Sponsored

To Select-Trac or not?--Found one without it for a steal...

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I’m understanding 2 different things here. I have LSD, but not Select Trac Transfer case. I have Command Trac Tc.
Correct. The OP is considering a Mojave with Selec-Trac as a means to drive in snow, like he is used to doing in his Subaru Outback.

But Mojave has an open rear diff with a selectable locker.
A rear LSD would give him better, more continuous traction in snow.
Sponsored

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
Correct. The OP is considering a Mojave with Selec-Trac. But Mojave has an open rear diff with a selectable locker.

A rear LSD would give him better traction in snow. That is all.
That’s what I understood as well. I was also attempting to figure out why the Overland was not offering Select Trac with the M210/220 axles and LSD. ShadowsPapa seemed to think it wa an option on the 2021 but my dealer said no.

Thanks,

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
That’s what I understood as well. I was also attempting to figure out why the Overland was not offering Select Trac with the M210/220 axles and LSD. ShadowsPapa seemed to think it wa an option on the 2021 but my dealer said no.

Thanks,
You can add Selec-Trac and LSD to an Overland on Jeep.com; I can’t comment on the axle.

On JL, the moment you add a LSD, you automatically get upgraded to a D44.

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Those axles are unique to the High Altitude on the Overland. Same spec as Mojave.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
It takes 12 of us —and one bad salesman— to figure out all of these details. :LOL:

I feel for the OP.

Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
I believe most all subarus use the brakes and do not have an actual limited slip unit in the diffs. The STI is the exception.

the subarus have a symmetrical AWD system that is a TRUE AWD system in that some power is always going to the front at the same time as the rear.

OP seems like a person that drives for the conditions and will adjust to pulling the lever to go to 4wd just fine.

If it’s that good if a deal, do it.

or , wait and get what you want.

OP
OP

npgeorgeuw

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R and 2017 Chevrolet Bolt
Occupation
Business Owner
I believe most all subarus use the brakes and do not have an actual limited slip unit in the diffs. The STI is the exception.

the subarus have a symmetrical AWD system that is a TRUE AWD system in that some power is always going to the front at the same time as the rear.

OP seems like a person that drives for the conditions and will adjust to pulling the lever to go to 4wd just fine.

If it’s that good if a deal, do it.

or , wait and get what you want.
Said very well and thank you all for your input. Between this and the other ongoing thread, I've had a serious education. Although it's an awesome deal, I found a Willys for about the same MRSP off with basically the same other features I wanted. That Willys has the LSD rear diff and select-trac, really it's about the Mrs. and simplicity for her sake, she's a good driver for the conditions perhaps far more conservative that me but wouldn't like fiddling with things. With a 2 inch lift and 35s I feel like it's going to be a good match for the on-road and forest service "trails" that I frequent for fly fishing. It'll have plenty of clearance for deep snow and with the right tires I see nothing stopping it. I think it'll be a perfect starter for my first foray into anything truck or off-road. I'm really psyched right now, actually.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Said very well and thank you all for your input. Between this and the other ongoing thread, I've had a serious education. Although it's an awesome deal, I found a Willys for about the same MRSP off with basically the same other features I wanted. That Willys has the LSD rear diff and select-trac, really it's about the Mrs. and simplicity for her sake, she's a good driver for the conditions perhaps far more conservative that me but wouldn't like fiddling with things. With a 2 inch lift and 35s I feel like it's going to be a good match for the on-road and forest service "trails" that I frequent for fly fishing. It'll have plenty of clearance for deep snow and with the right tires I see nothing stopping it. I think it'll be a perfect starter for my first foray into anything truck or off-road. I'm really psyched right now, actually.
Fantastic! You’re gonna love it!
You will like selectrac a lot.
You will like sitting up higher with a more commanding view of the road and traffic around you.

Welcome to the family! Be sure and post a pic of the new Jeep when you take delivery.

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I’m understanding 2 different things here. I have LSD, but not Select Trac Transfer case. I have Command Trac Tc.
Be careful advertising you have LSD...........

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Hey were you spying on me in the 70’s?

Sponsored

Keyser_Soze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Ascent, 2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Well my 2021 was built in Dec and it wasn’t available then either according to the dealer. I asked for it but no dice. Strange that because I’m with you - if a reasonable conversion was available I’d hammer that.
I think a lot of times the sales people know less than we do. SelecTrac is an option as of the 2021s. My JTO, ordered at the beginning of this past September and built in October has it. Absolutely love it. Combined with LSD its nearly as competent on cruddy roads as my wife’s Subaru Ascent.

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Good to know, now I will see if I can get the dealer and FCA to spring for a conversion. Yah, I know, good fing luck!

Keyser_Soze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Ascent, 2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Good to know, now I will see if I can get the dealer and FCA to spring for a conversion. Yah, I know, good fing luck!
I’m pretty sure it’s a different transfer case. I believe you got the MP1622 while the MP3022 is the SelecTrac transfer case. Not trying to rain on your parade, but that would be a very expensive swap.

And I get wanting the SelecTrac. With our weather and roads I was over switching back and forth between 2Hi and 4Hi, so I was only springing for a Gladiator if it had this functionality.

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Yes , it is as you describe. Maybe I will ask a couple of wrecking yards to keep an eye out for a totalled unit with that TC, as well as the wiring harness and shifter. That should be all that is needed unless the driveshaft comes out a different length. But I’m unsure of the total requirements. I guess I’ll have to ask the dealer for a detailed quote to find out.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
You'll need CV joints in the front instead of U-Joints, as well. Not so straightforward.

Yes , it is as you describe. Maybe I will ask a couple of wrecking yards to keep an eye out for a totalled unit with that TC, as well as the wiring harness and shifter. That should be all that is needed unless the driveshaft comes out a different length. But I’m unsure of the total requirements. I guess I’ll have to ask the dealer for a detailed quote to find out.
Sponsored