Sponsored

Is the factory LED light upgrade worth it?

HeisenbergFX4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th anniversary edition Gladiator, 2021 QX80
Have you driven a newer Grand Cherokee?
You also have to be careful comparing "brightness" because bright isn't always better for the human eye. There's a big difference in how things are measured vs. how the eye and brain percieve things. That's why forums in general are "crap" for determining the best light unless true experts are involved. All you get is opinion based on specific circumstances that the eyes of that person.
Newer measuring methods had to be devised to measure LED vs. others and take into account "usable light".
Those asses with the huge blue/white mega lights that blind people around every corner aren't actually better off seeing - they THINK they are because, well "they are brighter". But tests prove they are wrong.
I have driven a 2020 GC with LED headlights and they are amazing even vs the LEDs in these gladiators.

The GC lights are fantastic lights.
Sponsored

sc98cbra

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Attorney

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
They are 100% worth $2,000.00! That may be an overstatement, but that's how I feel about mine. They aren't flat-faced like another commenter stated. They're spherically-shaped and here in St. Louis, I've had no trouble with snow packing. If they get snow on them, they're bright enough to power through and really not affect performance to the point that I have to stop and clear them. Also, a rule of thumb is that your payment increases $20 for every $1000 spent on a 60-month loan so it's really not that much of a hit and they're covered under the factory warranty. Good luck in whatever decision you make.
We haven't bought a vehicle under loan for 3 years.......... so for me it's a hit up front (if you do use a loan, it's not just the cost, it's cost plus interest over the course of the loan)

I have had ice and snow pack accumulate to the point I had to stop - but I figure it's not often enough to be a serious issue. But if a heating system were devised to retro-fit into factory LEDs, I'd do it. Iowa sees a lot of ice and snow that packs. It's not life-threatening for me.
Last winter we had a lot of snow and ICE - several ice storms with snow mixed. I did stop a couple of times to clear them but other trips I drove in storms and did not. The funnel shape let things pack in to where it was a good quarter inch or so thick.
I'm not going to freak out over it, just that if a solution comes along, I'd be interested.

LED also operates a lot differently over time than other lights - the curve of light loss is a lot different compared to other lighting so over time, they'll stay brighter than others, and near the end of their life they lose output a bit faster. There's an advantage of LED right there.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I have driven a 2020 GC with LED headlights and they are amazing even vs the LEDs in these gladiators.

The GC lights are fantastic lights.
The GC halogens are fine, too. Part of the JT thing is the shape of the light and the fact it's recessed. Other vehicles have larger frontal areas and better beam patterns. The GC halogen lights are almost as good as the JT LED and the GC LED are fantastic.
I'm looking at possibly trying to find quality LED headlamps for my WJ. Since I need to replace the lighting, might as well do it up.
I guess my point is - and you sort of helped show it - it's not the LED vs. halogen in the JT as far as the whole story. The JT is limited anyway.

Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I just put these on, per someone else's recommendation within this post:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GKCNPD1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They look great -- I cannot say that they are any brighter/blinding than the OEM LED's. Need to be sure to rotate the bulb to the 3/9 position. It took about 30 minutes to install.

I also purchased the JScan app and upgraded all my settings to LEDs. No flickering, etc.
Yes those are what a lot of folks have put in as a either temporary fix or permanent. I've only been flashed couple of times with them but that was when I was hauling a load in my truck and could have been because it angled my lights higher or maybe they just thought they were to bright. One of the people who flashed me was running some super bright LED lights themselves (LOL).

Trekkor2020

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I believe they are well worth it. I had a JK wrangler that had the halogens and I couldn’t see crap with those. I replaced them with JW Speaker lights (gen 1). Cost me $400. They were very good , but not as good as the OEM leds.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
The Oracle oculus is definitely a better light. Just a question of whether you prefer to have them factory installed or diy

Last edited:

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
I’m going to chime in here as I bought both headlights a few months apart. A Rubicon loaded up with LEDs in 2019 and a sport with standard headlights in 2020. The LEDs definitely enable better vision at night. no question. The standard headlights, however, are the way I will go in the future. I’ve had two failures of the LED tail lights with Lane sensing etc. both LEDs were replaced under warranty but two failures in less than a year?? The dealer said each time would have been near a grand (!!!). I don’t think I want to keep the LEDs out of warranty.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Oracle oculus is definitely a better light. Just a question of whether you prefer to have the, installed or diy
Those are the one's I was looking at as replacements

Sponsored

Deola

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKURHR
I have had jw speakers, iPads, and other aftermarket LEDs ...the LEDs that came on my jtr far surpass anything I bought aftermarket headlight or fog other than rigid cubes or bars. Also there is 0 flicker. Discounting the fact they are under warranty and the final cost on an order form is well below msrp, they are still brighter with a better spread, and no flicker If I did anything else it would be an upper windshield lightbar from rigid or ARBs giant ass LEDs on my bumper

Cyoung

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Lineman
Yup totally. I upgraded to Mopar Headlights and Led Turn Signals/DRLs on my Sport S!
Jeep Gladiator Is the factory LED light upgrade worth it? 23200E84-89DA-4C61-AC4F-EC11DEA43AF2
Did you have to add anything or have computer reset? Was it just plug and play? Looks great I want this for mine also.

Darkamek

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT-Sport S, 2021 JT-Sport S
I purchased the Oracle Oculus lights for my Jeep and bought the Quake 9” lights for my wife’s. The Oracle lights are amazing. Super bright, nice beam pattern and wide angle. The Quake lights aren’t as bright, beam pattern isn’t nearly as focused. The beam spread is very narrow as well and only adjustable with washers. The only thing I liked about the Quake lights is the integrated turn signal and how they looked when they were off. Needless to say we returned the Quake headlights.

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Automotive LED Manufacturer
I purchased the Oracle Oculus lights for my Jeep and bought the Quake 9” lights for my wife’s. The Oracle lights are amazing. Super bright, nice beam pattern and wide angle. The Quake lights aren’t as bright, beam pattern isn’t nearly as focused. The beam spread is very narrow as well and only adjustable with washers. The only thing I liked about the Quake lights is the integrated turn signal and how they looked when they were off. Needless to say we returned the Quake headlights.
That's a great review, Travis! Thanks for sharing your experience and glad you are enjoying the Oculus

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's a great review, Travis! Thanks for sharing your experience and glad you are enjoying the Oculus
I need to come check you all out next time I am in the city. Your not far from my Cousin's house. I'm originally from Donaldsonville
Sponsored