Sponsored

Is Selec-Trac worth trading in your 2020 Gladiator for a 2021?

berb

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gadiator Sport / Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited
Occupation
Teacher
I bought a 2020 Sport S in June. I have noticed it is not hard to fishtail the Gladiator in any slick conditions, even in the rain. I have a 2019 Wrangler JLU and I have tried to fishtail it in 2wd and have been unsuccessful. I know the difference between the 2 vehicles is the weight over the rear wheels and the extended wheel base in the Gladiator.

Used Gladiator and Wrangler prices in my area are crazy right now. I can trade in my 2020 for a 2021 with the exact same options and the addition of the Aux Switch Bay for about $1,000 out of pocket. (I put down $1,000 on my 2020 in June.)

Is it worth doing just to have better traction in the rain and light snow when you can't drop into 4H?
This is also a good question for people looking to buy a 2021; Is spending an extra $700 to get Selec-Trac worth it?
Sponsored

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
What is this Selec-Trac you speak of? I have a 2021.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
No. If you are really having issues in the truck sliding out on you, you either need to slow down, get appropriate tires, or control your right foot. It's a truck so of course it's easy to get it to slide out if you try.

But, if you truly get it and only be out $1k, it will probably be worth it because the 2021 will have a greater residual value than a 2020 down the road that covers that gap. Once you figure in all your sunk costs and all, there's no way you're only out $1k, you're out everything you've paid to date plus $1k and you're starting over.

So the answer is still no.

OP
OP
berb

berb

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gadiator Sport / Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited
Occupation
Teacher
No. If you are really having issues in the truck sliding out on you, you either need to slow down, get appropriate tires, or control your right foot. It's a truck so of course it's easy to get it to slide out if you try.

But, if you truly get it and only be out $1k, it will probably be worth it because the 2021 will have a greater residual value than a 2020 down the road that covers that gap. Once you figure in all your sunk costs and all, there's no way you're only out $1k, you're out everything you've paid to date plus $1k and you're starting over.

So the answer is still no.
I know why it was sliding out. I was just surprised at how easily it slid out compared to my Wrangler JLU. Tires are the 18" Bridgestone HTs

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
You're always going to lose on the money so let's put that aside.

Do you want select-trac? Really that's the question here. Would you always like to be in 4ish high range?

While I love having a stick shift deep low range, all chest hair & no whining off road dirt eating savage... my wife's 4matic MB is the chariot of choice for scummy on road conditions. I touch nothing, shift nothing, feel nothing and just drive and let it bang away. Perhaps if I'm feeling the moment I can put the PCM into "Slippery" and let the transmission and throttle do some more work.

Yes there is a place for full time nanny mode and it's all those times you just need to go to the store and it's lightly iffy and you just don't want to be bothered. It's early, it's snowing, there is no 1/3, 1/3 & 1/3 and dang it you just want a big hot mug of bitter burned bean tea.

So yeah, you want select-trac? Go ahead and do it and be happy.

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Living in West Michigan I haven't had to use 4x4 on the roads yet; 2wd and traction control have been sufficient for the conditions.
I have the dueler a/t with no weight in the bed. I can get the truck to break traction and spin out, but only when trying to. Otherwise, moderate throttle has worked for me.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I've had AWD vehicles (SUV's specifically) over the last 23 years (damn I'm getting old). I would prefer that to 2WD despite any additional complexity. The SlecTrac is virtually unique in having a 2Hi function in addition to AWD, 4Hi and 4Lo. Neither the Fords nor GM's I've had in the past gave that option, though I hacked the Ford Explorer to get that functionality with a hardware switch.

If I'd had the option last June, I would have happy paid the upcharge for it, but I'm not trading a truck I'm VERY happy with just to get SelecTrac.

OTOH, I live in California with snow a mere 75 minute drive away. My tune would change about trading up if the climate here was different!

I find the lack of a Limited Slip function the only real frustration with my JTR, it requires a different driving style from the one I've become accustomed to since '97.

gt3mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
It looks like there's also a full time AWD Rock-Trac 4:1 transfer case option for the Rubicon. I kind of wish I went that way, but not enough to trade mine in.

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
There is another thread with info on swapping the transfer case, no real world info yet but the case itself is only $1300 iirc, I would be tempted to do the swap if that was all that was involved.

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
No brainer if you can do it for $1k out of pocket.

gt3mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
There is another thread with info on swapping the transfer case, no real world info yet but the case itself is only $1300 iirc, I would be tempted to do the swap if that was all that was involved.
I'd be surprised if you didn't need to switch to CVs too.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
I bought a 2020 Sport S in June. I have noticed it is not hard to fishtail the Gladiator in any slick conditions, even in the rain. I have a 2019 Wrangler JLU and I have tried to fishtail it in 2wd and have been unsuccessful. I know the difference between the 2 vehicles is the weight over the rear wheels and the extended wheel base in the Gladiator.

Used Gladiator and Wrangler prices in my area are crazy right now. I can trade in my 2020 for a 2021 with the exact same options and the addition of the Aux Switch Bay for about $1,000 out of pocket. (I put down $1,000 on my 2020 in June.)

Is it worth doing just to have better traction in the rain and light snow when you can't drop into 4H?
This is also a good question for people looking to buy a 2021; Is spending an extra $700 to get Selec-Trac worth it?
unless youre looking for a reason to get a new truck, no. Just put better tires on it.