Sponsored

Is this normal now? Dealership lead time.

Jimko71

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator High Altitude
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer
I have three Jeep dealerships close to me. The dealership I bought my truck at, it's sister dealership about 30 miles away, and a competitor Jeep dealership. Just out of curiosity I went thru the process of trying to schedule a service and all three dealerships are booked out 6-8 weeks. So I called and everyone one of them and they all basically said the same thing - they are slammed. Hopefully I don't have an serious warranty issues down the road lol. Just curious if you all out there are seeing the same thing. I came out out a Ford and never really had a challenge getting it in for service work or warranty stuff, never more then a week out.
Sponsored

Bobchadwickga

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Insurance
We had the same issues with an Acura we traded in and on a Corvette that we also traded in. I don't know what the issue is. I assumed the dealerships are having a difficult time getting mechanics but when I asked the Jeep dealership when I was in this weekend for an oil change, they said they were fully staffed.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I do not think it is an absolute across all dealerships for those lead times, but you are not the first to report such long waits.

I recently had a 2 week wait for a concern but most times, I am in within a week. It maybe a regional thing also.

When I bought my 2022 Rubicon, my salesperson actually had to do the delivery "make ready" because they could not find anybody to hire for porter work that was paying $20 an hr starting.

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Money Pit
Occupation
Foole
Most dealers of all brands around me are actively trying to find techs. Seems that many of the good ones used the last two years to find an indy shop or start their own rather than deal with dealership BS.

Couple that to still-strained supply chain issues and we've got a real problem on our hands for the next few years.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
We had the same issues with an Acura we traded in and on a Corvette that we also traded in. I don't know what the issue is. I assumed the dealerships are having a difficult time getting mechanics but when I asked the Jeep dealership when I was in this weekend for an oil change, they said they were fully staffed.
I'd really like to know what "fully staffed" means in context. Does it mean they have as many techs as they have bays? as many as they want to keep their core team busy and happy?

I went to best buy recently to buy a laptop and i had to wait over half an hour to buy the item i already knew i wanted when i walked in, and the guy who completed my transaction was from another department. I asked him if they had some call outs today and he said "one person per department, that's fully staffed"

I'd been an on and off customer of that same store for decades at this point. One person per department was never "fully staffed" before.

Sponsored

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Money Pit
Occupation
Foole
One person per department was never "fully staffed" before.
That smacks of C-suite level decisions not making sense in the real world. Labor is easier to cut back because the consumer doesn't expect much anymore. And frankly, it shouldn't be a huge surprise- you can point, click, and pickup with minimal interaction with a human nowadays and nobody bats an eye. We did it to ourselves and the last two years accelerated it.

Add to that increases in overhead for the retailers, including higher COGS, utilities, CAM fees/rent, and the specter of higher wages for unskilled workers and it all makes sense why your local Best Buy is short staffed.

All of that being said: My better half is a retail manager with a large outdoor lifestyle brand. Though her store is crushing numbers, corporate is cutting back on hours incessantly compelling them to run at bare bones to sock away money for the coming recession.

The retail sector is gearing up for contractions in consumer spending as a result of the recession we're in but nobody wants to talk about.

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
If no ordered parts are required, my dealership could get me an appointment in a day or two. I do have a closer than most relationship with them. They are my customers and I'm theirs.

jeepers29

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, GC
Occupation
Domestic engineer
I guess it depends on location. I just went to my dealers website and they had many appointments available this week. Crazy times we live in.

OP
OP
Jimko71

Jimko71

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator High Altitude
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer
Thanks for the replies. Hopefully things get better. I don't "need" anything done right now, but it was just a bit concerning about the availability of slots at the moment.

Sponsored

Snapper692

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Mine's generally about 3 to 4 days out. Just schedule an appt today and was able to get in this coming Monday.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
If I call sometime this week. I normally get an appointment next week.

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
If I call the dealer here in town, it's 1-2 weeks. If I go to Fayetteville, TN (40miles away) it's "get here when we open, and we'll get to it."

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I have three Jeep dealerships close to me. The dealership I bought my truck at, it's sister dealership about 30 miles away, and a competitor Jeep dealership. Just out of curiosity I went thru the process of trying to schedule a service and all three dealerships are booked out 6-8 weeks. So I called and everyone one of them and they all basically said the same thing - they are slammed. Hopefully I don't have an serious warranty issues down the road lol. Just curious if you all out there are seeing the same thing. I came out out a Ford and never really had a challenge getting it in for service work or warranty stuff, never more then a week out.
At my dealership I can walk in with a problem and have it looked it, and have an appointment set up for the work within a week.

Almost

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD & 09 JKU
My Local Jeep dealers here in NJ were all 3-4 weeks out this time last year. In the last 6 months, it has gotten better and my last two appointments were only 1-2 weeks out.
Sponsored