what back space you need. Most specify it, but some don't have a number posted so ask up front.

Don't worry about the axles. If you aren't bouncing rocks or sending it on hill climbs, they're pretty tough.
You don't have to regear but I picked up 2mpgs and 7th and 8th going 4.88s from 4.10. Ran 35's with 3.73 and like the new set up best.

Deleted member 28696

You can run up to 38’s on stock Rubicon Axels Dana 44. If you go to 40s you’ll need Dana 60s. I added a 3” lift on mine, I didn’t need to since it didn’t rub stock with 37’s but liked the look, if you rock craw you’ll need it. You’ll need to re-gear I chose 5.13’s due to the weight of the wheels & tires. If you plan on adding a cap or a rack be sure you get heavy duty rear springs with your lift. I didn’t, but to fix sag I swapped out the rear springs to the 1500 RAM spring mod & sumo springs 1800lb bump stops, since I have an RSI steel cap. You’ll need a Tazer JL mini to configure the gear ratio and tire size.

bakobobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator California
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Doer of things
So I have a lift, ball joints, front and rear truss, and reinforced c gussets. After a week of wheeling Apex Designs steering boost, beefier tie rod and drag link are in the not so distant future. High clearance fenders sometime down the road had to add a bunch of bump stop spacer to keep from rubbing.

Sponsored

OngsterA

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sarge Rubicon
Occupation
Software Security
Slightly sideways question. Those going up from 35s to 37s, which I may be soon, are the stock wheel sizing 17x7.5 and offset OK for when airing down and crawling? I'm already on 4.10s stock, regear is later down the line, so question is directed mainly on tire fitment.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Slightly sideways question. Those going up from 35s to 37s, which I may be soon, are the stock wheel sizing 17x7.5 and offset OK for when airing down and crawling? I'm already on 4.10s stock, regear is later down the line, so question is directed mainly on tire fitment.
I’ve aired down to 16 or 17 and had no issues. It rock crawls like a champ.
Sponsored