Sponsored

Is the jeep Gladiator the best off road truck?

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
In its class (mid size truck) the Gladiator is the best off road truck, especially the Mojave and Rubicon which are the "best of the best". :)

I have never researched the larger class' of off road trucks so couldn't opine how Gladiator stacks up vs other classes.
Sponsored

Florida Mojave

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2018 JKU, 2021 JT Mojave
They say the wrangler is the best off-road vehicle. Then does that mean the Jeep Gladiator is the best off-road truck? I am curious what people think as I am not a SME and would like to know.
It's the best one for me!!

dos0711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
My view of the gladiators and wranglers is they are the do all vehicle for my family. I can rely on it in any terrain or weather. Parts are readily available and easily changed. Door breaks? Buy a new door and bolt on etc. Jack of all, master of none (except smiles per gallon)
Accurate!

AXISJT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Wrangler, Gladiator ecodiesel sport
Occupation
Lab manager
"Off-road" is a pretty blanket statement since it can be so different. On rocks/ rutted out trails things like that yes it is the best "off-road" truck Desert running/fast washboard roads and such no it is not the best "off-road" so I guess it depends on the person's style of off-road.

Sponsored

jjs3845

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Overland
I wonder what the Tundra forum would think?
I'm on a Tundra forum because I have both.
Nah - they don't talk about Jeeps or much about off-roading. There are some guys who have purchased equipment to bolt onto their beds for off-roading but in general its more hauling and towing. If anything, the compare it to the F150.

Currently, the people who do not own the new 22 Tundra are bashing it. Toyota completely redesigned it for 22 and there's a few glitches as there always are in the first year of a new model. I think those who bash it over there are those who want one. Its fairly entertaining - almost as bad as starting a political fight.

I for one see the value of both. My Gladiator is a good day to day and general kocking around vehicle. If I need to get firewood or pellets for my pellet stove or a load of rocks, etc.... I take the Tundra.

As for what they told @Summitdan, IMHO the Gladiator is better off road than the Taco - not even close.

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
In its class (mid size truck) the Gladiator is the best off road truck, especially the Mojave and Rubicon which are the "best of the best". :)

I have never researched the larger class' of off road trucks so couldn't opine how Gladiator stacks up vs other classes.
The Silverado now comes with front and rear lockers as an option.

jjs3845

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Overland
Does it matter? If they are on the Tundra (or Taco, or Raptor…) forum they obviously have questionable judgement anyway. 😂
:LOL:
That might be true - I'm not sure I'm not "a couple sandwiches short of a picnic"!!
But seriously I see the value in both. Jeep knows how to off-road. They've been doing it for a long, long time and have it down to a science.

I just wish Jeep had a better hold on their dealers so there would be more reputable dealers than there are.

TheOpa

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 High Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber stuff
:LOL:
That might be true - I'm not sure I'm not "a couple sandwiches short of a picnic"!!
But seriously I see the value in both. Jeep knows how to off-road. They've been doing it for a long, long time and have it down to a science.

I just wish Jeep had a better hold on their dealers so there would be more reputable dealers than there are.
Agree - I see value in both. AXISJT is accurate, it depends a lot on what you do off-road and in what part of the world you are doing off-road. I do think we (Gladiator owners) have what is likely the best jack of all trades vehicle. It certainly suits what I want it to be with just a few thousand dollars of changes, of course.

Sponsored

chadinsc

First Name
chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 jku rubicon
Occupation
manufacturing
for its size i believe the gladiator is the best. i really wanted a raptor but its just to wide for the forested trails of the east coast. im waiting on my gladiator to be built now but have used a jkur on 35s for a decade and its been extremely rugged and will make me nervous before it runs out of capability

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
if you're talking general purpose off-roading and you're talking from the factory stock, it's hard to beat massive tires. Which makes the Raptor with the Raptor 37 Performance Package hard to beat. There's no way to deny that from-the-factory extra 2 inches of clearance to the axles that the Raptor has over the Rubi or Jave.

That being said... it's also an 82k truck (cant get the 37 package without the high package). You could get a base model rubicon or mojave for about 46k at a gupton or similar, spend 2.5k on 37s and about 1k on an AEV 2" spacer lift and have something more capable off-road than an 82k raptor for about 50k

KHam

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Just my personal opinion but I've owned a lot of vehicles, and a lot of Jeeps. Best for off-road is really ambiguous but honestly I would have to say it's a "Yes" from me for the most extreme terrain. The biggest reason is it is so easily modifiable but even stock I think it's top. It's nothing to put on a lift and much bigger tires and just go for it. The Rubicon with locking diffs, sway disconnects, rock crawl transfer case, etc. is like the king of extreme terrain. The Mojave is good for baja-style off road but it's not the king there. I've owned a Raptor and the Mojave is not the same thing. The Raptor has a lot more power and suspension than the Mojave does and there's simply no comparison. However the Raptor is a one trick pony and could not beat the same Mojave on extreme terrain. Have not driven the new TRX so I can't speak to that but I think it's mostly on-road performance, just like my SRT8 Jeep, which at the time was the only Jeep rated to 165 mph. Personally I couldn't get it above 152 as it was still an aerodynamic brick. Now the Track-Hawk is the new kid.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

I just researched it. It wins again. :)