Sponsored

IS THE ECODIESEL RIGHT FOR YOU?

EU_Gladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BU Renegade Trailhawk Diesel - JT Gladiator Diesel
I guess this question is much easier to answer if you are based in Europe like me... diesel fuel prices are cheaper than gas prices, and diesel engine trucks/SUVs are offered at the same price level as gasoline equipped trucks/SUVs

So for me it will be a no brainer :like:
Sponsored

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
I guess this question is much easier to answer if you are based in Europe like me... diesel fuel prices are cheaper than gas prices, and diesel engine trucks/SUVs are offered at the same price level as gasoline equipped trucks/SUVs

So for me it will be a no brainer :like:
In my area to fill up a Gladiator with diesel would cost about $10 more per tank full.

A major concern for me would be the size of the EGR cooler, size matters as this determines heat passing thru the EGR system which has an impact on EGR valves and sensors and the sensors on the exhaust system if any of these get too hot or fail the engine goes into limp mode. Also some people do not understand regen if the motor goes into regen this process must be completed before turning off the motor which can take up to 30 minutes this process is done to clean the EGR system the best it can, while driving it`s easy to know when this is happening as the engine gets louder and you lose power. The EGR system is complicated with a lot of parts that can fail.

I have tons of experience with diesels starting from the 80`s and currently have a 2017 MB Sprinter 4x4 and a 2019 F-250 SD 4x4 diesels. The issue with the Jeep is space as i see a lot of parts being put in a small area and compromises could be made.

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
For high altitude towing (4,400 lbs) the Pentastar could work if I’m willing to run near redline. Some say it’s designed to do that. I just can’t wrap my brain around running any motor that way so I’m waiting for the diesel. Thoughts?

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
For high altitude towing (4,400 lbs) the Pentastar could work if I’m willing to run near redline. Some say it’s designed to do that. I just can’t wrap my brain around running any motor that way so I’m waiting for the diesel. Thoughts?
Towing takes common sense. You do not let others around you determine how you drive while towing you tow in a safe manner and your rigs capabilities. If one is at red line on any tow truck then one should back off. My SD F-250 pulling my 35ft. fifth wheel toy hauler at 10,000 ft. elevation pulling a grade will reach red line if i`m trying to keep up with the flow of traffic, towing means your not always going to be able to go the speed limit if your a smart and experienced tower.

I would not look at the Gladiator diesel as a truck for towing. If towing is the reason for buying a truck there are much better options. Occasional towing fine but then why the diesel over the gas motor? The diesel costs more up front, cost more to fill up, tows less and has three times as many parts that can fail.

If you want the diesel than that is what you should buy regardless, you do not want to have regrets buy what your gut is telling you to buy.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
tows less
We have indeed been warned that the diesel will have a lower tow rating. But I'd give odds that the same 5000 lb load (for example) will be towed a helluva lot better with the diesel. If someone wants that capability along with the other attributes of the JT, then pour coal! On my boat, I ordered the (expensive) optional switchable thru-hull exhaust. With my small block V8, all it does is make noise (beautiful noise). But it puts a huge smile on my face every. single. time. I look at the 3.0 in that vein. If the benefit to the buyer justifies the cost, then there ya go. The question unanswered of course is the long term liability.

Sponsored

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Also some people do not understand regen if the motor goes into regen this process must be completed before turning off the motor which can take up to 30 minutes this process is done to clean the EGR system the best it can, while driving it`s easy to know when this is happening as the engine gets louder and you lose power. The EGR system is complicated with a lot of parts that can fail.
This is not true. You do not have to let the regeneration to complete before turning off the engine. There are several times that I have shutoff the engine even though it's in the middle of a regeneration. The regeneration will pick up where it left off when you restart the vehicle.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Assuming you are towing within the capacity of the truck, the Ecodiesel will tow better than the Pentastar. I read an article that explained how the new 8 speed was designed to further improve the low-end torque of the 3.0L. I live at 7,000' feet, so I'm quite familiar with altitude driving. The turbo plays a big role at altitude.

The only reason why I would consider buying the Pentastar is if the gen. III Ecodiesel has a lot of emissions problems like the gen. II Ecodiesel. I love my gen. II, but it's not very reliable unless the truck has been deleted. Once deleted, the gen II Ecodiesel is mostly a good engine. My hope is that the gen. III with its split EGR system will greatly reduce soot coking.

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This is not true. You do not have to let the regeneration to complete before turning off the engine. There are several times that I have shutoff the engine even though it's in the middle of a regeneration. The regeneration will pick up where it left off when you restart the vehicle.
Not on my 2019 F-250. If you understand regen you know it`s not ECU programmed, going up a steep 10 mile grade it`s possible to go into regen 2-3 times the amount of fuel and gasses triggers regen in the EGR system lots of stop and go will trigger regen, a cool engine with no gasses in the system is not going to trigger a regen not allowing a regen to complete will clog DEF sensors and you will be replacing the cooler sooner than later. If you want your diesel and components to last some basic diesel knowledge is a must.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Not on my 2019 F-250. If you understand regen you know it`s not ECU programmed, going up a steep 10 mile grade it`s possible to go into regen 2-3 times the amount of fuel and gasses triggers regen in the EGR system lots of stop and go will trigger regen, a cool engine with no gasses in the system is not going to trigger a regen not allowing a regen to complete will clog DEF sensors and you will be replacing the cooler sooner than later. If you want your diesel and components to last some basic diesel knowledge is a must.
We are talking about the Ecodiesel, not a Ford. The 2014 - 2018 Ecodiesel doesn't display when the engine goes into a regeneration mode UNLESS the engine is doing a forced regeneration. You could, however, have that feature turned on when doing an aftermarket tune. When the engine is doing a forced regeneration, you still can shutoff your engine at the beginning, middle, or towards the end of the regeneration cycle. I've done it many times. The next time the engine is started, then the regeneration will begin where you left off.

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
We are talking about the Ecodiesel, not a Ford. The 2014 - 2018 Ecodiesel doesn't display when the engine goes into a regeneration mode UNLESS the engine is doing a forced regeneration. You could, however, have that feature turned on when doing an aftermarket tune. When the engine is doing a forced regeneration, you still can shutoff your engine at the beginning, middle, or towards the end of the regeneration cycle. I've done it many times. The next time the engine is started, then the regeneration will begin where you left off.
That`s interesting maybe that`s why they had so many issues with the Ecodiesel. 13 years ago when the EGR system started appearing on diesels the manufactures said that a regen could be restarted at start up, then after about 6-7 years of issues Ford anyway in their owners manual stated that a regen cycle was to be completed before shutting down the engine. From the very beginning of EGR i never had such issues as i let the regens complete themselves, i was lucky and had friends at Diesel Power Mag. who guided me avoiding the pitfalls.

Diesels are wonderful if needed in the right application.

Sponsored

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
That`s interesting maybe that`s why they had so many issues with the Ecodiesel.
The emissions are stricter on the 1500 trucks than the HD trucks. In my opinion, FCA rushed to get the Ecodiesel out on the market. They knew the EGR was too aggressive, which is why they cheated on the EPA emissions. Since the new emissions software update, the problems have increased.

We'll see how well the Ford and GM diesel half ton trucks holdup. I'm also interested in seeing how the new gen. III Ecodiesel holds up. I personally wouldn't buy the Gladiator/Wrangler/Ram Ecodiesel without seeing at least 50,000 miles on them.

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The emissions are stricter on the 1500 trucks than the HD trucks. In my opinion, FCA rushed to get the Ecodiesel out on the market. They knew the EGR was too aggressive, which is why they cheated on the EPA emissions. Since the new emissions software update, the problems have increased.

We'll see how well the Ford and GM diesel half ton trucks holdup. I'm also interested in seeing how the new gen. III Ecodiesel holds up. I personally wouldn't buy the Gladiator/Wrangler/Ram Ecodiesel without seeing at least 50,000 miles on them.
+1. I agree, at least 50,000 miles. I bought this truck for fun and nothing else and for sure not to do FCA`s R&D.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
+1. I agree, at least 50,000 miles. I bought this truck for fun and nothing else and for sure not to do FCA`s R&D.
I would prefer 100,000 miles, but I don't know how long I want to wait. In the next 10 years, here's what I want to buy:
1. Ram 2500/3500 Cummins (work truck, heavy towing rig)
2. Ram 1500 Ecodiesel (daily driver, moderate to light towing rig)
3. Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Ecodiesel (wife's daily driver, light towing rig)
4. Jeep Gladiator Ecodiesel (my daily driver, utility truck, parts truck, light towing rig)

If the gen III Ecodiesel doesn't prove to be as reliable as the gasoline counterpart, then I will go with the gasoline engine.
Sponsored