Sponsored

To Select-Trac or not?--Found one without it for a steal...

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Reading it now, i had read it a while ago but there are a lot more informative new posts. There's an owner that lives in the PNW like me and I think his view is going to be the most applicable to our climate. Thinking I might have to figure out how to get a better deal on a custom build or on the other only two vehicles I found in all of WA state that have it and are already built.
Rather than make a new thread where people will be rehashing this argument, should've just continued the other thread with your dilemma.
Sponsored

TYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I have (from what I can tell) a great deal in the works for over 10% off MRSP on a well-equipped Mojave (First time Jeep buyer, yay!) but it does not have Select-Trac... I'm assuming keeping it in 4 high when driving in inclement weather (snow/slush) would be equivalent and it would just require a little training with the Mrs.? She's used to our Outback and snow tires so there's not a ton of thinking that's required, she just slows down as needed and the Outback does the rest. Does anyone know or think that we will be losing anything significant from a safety standpoint as long as we are vigilant and shift when needed? I could probably get a Mojave built with the same features and Select-Trac but I don't think I'd ever get this kind of deal... As far as I can tell from the dealer and online, it probably won't be possible or sanely priced to upgrade it to Select-Trac later.

I will say that we drive a LOT in the mountain passes here so are at freeway speeds (but slow down for conditions unlike so many others I see screaming over the passes) and road conditions can go from wet and passable to slick and slushy in less than a mile.

Thoughts?
10% off MSRP is about exactly the same as 4% below invoice. At that rate, I’d say it’s a good deal but not “great”. If it were me, I’d want ALL the features that are important for me for my hard earned $. Given your description of how/where you drive and the Mrs. I’d wait for selec-trac

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
If a Subaru Outback is your frame of reference, the closest setup to that on a JL/JT would be Select-Trac + rear LSD. This provides maximum traction on snowy/ slushy/ slippery road conditions. This is the setup I have on my JL; it is truly seamless and virtually unstoppable in winter conditions.

I believe you can add a rear LSD only on Sport S, Willys and Overland trims, but I could be wrong.

My Wrangler Sahara —equivalent to Overland— with Selec-Trac, rear LSD and ATs
Jeep Gladiator To Select-Trac or not?--Found one without it for a steal... 29D3D175-83AC-4EFF-9F66-F91DC46AD36B

OP
OP

npgeorgeuw

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R and 2017 Chevrolet Bolt
Occupation
Business Owner
Rather than make a new thread where people will be rehashing this argument, should've just continued the other thread with your dilemma.
Who's arguing?--I'm responding to people that took the time to respond. There has been useful input in both posts.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Just for kicks I went on Jeep.com and was able to select rear LSD on an Overland. I didn’t try any other trims.

I know you cannot get the LSD on Rubicon or Mojave due to the selectable locker, but I don’t know on what other trims it is available. Pretty sure it is standard on Willys.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Just for kicks I went on Jeep.com and was able to select rear LSD on an Overland. I didn’t try any other trims.

I know you cannot get the LSD on Rubicon or Mojave due to the selectable locker, but I don’t know on what other trims it is available. Pretty sure it is standard on Willys.
It's always been available on Overland, my understanding is that it was added later as a choice on the Sport S max tow. I ordered mine with LSD in October 2019, always been an option at that level.

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
It's always been available on Overland, my understanding is that it was added later as a choice on the Sport S max tow. I ordered mine with LSD in October 2019, always been an option at that level.
Shadows, do you have select track?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Shadows, do you have select track?
No, that option wasn't available for the 2020 model year. It's a newly introduced option for JT in the 21 model year. Wish I did have it but then I like this truck so don't have immediate plans - unless there was an inexpensive way to convert!

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
No, that option wasn't available for the 2020 model year. It's a newly introduced option for JT in the 21 model year. Wish I did have it but then I like this truck so don't have immediate plans - unless there was an inexpensive way to convert!
Well my 2021 was built in Dec and it wasn’t available then either according to the dealer. I asked for it but no dice. Strange that because I’m with you - if a reasonable conversion was available I’d hammer that.

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I have Trac Lok on my max tow, it was built 7/20 and part of the max tow package, this video demonstrates it pretty well. around 9:20

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW

It is part of the Willys package, info from Jeep's website:

TRAC-LOK® LIMITED SLIP REAR DIFFERENTIAL AND ROCK RAILS

Willys features a Trac-Lok® Limited Slip Rear Differential that offers impressive traction as you tackle off-road terrain while steel rock rails help protect your vehicle as you go.

Last edited:

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO

Cam you regear with lsd? Might be a stupid question ..

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I’m understanding 2 different things here. I have LSD, but not Select Trac Transfer case. I have Command Trac Tc.
Sponsored