Is it easy to steal a Jeep?

Jabakkarabbit

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I shouldn't be up this late reading of all this thievery...

I've got good insurance , but I guess I need to cover all the add-ons that keep adding up.
Sponsored

Bitching

First Name
Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willy’s
Occupation
Logistics
Soft Top JT from the outside 2 pull tabs and back window slides out.
Anyone know how to lock that?
Had a JL soft top and a locked tailgate prevented removal of back window.

MPETE

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler Sport, 2015 NIssan Frontier SV crew cab VTP 4x4, 1996 Chevy S10 excab sportside 4.3 5spd
Occupation
F*rd parts guy
Soft Top JT from the outside 2 pull tabs and back window slides out.
Anyone know how to lock that?
Had a JL soft top and a locked tailgate prevented removal of back window.
It's a soft top. A knife will defeat any security you think you have. If you're THAT concerned about it, a soft top jeep is probably not the ideal vehicle for you.

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
Two words TRUNK MONKEY
The only cost is bananas. After you buy the monkey and a crow bar.

Sponsored

Rummie

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '24 Model X Plaid
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
I am not an expert on this but I read about Relay thefts recently. Seems it's pretty easy to pick up the transmitter from your key fob if it's anywhere near the door to your house and relay it to an accomplice at the vehicle to open/start. You can defeat it by having the key further away or with a Faraday box for your fob. Plenty of them available on Amazon. Cheap deterrent for what seems a somewhat common way for professionals to get your Jeep in the right circumstances.

Bitching

First Name
Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willy’s
Occupation
Logistics
It's a soft top. A knife will defeat any security you think you have. If you're THAT concerned about it, a soft top jeep is probably not the ideal vehicle for you.
It’s a valid concern, while I asked if anyone had a solution? That’s what I enjoy about the Wrangler and Gladiator, at some point, we come across someone had done this or that to address the problem. Most often I don’t even lock the doors.
On a similar note, but not really. In our house I changed the door locks, front & back door as well as the garage door so that I have only one key. My wife keeps insisting and locking the back screen glass door (closer to the garage) that cannot be unlocked from the outside. Our debate always ends with, if someone really wants in they’ll have to brake the glass and then deal with the locked door. Then I would have to replace the glass door. All the while when coming home to a locked house I must use the front door, that also has a screen/glass door that is never locked.
Things that make me go Hmmm 🤔

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
It’s a valid concern, while I asked if anyone had a solution? That’s what I enjoy about the Wrangler and Gladiator, at some point, we come across someone had done this or that to address the problem. Most often I don’t even lock the doors.
On a similar note, but not really. In our house I changed the door locks, front & back door as well as the garage door so that I have only one key. My wife keeps insisting and locking the back screen glass door (closer to the garage) that cannot be unlocked from the outside. Our debate always ends with, if someone really wants in they’ll have to brake the glass and then deal with the locked door. Then I would have to replace the glass door. All the while when coming home to a locked house I must use the front door, that also has a screen/glass door that is never locked.
Things that make me go Hmmm 🤔
I'm sure I could come up with a number of things to lock the rear slide out window in place, but as said before, it would only take a knife to get in.
I would rather leave the doors unlocked with a paper sign that read "doors are open, nothing worth taking"

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
with a raspberry pi (or laptop) and some simple online instructions building a relay device is easy. The main limitation for this type of theft is that it has to be relatively targeted....you have to pick a car and have a good idea of where the key is gonna be. The key is typically near the driver/owner thus potentially putting the thief within line of site of the owner. That is why these thefts typically happen at night when the owner is in their home and the thief has a good idea of where the car and key are. This approach can be complicated if there is more the one vehicle present with a key fob, the thief will have to differentiate which code he stole and prolong/increase his risk of getting caught. A clever approach is to perform the attack while driving....when the victim is driving, a 2 man thief team performs the attack in transit. The car gets stolen when ever its parked. Still requires you to be close but can be done at a long traffic light.

Sponsored

DirtySaylor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Every once in awhile I come across a story of a wrangler/gladiator being stolen. So here is my question: Are JLs and JTs easy to steal?
Perception on this could be skewed. Jeeps are attention grabbing vehicles to thieves thanks to the soft tops and general idea that people keep them unlocked. But once you are in, is there really something about a Jeep that makes it any easier to steal than another make?
This is top of mind for me as I'm about to place my order for my first Jeep. I've been thinking of ways to prevent it, such as a hidden kill switch.
VERY easy. Just this past weekend in Tampa Bay 3 jeeps were stolen. The article states they were seen headed towards miami. https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/...len-in-minutes-from-pasco-county-neighborhood

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
To be fair to jeep... they no easier or harder to steal then pretty much any other car on the market. The most common codes/Algorithms used in key fobs was doxed years ago.

Jonny A

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Bridge Construction and Maintenance
Every once in awhile I come across a story of a wrangler/gladiator being stolen. So here is my question: Are JLs and JTs easy to steal?
Perception on this could be skewed. Jeeps are attention grabbing vehicles to thieves thanks to the soft tops and general idea that people keep them unlocked. But once you are in, is there really something about a Jeep that makes it any easier to steal than another make?
This is top of mind for me as I'm about to place my order for my first Jeep. I've been thinking of ways to prevent it, such as a hidden kill switch.
I really couldn't tell you... as I have never stole a car or truck, only my wife's heart. But I digress. I would think any vehicle is easy to steal if someone really wants it. JLs and JR's are desirable so I would guess they would be prone to being stolen. Don't make it easy by leaving it open with keys visible or the like. The hidden kill switch sounds nice, but a pro probably will find those. Maybe a encrypted code sent via Bluetooth or WiFi to the onboard computer to not allow the engine to run would help. Sort of like what Apple does with their iPhones, even FBI can't or has a hard time unlocking them.

Jonny A

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Bridge Construction and Maintenance
The razor blades in popcorn balls that led parents everywhere to keep their kids away from strangers' houses for trick or treat? Several journalists have tried to investigate and have concluded - myth. Not one single provable instance ever found. No doctor or hospital records, no true original newspaper story, nothing. All myth.
People can be sick. We had razor blades found in the Halloween candy a couple years back, I saw it in the news. Not Myth. Just recently in some apples at the supermarket. And one that really gets ya, plastic slide with the cover, like a tube. Some low life heated up razor blades and melted them into the plastic, hidden from sight. It injured a little kid. Who ever did any of the above doesn't deserves to see another day if you were to ask me. I don't know how you haven't seen or read about a provable instance.
https://www.truthorfiction.com

MPETE

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler Sport, 2015 NIssan Frontier SV crew cab VTP 4x4, 1996 Chevy S10 excab sportside 4.3 5spd
Occupation
F*rd parts guy
I really couldn't tell you... as I have never stole a car or truck, only my wife's heart. But I digress. I would think any vehicle is easy to steal if someone really wants it. JLs and JR's are desirable so I would guess they would be prone to being stolen. Don't make it easy by leaving it open with keys visible or the like. The hidden kill switch sounds nice, but a pro probably will find those. Maybe a encrypted code sent via Bluetooth or WiFi to the onboard computer to not allow the engine to run would help. Sort of like what Apple does with their iPhones, even FBI can't or has a hard time unlocking them.
Can't I just make a big foil hat for the Jeep instead?

Seriously though, you said yourself that if someone really wants it they will get it. So the encrypted code seems like a lot of complicated effort and stuff that could fail and leave you stranded. Because none of that will stop a flatbed from grabbing it.
Sponsored