Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I'm curious if the Rubicon and Overland, which have an inverter built in for the center console, uses the same inverter for the bed (if you get the bed rails package.) Really I'm wondering if a Sport user will be able to use that same inverter in the cabin if they can find a way to tap into it. Or do they just have 2 inverters.
Sponsored

LowOnCash

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I’m sure I read somewhere both receptacles share the same inverter.

Mike

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Per the manual both the console and bed outlet share the single 400w inverter. For the cost of the option you are well on your way to a 1000w inverter.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
I'm curious if the Rubicon and Overland, which have an inverter built in for the center console, uses the same inverter for the bed (if you get the bed rails package.) Really I'm wondering if a Sport user will be able to use that same inverter in the cabin if they can find a way to tap into it. Or do they just have 2 inverters.
They share it - and I would not tap into it, or use it. You only get about 3.4 amps, which for me, isn't really going to be enough.

I'm in the process of figuring out how to replace it, in place, with something bigger, or mount a larger/better one somewhere else for actual use. Behind the rear seats is where I'm thinking I'd mount that and possibly a solar charge controller.

Sponsored

OP
OP
eternus

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
As happens every time, as soon as I start looking into the value of the factory items like this... I quickly see the fact that they're half-step solutions and that doing it myself will result in a better option anyway.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
You’re only now seeing this? To be honest it always feels like the factory solution is like the allegory of the cave, we are shown shadows of solutions and are told they are the solutions themselves.

A 1000/2000w inverter would serve to provide serious overland power and the cost per unit is laughable on an industrial scale. Nope, 400w fore AND aft is all you get. I remember TFLT did a review of the JKU Rubicon and their idea of being prepared was to bring an electric hedge clipper to trip back offending branches, too bad they never trialed it before shooting because it flopped. It’s nice that I can charge a camera or laptop but what if I needed to run some serious equipment?

My coffee maker requires 1025w.

I can’t think of a piece of electrical equipment more important than that in the field.

196230B4-3357-4F2D-B4A5-12D5A596D8DA.jpeg

OP
OP
eternus

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
You’re only now seeing this?
Well, I just sometimes hope that there are exceptions to the rule.

I will still go with the Jeep 7" head unit rather than an aftermarket... though, building my own "Alpine Premium Audio" for less than is now true. And I'll save a lot of money on the rail system that I was going to buy just for a bad plug. Especially since word on the street is that the Sport still has under seat storage, it just isn't lockable... and I bet by the time I'm buying my truck there will be a Tuffy lockbox better than what Jeep is offering. And I am recently learning that you can't get LSD with Max-Tow so I'll have to install a better aftermarket option (though that will be more expensive than their $600 pricetag due to installation.)

The Rubicon perks are starting to feel more like fluff features to pad the options list without being real, long-lasting solutions.

OP
OP
eternus

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
They share it - and I would not tap into it, or use it. You only get about 3.4 amps, which for me, isn't really going to be enough.

I'm in the process of figuring out how to replace it, in place, with something bigger, or mount a larger/better one somewhere else for actual use. Behind the rear seats is where I'm thinking I'd mount that and possibly a solar charge controller.
I hope you'll do a write-up, or video, or both and share them once you've figured it out.

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
You’re only now seeing this? To be honest it always feels like the factory solution is like the allegory of the cave, we are shown shadows of solutions and are told they are the solutions themselves.

A 1000/2000w inverter would serve to provide serious overland power and the cost per unit is laughable on an industrial scale. Nope, 400w fore AND aft is all you get. I remember TFLT did a review of the JKU Rubicon and their idea of being prepared was to bring an electric hedge clipper to trip back offending branches, too bad they never trialed it before shooting because it flopped. It’s nice that I can charge a camera or laptop but what if I needed to run some serious equipment?

My coffee maker requires 1025w.

I can’t think of a piece of electrical equipment more important than that in the field.

196230B4-3357-4F2D-B4A5-12D5A596D8DA.jpeg
Keep in mind your 2000 watt inverter will be drawing nearly 175 amps, make sure your driving really fast when your using it and not using juice for much of anything else!!

Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
This is where dual battery systems with smart cross over and charging comes in handy.

Full disclosure the home coffee maker do any go into the field, a French press and gasoline stove do. I did however take a look at my rice cooker, 425w.

To be honest I’m not really sure what Jeep pictures we will be doing with the 400w other than phones, laptops, some power tool batteries?

TYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator

This... and a Battle Born lithium ion 100 Ah battery and you’ll be set!

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Soooo..... the inverter is on the drivers side, under the steering wheel. Not hard to get to - but not directly replaceable without more brain power than I currently possess. Both LIN and CAN buses are involved. No use messing with that.

The easier thing is to put in a new one, somewhere else. I need to let that idea roll around in my head for a bit...

giskard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW i3s
This is where dual battery systems with smart cross over and charging comes in handy.

Full disclosure the home coffee maker do any go into the field, a French press and gasoline stove do. I did however take a look at my rice cooker, 425w.

To be honest I’m not really sure what Jeep pictures we will be doing with the 400w other than phones, laptops, some power tool batteries?
My hope is the PHEV version will make better use of the in-bed power outlet. There's no reason Jeep couldn't have a powerful inverter drawing power off of the much larger traction battery. Maybe even allow your engine to act as a generator even when stationary when the battery gets low (something Ford has hinted at doing with their upcoming PHEV F150). That would be perfect for my purposes.