Sponsored

Ineligible for TSB because of Mopar lift...

DLAW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Nissan Pathfinder, '08 Honda Civic, '12 Honda CR-V, '16 Honda Odyssey, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Predicting the future
I once had success filing a complaint with the BBB. Manager asked me to sit in his office and asked me "how can I make this right?".
If it were me, I would think the fastest and most stress free next step would be another dealership, now knowing the wording you should use. If that fails, then you will need to pull out all the other weapons like JeepCares and BBB.
This isn't a broken radio after all. It's a safety hazard that can kill someone. Any good hearted person needs to fix you up knowing that.
Sponsored

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
what does the after market warranty have to do with it? They shouldnā€™t be involved at all? This goes through the dealer and the TSB is from FCA. Itā€™s not a warranty claim on something that failed that wasnā€™t supposed to.

The TSB is a fix for a wide spread issue that FCA has acknowledged and agreed to pay for, and the work is done by the dealer, who is reimbursed by FCA.
the steering gear swap if approved is covered by FCA.
I'm curious to know where you guys are getting the information that FCA is paying for this? A technical service bulletin is issued when a problem is discovered to be wide spread. It gives the technician a guide to repair the problem. If your vehicle is still under warranty then the repair would be (or should be) covered by your warranty. This is not a recall so at this point FCA is under no legal obligation to pay. If they have said they would I am not aware of it.
I suspect the comment about the aftermarket warranty is because he is out of his factory warranty period (over 36k miles). Aftermarket warranty companies have one job and that is to deny everything. And since they are not the manufacturer they don't have to play by their rules.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I'm curious to know where you guys are getting the information that FCA is paying for this? A technical service bulletin is issued when a problem is discovered to be wide spread. It gives the technician a guide to repair the problem. If your vehicle is still under warranty then the repair would be (or should be) covered by your warranty. This is not a recall so at this point FCA is under no legal obligation to pay. If they have said they would I am not aware of it.
I suspect the comment about the aftermarket warranty is because he is out of his factory warranty period (over 36k miles). Aftermarket warranty companies have one job and that is to deny everything. And since they are not the manufacturer they don't have to play by their rules.
FCA is paying for it because the steering gear is being replaced as a defective part by dealerships after obtaining approval from FCA.

Last edited:

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
This is not a recall so at this point FCA is under no legal obligation to pay. If they have said they would I am not aware of it.
No legal obligation to pay? They are legally obligated to pay for repairs of defects in material and workmanship. It doesn't matter if it's a recall, TSB or any other repair.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Wanted to entitle this post "ineligible for tsb because of mopar lift, or complete incompetence by stealership." I took my jeep to the stealership today to get it checked out for the TSB. I drove it back from west texas this weekend and it was unbearable to drive. White knuckle driving the entire trip. Every bump at 60+ felt like I was going to swerve into the other lane.

When I took it to the stealership the suit at the desk told me that he checked out my problem and that he recommends a track bar and a steering stabilizer (which I intend to do down the road, but I am not placing a bandaid over jeep's broken leg). He told me that the only problem with the steering is that I have 35s and only a mopar lift. I asked him several times why the mopar lift doesnt come with these components if these are potential problems. He had no answer. I walked to the parts desk and asked the parts guy if this was a potential problem (I approached him as if I were a prospective customer). He thought it was a ridiculous question and of course you shouldn't compromise drivability by installing a mopar lift kit and the 35 inch tires which the kit states it is capable of running. So these two gentlemen were on completely different pages.

I went back and talked to the suit behind the desk about the TSB. I asked him if the steering box in my truck is steel or aluminum. He stated that the TSB states that the steel and aluminum parts are for different vehicles. My gladiator doesn't have such a part available, according to suit.

Quite frankly, I have no idea what is going on with Huffines if DFW. I am pretty forlorn about the whole situation. I have wanted a jeep for a very long time and saved up to buy one, and now it is extremely unenjoyable to drive. Not only is it a very unpleasant driving experience, but the people at the dealership who are supposed to help me fix my $45k truck seem to lack the knowledge requisite to fix my problem, and the ambition necessary to at least be of some modicum of help.

What would you guys say the next step for me is? Do I take it to another stealership? Do I just buy the trackbar and steering stabilizer and install myself? Do I go trade the gladiator in and go with the Chevy Bison that I was thinking about? I really wanted my wife's next vehicle to be a grand wagoneer when they come out, but if this is how service works with Jeep then I can't imagine spending that much for an SUV. @JeepCares

Here's the paperwork:

IMG_20200930_172337_2.jpg

IMG_20200930_172321_2.jpg
Hello, we have responded to your private message. Please continue to work with us there so that we may ensure you do receive the top level of care for the remainder of your dealer services.

Kathryn
JeepCares
My local dealer approved the TSB, but my aftermarket warranty denied it, claiming that the wandering and pull to the right is from my 33"x12.5" tires. They suggested I buy stock wheels and tires, and then they would look at it again.
Please feel free to send our team a private message with your VIN and mileage. We would be happy to look into this further and offer our additional assistance alongside your dealer.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Sponsored

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
No legal obligation to pay? They are legally obligated to pay for repairs of defects in material and workmanship. It doesn't matter if it's a recall, TSB or any other repair.
Really? How many products have you had repaired or replaced outside of a warranty period. I have had many cars and have had to pay for parts that failed outside the warranty period. Case in point is the Power Wagon I traded. Known issue of the exhaust manifold bolts breaking. One side broke and was covered under warranty. The other side broke just after I exceeded the miles for the warranty. That side was on me.
Like I said, if FCA has said they will pay for it please direct me to that. But I have not seen that. Defects in materials and workmanship are only covered during the specified warranty period.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Really? How many products have you had repaired or replaced outside of a warranty period. I have had many cars and have had to pay for parts that failed outside the warranty period. Case in point is the Power Wagon I traded. Known issue of the exhaust manifold bolts breaking. One side broke and was covered under warranty. The other side broke just after I exceeded the miles for the warranty. That side was on me.
Like I said, if FCA has said they will pay for it please direct me to that. But I have not seen that. Defects in materials and workmanship are only covered during the specified warranty period.

I thought we were talking about the TSB not being covered due to a lift. If someone referred to repairs outside the 36/36 time frame I must have missed it. After 36/36 all bets are off as far as the base warranty is concerned.

RedRaptorJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR Launch Edition
I will continue my story here. I was denied by both a dealership and FCA Canada for having the Mopar Lift installed. The lift was installed by the dealership and is deemed aftermarket by FCA so thus, they won't honour the TSB. Truck is 9 months old with less than 6000kms on it. Its essentially new. Feeling completely abandoned and left down by Jeep....

I reached across the closed border to seek guidance from JeepCares and Darlene was able to speak to someone @ FCA Canada to have my case reopened and reviewed again!! Can't say enough on how impressed I was with this.

FCA Canada Senior Service Rep told me to bring back to dealership and they would speak to them before today's appointment.

Just dropped off the truck...it doesn't look good. The first thing they tell me as I pull in the service bay is how big my tires are and that's why my truck is wandering all over the highway...and they would be more open to diagnose it if I put back on my stock 33's...

:headbang:

I honestly do not understand how the majority of dealerships in the USA are honouring the TSB with trucks that have lifts, tires, etc while here in Canada (Toronto), they are pointing from mod to mod (lift first, now tires, what's next?).

Isn't it just easier to fix this for me especially if its under warranty?

MeanMachine

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon JT
Wanted to entitle this post "ineligible for tsb because of mopar lift, or complete incompetence by stealership." I took my jeep to the stealership today to get it checked out for the TSB. I drove it back from west texas this weekend and it was unbearable to drive. White knuckle driving the entire trip. Every bump at 60+ felt like I was going to swerve into the other lane.

When I took it to the stealership the suit at the desk told me that he checked out my problem and that he recommends a track bar and a steering stabilizer (which I intend to do down the road, but I am not placing a bandaid over jeep's broken leg). He told me that the only problem with the steering is that I have 35s and only a mopar lift. I asked him several times why the mopar lift doesnt come with these components if these are potential problems. He had no answer. I walked to the parts desk and asked the parts guy if this was a potential problem (I approached him as if I were a prospective customer). He thought it was a ridiculous question and of course you shouldn't compromise drivability by installing a mopar lift kit and the 35 inch tires which the kit states it is capable of running. So these two gentlemen were on completely different pages.

I went back and talked to the suit behind the desk about the TSB. I asked him if the steering box in my truck is steel or aluminum. He stated that the TSB states that the steel and aluminum parts are for different vehicles. My gladiator doesn't have such a part available, according to suit.

Quite frankly, I have no idea what is going on with Huffines if DFW. I am pretty forlorn about the whole situation. I have wanted a jeep for a very long time and saved up to buy one, and now it is extremely unenjoyable to drive. Not only is it a very unpleasant driving experience, but the people at the dealership who are supposed to help me fix my $45k truck seem to lack the knowledge requisite to fix my problem, and the ambition necessary to at least be of some modicum of help.

What would you guys say the next step for me is? Do I take it to another stealership? Do I just buy the trackbar and steering stabilizer and install myself? Do I go trade the gladiator in and go with the Chevy Bison that I was thinking about? I really wanted my wife's next vehicle to be a grand wagoneer when they come out, but if this is how service works with Jeep then I can't imagine spending that much for an SUV. @JeepCares

Here's the paperwork:

IMG_20200930_172337_2.jpg

IMG_20200930_172321_2.jpg
So after dealing with a blown engine with, I tried to get the steering addressed. The dealer told me (per the paper work) that the issue was due to a lift in my truck - which I do not have. I specifically called out the TSB and what it says, and the dealer said they won't do it unless his technician agrees with the problem (same technician that listed my problem was due to the non-existent lift). So my over 60K truck with 12K miles I get a blown engine and now this treatment. @Jeep Cares - I am not a satisfied customer.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Scanning this thread, there's a whole lot of people who seem to think a TSB is the same as a recall...

TSBs are guidance from OEM engineering departments for the front-line techs and nothing more. They identify common issues that some vehicles may experience but by no means do they indicate a universal defect. Frequently they're for parts that are on one end of the "acceptable" spec outside the truck that cause issues when paired with other parts in similar condition.

They are not obligated to "honor" a TSB and they're not obligated to do the work. It's like any other repair and if you come in complaining about steering issues with a lifted/modified truck, they have every right to state that it's a potential factor and decline service. Good luck wasting your money chasing a Magnuson suit over it because they're right.

Sponsored

NEWBWHEELER

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer ST, 2020 Hydro blue Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Free loader
Iā€™m so confused by dealerships not wanting to do it. Does the dealership not get paid by Jeep for the job? why turn down the work?

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Iā€™m so confused by dealerships not wanting to do it. Does the dealership not get paid by Jeep for the job? why turn down the work?
Warranty pays shit to the techs (like 2/3 normal rate) and the dealership doesn't get great reimbursement for it either.

Didn't mind warranty when things were slow but when there was a 12 hour gravy ticket sitting on my box and a recent buyer came in for warranty work that instantly became priority (becuase fuck you Chrysler 5-star rating) then I was doing everything I could to get it out of there as fast as I could.

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
I thought we were talking about the TSB not being covered due to a lift. If someone referred to repairs outside the 36/36 time frame I must have missed it. After 36/36 all bets are off as far as the base warranty is concerned.
Someone posted a response that they were denied by their aftermarket warranty. A couple people jumped on and said warranty didn't matter that FCA was paying. I said I had not heard that and that this was a warranty issue.

To the OP, sorry for going off topic a bit. There are dealers out there that do try to avoid this work. Part of it is the technicians because many times these jobs don't pay as well as straight time work. Sadly most dealer technicians have devolved into simple parts changers. The art of diagnosis has been turned over to a code scanner. Even at Jeep dealerships the techs know nothing of lifts and suspension mods. A good number of dealers that sell new Jeeps with lifts installed have it done by outside shops because their techs can't do it.

@RedRaptorJT sorry to hear of your trouble. There are many stories of dealers here in the States that won't do it either, pointing to anything they can. Your best option my be to try another dealer. Hopefully Jeepcares can help you out. The latest version of the TSB says lifts don't matter.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Even at Jeep dealerships the techs know nothing of lifts and suspension mods. A good number of dealers that sell new Jeeps with lifts installed have it done by outside shops because their techs can't do it.
LOL. Most don't want the hassle of dealing with aftermarket vendors warranty's and associated liabilities. If a tech can replace a ecodiesel he can install a podunk lift.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
So after dealing with a blown engine with, I tried to get the steering addressed. The dealer told me (per the paper work) that the issue was due to a lift in my truck - which I do not have. I specifically called out the TSB and what it says, and the dealer said they won't do it unless his technician agrees with the problem (same technician that listed my problem was due to the non-existent lift). So my over 60K truck with 12K miles I get a blown engine and now this treatment. @Jeep Cares - I am not a satisfied customer.
Hello @MeanMachine
We have responded to your private message. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to assist you with this concern. Please continue to work with us in PMs in order to avoid any missed communication.

Kathryn
JeepCares
Sponsored