Installing Mopar Rear Bed Rock Rails on Overland and Sport Gladiators

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
Correct me if I am wrong, but the long bolt goes there. The other bolts do not thread in there.

IMG_9763.jpg
A longer M12 bolt should go through the opposite way that this pic shows, but it also goes through both walls of that hitch bracket below the frame rail, and then the end of the bolt threads into that pressed-in nut on the rock rail bracket. There's also a spacer (small pipe section) that sits between the 2 walls of the hitch bracket that the bolt goes through to keep the the walls from compressing together when you tighten the bolt. Unfortunately I think the only way to get that pipe piece between the hitch bracket's walls is to either buy the rubicon specific hitch, or cut your own custom piece to slide in there which is what my plan is.

I believe the long M12 we need is this one (6512886AA @2, 1 per side just at that lowest mounting point per side):

These are the bolts you need with order numbers to mount the rock rails to the frame of the truck.

image.jpg

image.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Enginerd
Redrock 4x4 makes these now for about half the price of the Mopar ones, and dont look bad either. That's what I'm going with.
Agreed, I think the Redrock ones have better functionality (and value), but I stumbled across a JT steel rear bumper that included the rear rock rail brackets and rails for $100 on FB marketplace :rock:, so just trying to get the info straightened out for everyone else going down this route.

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed, I think the Redrock ones have better functionality (and value), but I stumbled across a JT steel rear bumper that included the rear rock rail brackets and rails for $100 on FB marketplace :rock:, so just trying to get the info straightened out for everyone else going down this route.
You lucked out on that one! Good deal

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Enginerd
So I finally got my bottom M12 bolts in to secure the slider bracket to the hitch, and ran to the hardware store to get parts to create my spacer for inside the hitch bracket. Details below.

Parts I used for bottom connection of bed slider mounting bracket:
- M12 bolt: 6512886AA @2 (from dealership for $5 each)
- M12 flat washers @4 (got a 5-pack at home depot for a couple bucks)
- 1/2" EMT conduit to act as spacer (got a 5' length for around $4).

I assembled it so that the conduit and 2 flat washers go inside the hitch bracket, and the bolt with it's pre-installed washer would be on the outside. The nut that it threads into is pre-welded (or pressed) into the rock slider bracket.

Parts:
Jeep Gladiator Installing Mopar Rear Bed Rock Rails on Overland and Sport Gladiators 1644021847370

Assembled (1 goes on each side of the jeep):
Jeep Gladiator Installing Mopar Rear Bed Rock Rails on Overland and Sport Gladiators 1644021706351

Pic of it installed (passenger side, looking toward the rear of the vehicle):
Jeep Gladiator Installing Mopar Rear Bed Rock Rails on Overland and Sport Gladiators 1644021879757

Last edited:

Sponsored

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
So I finally got my bottom M12 bolts in to secure the slider bracket to the hitch, and ran to the hardware store to get parts to create my spacer for inside the hitch bracket. Details below.

Parts I used for bottom connection of bed slider mounting bracket:
- M12 bolt: 6512886AA @2 (from dealership for $5 each)
- M12 flat washers @4 (got a 5-pack at home depot for a couple bucks)
- 1/2" EMT conduit to act as spacer (got a 5' length for around $4).

I assembled it so that the conduit and 2 flat washers go inside the hitch bracket, and the bolt with it's pre-installed washer would be on the outside. The nut that it threads into is pre-welded (or pressed) into the rock slider bracket.

Parts:
Jeep Gladiator Installing Mopar Rear Bed Rock Rails on Overland and Sport Gladiators 1644021879757

Assembled (1 goes on each side of the jeep):

Pic of it installed (passenger side, looking toward the rear of the vehicle):
Same thing I did. Nice little piece of pipe and done!.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Same thing I did. Nice little piece of pipe and done!.
Did your cardboard idea work? Literally just cut around that outline you made with it?

My truck did not come with the tow package. I bought the OEM class IV hitch from BAM. It included the pressed in spacer. Just for reference.

20220321_164245.jpg

Last edited:

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Did your cardboard idea work? Literally just cut around that outline you made with it?

My truck did not come with the tow package. I bought the Class IV hitch from BAM. It included the pressed in spacer. Just for reference.
Yes the cardboard piece worked out nicely. I think I still have it too

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
What do you guys torque your bolts to? 25 ft?

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
So I weighed each rail/bracket assembly including bolts. 16.6lbs each.

I figured my wife and I could each lose 16.6 and then not have added weight to the truck, then realized it'd be wiser if I just lost 33.2 myself and not ask her to lose weight. ;)

Sponsored

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
So I weighed each rail/bracket assembly including bolts. 16.6lbs each.

I figured my wife and I could each lose 16.6 and then not have added weight to the truck, then realized it'd be wiser if I just lost 33.2 myself and not ask her to lose weight. ;)
Wise man says don't ask how much she weighs. Just say you look fantastic honey. Carry on.
Jeep Gladiator Installing Mopar Rear Bed Rock Rails on Overland and Sport Gladiators IMG_20210707_114929_01

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wise man says don't ask how much she weighs. Just say you look fantastic honey. Carry on.
Jeep Gladiator Installing Mopar Rear Bed Rock Rails on Overland and Sport Gladiators IMG_20210707_114929_01
I've got a set of these rails. What is that template for??

I've been putting off installing them because its cold and the truck is covered in salt. Now that things are warming up I need to get it done.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Enginerd
I've got a set of these rails. What is that template for??

I've been putting off installing them because its cold and the truck is covered in salt. Now that things are warming up I need to get it done.
He made the template to trim the plastic (non-rubicon) bumper so that the bed rock rails could mount to them.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
He made the template to trim the plastic (non-rubicon) bumper so that the bed rock rails could mount to them.
The template was a little short. Meaning. Once the line was drawn on the bumper for cut. There was a little fine tuning. I cut mine with an old Craftsman jigsaw. Figured it had experience being as how it was my dad's at one time. Second picture was the second side done. Came out a little cleaner.
Jeep Gladiator Installing Mopar Rear Bed Rock Rails on Overland and Sport Gladiators IMG_20220322_104927274
Jeep Gladiator Installing Mopar Rear Bed Rock Rails on Overland and Sport Gladiators IMG_20220322_105020131

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks
Sponsored