Sponsored

To Select-Trac or not?--Found one without it for a steal...

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
You'll need CV joints in the front instead of U-Joints, as well. Not so straightforward.
This isn’t a complete requirement.

It was a common mod on a ZJ with the NP249 full time case to actually ditch the cv axles and go with a 297 u-jointed shaft. Easy to fix on the trail. No boot to worry about tearing.
Sponsored

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
Necessity is the mother of invention!

OP
OP

npgeorgeuw

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R and 2017 Chevrolet Bolt
Occupation
Business Owner
Good to know, now I will see if I can get the dealer and FCA to spring for a conversion. Yah, I know, good fing luck!
[/QUO
You'll need CV joints in the front instead of U-Joints, as well. Not so straightforward.
Yeah, the two dealers I talked to suggested it would be "completely" price inhibitive... (aka you would want to just buy a new car).--Their words fwiw.

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I defintly agree with what everyone says about selec trac except black ice. HAving lived in Colorado, Utah, and other states east and south where it shows up a lot Other than studs or ice tires it means absolutely nothing whether you have 2, 4, AWD or what when you have entered black ice as true black ice causes the loss of ALL traction until you hit something to regain traction or slow enough to. When I was a cop we used to call all the AWDs and 4WDs off the road drivers who though their vehicle was an all wheel stop or 4 wheel stop…tires are the most important. Yes once you get some form of traction the AWD or 4WD will help

Black ice conditions require slow speeds and when you see cars slide on it, slow down no braking.

OP
OP

npgeorgeuw

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R and 2017 Chevrolet Bolt
Occupation
Business Owner
I put Rubicon take-offs (Falken A/T tires) on my Overland for winter driving. What a difference!
My Falken AT3Ws were good but I've not heard wonderful things about the previous generation AT3s, that's good to hear though.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I have a full winter's worth of driving on the General A/Tx tires now and believe they are even better than the Falken A/T tires I had in winter of 20/21.
I've driven on ice roads after multiple ice storms, packed snow, fresh snow, and mixes of all kinds and am very happy with the performance of the A/Tx tires on this truck.
Sponsored