Installing Stock Rubicon Skid Plate on Sport

natepdx

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S - Sting Gray
I got ahold of a stock Rubicon (non Steel) front bumper and also the metal skid plate that goes with it - but it looks like I'm missing some sort of mounting brackets/hardware?
Does anyone know what that skid plate bolts into and if the brackets are available anywhere?
upload_2020-1-2_10-28-40.png
Sponsored

rickrogan

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon

Pocono-Jeep

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Dodge Durango
@natepdx did you get your skid plate installed? I'm in a similar situation now and trying to figure this out. I have the two brackets that @rickrogan mentioned, but it looks like I'm still missing a mount point that my Sport S doesn't have. Let me know if you found a solution. Thanks!

OP
OP
natepdx

natepdx

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just finally ordered all the parts I *should* need today, so won't have it actually installed for another week or so, but I think you should just need those 2 brackets, 4 hex nutserts, 4 bolts for the nutserts and 2 more bolts to attach the skid plate to that bracket.

So install should re-use the two holes from the existing thin metal plate that our plastic skid plate goes into in the front, then two holes on those brackets.

What are you seeing that's missing, maybe I'm missing something too? I'll find out soon enough I guess.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
This is EXACTLY what I want to do with my Overland - a Rubicon skid plate without the steel bumper.
I need to find a skid plate and order the brackets. Want to replace the plastic air dam with a skid plate. Talked to a dealer parts guy and he didn't really know (I am not so sure they've even sold or worked on any JTs at this point) but he "guessed " it should work fine.

Sponsored

Pocono-Jeep

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the replies. I am going to try this again tomorrow. I will grab some pics and let you y'all know how it goes.

OP
OP
natepdx

natepdx

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well if this helps anyone, I ended up ordering from Quadratec - it was a couple bucks more on the parts, but free shipping since I was right at $49
Your Order

68353836AA.jpg
Item: 12112.0219
Mopar 68353836AA Passenger Side Front Bumper Skid Plate Bracket for 18-20 Jeep Wrangler JL & Gladiator JT with Steel Bumper
$9.99 each Qty: 1
$9.99
68353837AA.jpg
Item: 12112.0220
Mopar 68353837AA Driver Side Front Bumper Skid Plate Bracket for 18-20 Jeep Wrangler JL & Gladiator JT with Steel Bumper
$9.99 each Qty: 1
$9.99
Jeep Gladiator Installing Stock Rubicon Skid Plate on Sport {filename} Item: 12112.0221
Mopar 06511076AA Front Lower Skid Plate Nutsert for 18-20 Jeep Wrangler JL & Gladiator JT
$2.99 each Qty: 4
$11.96
Jeep Gladiator Installing Stock Rubicon Skid Plate on Sport {filename}
Item: 51315.0004
Mopar 6104414AA Hex Head Bolt and Cone Washer, M10x1.50x30 for 07-20 Jeep Wrangler JK, JL and Gladiator JT
$3.99 each Qty: 4
$15.96
Item: 12112.0218
Mopar 06512587AA Front Bumper Skid Plate Screw for 18-20 Jeep Wrangler JL & Gladiator JT with Steel Bumper
$0.99 each Qty: 4
$3.96

EDIT: Since people seem to still be referencing this post but missing the extra brackets needed listed later on:
Also required is the front brackets:
68356520AA RIGHT Front
68356521AA LEFT Front
6104414AA x4 More Bolt/Washer combs
06511076AA x4 More Nutserts

Last edited:

rickrogan

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Those parts are definitely needed for the rear part of the bracket. (Those also the other parts that are contained in of 82215183AB.)

I think that there is a pair of additional brackets that are needed to attach in the front.

I have a JT Rubicon that came from the factory with a plastic bumper and the optional steel skid plate. I recently replaced it with the steel bumper and needed to get a different (compatible) skid plate.

This weekend, I'm going to take the new skid plate off and see if I can pull these brackets off. (I didn't attach anything to them when installing the new skid plate. I talked to a dealer parts person and a service tech. They thought that the brackets shouldn't be needed for anything else.

Maybe someone else knows for sure???

Here are three photos:

1. Front view of Gladiator with the bumper off. The red box shows the bracket in question.

2. A comparison of the two skid plates. The one that works with the steel bumper on the top and the one for the factory skid plate is the bottom. Both are oriented in the same direction: JT front toward the bottom. Here you can see the difference... I put a red box around the spot where the bracket is used to attach this skid plate. (The rear mount point is the same for both skid plates... See the blue circle.

3. An (extreme) close-up of the The face of the bracket is in the upper part of the picture

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Those parts are definitely needed for the rear part of the bracket. (Those also the other parts that are contained in of 82215183AB.)

I think that there is a pair of additional brackets that are needed to attach in the front.

I have a JT Rubicon that came from the factory with a plastic bumper and the optional steel skid plate. I recently replaced it with the steel bumper and needed to get a different (compatible) skid plate.

This weekend, I'm going to take the new skid plate off and see if I can pull these brackets off. (I didn't attach anything to them when installing the new skid plate. I talked to a dealer parts person and a service tech. They thought that the brackets shouldn't be needed for anything else.

Maybe someone else knows for sure???

Here are three photos:

1. Front view of Gladiator with the bumper off. The red box shows the bracket in question.

2. A comparison of the two skid plates. The one that works with the steel bumper on the top and the one for the factory skid plate is the bottom. Both are oriented in the same direction: JT front toward the bottom. Here you can see the difference... I put a red box around the spot where the bracket is used to attach this skid plate. (The rear mount point is the same for both skid plates... See the blue circle.

3. An (extreme) close-up of the The face of the bracket is in the upper part of the picture

Thanks - good info. I still hope to put a skid plate on my Overland and am hoping for enough info - and to even find the parts from a Rubicon, to install on my JT.

Pocono-Jeep

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the write up on this Rick. I am attaching a picture of the driver frame rail on my Sport S that doesn't have this additional angled bracket. It seems this is going to be needed to get the factory JTR skid plate installed on a non-rubicon model.

Sponsored

rickrogan

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Here is the info on the additional brackets mentioned in my previous post.

They are part numbers 68356520AA (passenger side) and 68356521AA (driver side).

Here is a picture of the passenger side bracket on:

And here is a picture of the bracket off:

An important thing that I learned when looking at this very closely was that in the first picture, you can see the bracket in contact with the (steel) bumper.

When I pulled the bracket off, I noticed that there was a considerable amount of stress at the contact point. That is, the bumper was jamming hard into the bracket.

This helped to explain why I had such a hard time getting the skid plate bolted on... I think it's because the bumper was having a hard time getting close enough to the frame... because these brackets were impeding it.

It also helped to make clear that these brackets are not needed for the combo of the steel bumper and the 82215183AB skid plate.

This weekend, I'll likely pull the skid plate off and re-torque the bolts on the front bumper, just to make sure that there isn't any slack in there.

BTW: While I got the bracket bolts out easily enough the rivnuts didn't come out. I didn't make that much of an effort, but I'm happy to take advice on that.

rickrogan

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
btw: I think that the rivnuts are 6511076AA

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Here is the info on the additional brackets mentioned in my previous post.

They are part numbers 68356520AA (passenger side) and 68356521AA (driver side).

Here is a picture of the passenger side bracket on:

And here is a picture of the bracket off:

An important thing that I learned when looking at this very closely was that in the first picture, you can see the bracket in contact with the (steel) bumper.

When I pulled the bracket off, I noticed that there was a considerable amount of stress at the contact point. That is, the bumper was jamming hard into the bracket.

This helped to explain why I had such a hard time getting the skid plate bolted on... I think it's because the bumper was having a hard time getting close enough to the frame... because these brackets were impeding it.

It also helped to make clear that these brackets are not needed for the combo of the steel bumper and the 82215183AB skid plate.

This weekend, I'll likely pull the skid plate off and re-torque the bolts on the front bumper, just to make sure that there isn't any slack in there.

BTW: While I got the bracket bolts out easily enough the rivnuts didn't come out. I didn't make that much of an effort, but I'm happy to take advice on that.
The rivnuts don't come out. They create a threaded bolt hole where there was previously empty space. They are meant to be a permanent install.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I don't have time to look up the part numbers, but there is a total of 4 brackets, 2 on the bottom of the frame horn and 2 on the side of the frame horn as well as the associated bolts/rivnuts

I do have the 2 that came off the side of the frame when I took mine off, I'll have to look for them but I am about to be gone for a couple of days

rickrogan

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I don't have time to look up the part numbers, but there is a total of 4 brackets, 2 on the bottom of the frame horn and 2 on the side of the frame horn as well as the associated bolts/rivnuts

I do have the 2 that came off the side of the frame when I took mine off, I'll have to look for them but I am about to be gone for a couple of days
All the part numbers should be in this thread... copying from above and summarizing

Four mount points for the steel skid plate for the Rubicon plastic bumper...

Forward mount points: 68356520AA (passenger side) and 68356521AA (driver side).
Rear mount points: 68353836AA (driver side) and 68353836AB (passenger side)

(Fastener info in the post from @natepdx)
Sponsored