First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Self Employed
I plan to do mine one step at a time. 35’s will be first with no lift. Then I’ll lift it if I feel I need to. There are lifts that let you keep your shocks. AEV has one. Lots of threads here on the subject.
Same direction I chose
Sponsored

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
Somewhere on here showed Rubicon at max articulation on 35s and they were about 1/4" from rubbing.
Was this an empty vehicle glory shot? If you put a few hundred pounds of driver, passenger, camping gear, etc. in the vehicle do you still have 1/4” if the tires are “true” 35’s (not rounded up)?

If so, that’s great. Just saying that I followed similar advice years ago (you can “definitely” fit those tires with that lift) and it didn’t play out like that.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Was this an empty vehicle glory shot? If you put a few hundred pounds of driver, passenger, camping gear, etc. in the vehicle do you still have 1/4” if the tires are “true” 35’s (not rounded up)?

If so, that’s great. Just saying that I followed similar advice years ago (you can “definitely” fit those tires with that lift) and it didn’t play out like that.
35s just fit on Mojaves and Rubicons. Out back, It isn't even close, so weight load won't matter, unless maybe you have like 2000 lbs in the bed. In front, at full articulation, swaybar disconnected, they will fit. When the gladiator first came out, jeep openly spoke about and acknowledged that they'd fit, and that they are designed to fit. The wide axles and the high clearance fenders + the added suspension height give enough clearance for 35s, to really, truly, absolutely fit. They fit! I promise. I don't know what you mean by true 35s, but a 35x12.5x17 or a 315/70/17 will fit, and be fully off-roadable, on a Rubicon or Mojave. It's a non issue with the wider axles and high clearance fenders.

I have a spacer lift now, but these are all before that. Just about all of us in the pic are on 35s or 37s, and most of us didn't have lifts. The guy in back on the 37s does.

Jeep Gladiator Its time to get bigger tires Screenshot_20220304-220041_Photos
Jeep Gladiator Its time to get bigger tires IMG_20220326_145828

Jeep Gladiator Its time to get bigger tires IMG_20220326_094214

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
35s just fit on Mojaves and Rubicons. Out back, It isn't even close, so weight load won't matter, unless maybe you have like 2000 lbs in the bed. In front, at full articulation, swaybar disconnected, they will fit. When the gladiator first came out, jeep openly spoke about and acknowledged that they'd fit, and that they are designed to fit. The wide axles and the high clearance fenders + the added suspension height give enough clearance for 35s, to really, truly, absolutely fit. They fit! I promise. I don't know what you mean by true 35s, but a 35x12.5x17 or a 315/70/17 will fit, and be fully off-roadable, on a Rubicon or Mojave. It's a non issue with the wider axles and high clearance fenders.

I have a spacer lift now, but these are all before that. Just about all of us in the pic are on 35s or 37s, and most of us didn't have lifts. The guy in back on the 37s does.

This sums up what I’ve read regarding tire diameters over the years and it’s why I specifically asked about which tire.
https://fourwheeltrends.com/what-is-the-actual-size-of-a-35-inch-tire/

I figured there wouldn’t be an issue with the rear, but I wasn’t sure on the front assuming the sway bar is disconnected.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs

Sponsored

Maccam26

First Name
Marc-Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I’m just the opposite want to go back to 33 from 35’s
For what reasons , I tow a 4,200 lb boat trailer combo , pretty sure if I up the wheels the gears would struggle moving all of that is my thinking.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)

I don't remember. He ran it up on the wheel/tire of I think a lifted F-250. I believe that it was empty.

That's my opinion as well, that without a lift it will rub. That's why I plan on putting the Mopar 2" lift on, which is actually about 2.5" empty.

OP
OP

JeepJunky

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave (Gator)
The Mojave is fine stock with 35s, disconnected. I, have no experience with 37s, but I don’t think it would be rub free disconnected. Go with the AEV 2” lift. It will be great with 35s, or 37s.
I was ready to click the 'buy' button for the AEV. (Ordered some 35" tires) I then read this note on the order page:
*AEV recommends up to a 37×12.50R17 tire. Aftermarket wheels/wheel spacers are required and minor trimming may also be necessary depending on wheel specs.
Are you personally using the AEV 2" lift? If so, can you share if you had to use wheel spacers or perform minor trimming? I'm sticking with the Factory 17" Wheels, and I won't use wheel spacers as I have read they are not fit for safe use several times. Wheeling in the mountains I've flattened my steering stabilizer, dented my very heavy duty rock sliders etc. Other than the idea of wheel spacers, I like this kit for both economy, and minimal work needed.

Sponsored

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I was ready to click the 'buy' button for the AEV. (Ordered some 35" tires) I then read this note on the order page:
*AEV recommends up to a 37×12.50R17 tire. Aftermarket wheels/wheel spacers are required and minor trimming may also be necessary depending on wheel specs.
Are you personally using the AEV 2" lift? If so, can you share if you had to use wheel spacers or perform minor trimming? I'm sticking with the Factory 17" Wheels, and I won't use wheel spacers as I have read they are not fit for safe use several times. Wheeling in the mountains I've flattened my steering stabilizer, dented my very heavy duty rock sliders etc. Other than the idea of wheel spacers, I like this kit for both economy, and minimal work needed.
No, I’m running 35s, unlifted. Disconnected is fine for me, so I can’t imagine how a lift would make it so you then had to trim…

OP
OP

JeepJunky

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave (Gator)
No, I’m running 35s, unlifted. Disconnected is fine for me, so I can’t imagine how a lift would make it so you then had to trim…
I read the instructions and there is no mention of it.

Wolf Island Diver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
Software Engineer
Tires are like TVs. You’ll always wished you bought a size up. I have 37s and I’d like to get to at least 40s, but axles, ram steering, etc. Gladiators with 42s still drag their asses off road. You can wheel anything but 37s are the minimum that I’m personally comfortable with off road. I wouldn’t run 35s to 37s on stock wheels. With the AEV 2.5 lift that I have l you can easily run 37s with no rubbing. I have AEV wheels too which are really conservative but do move the wheel outboard over the stock rim and are wider. With inner fender liners and a fender chop you can supposedly run 40s.
AEV also has heavy duty springs that add another inch of lift. I’m about to pull the trigger on those for GVWR reasons. Q

I don’t know about the Pentastar but 3.73s turn 37s just fine on the diesel. I wouldn’t regear a stock D44 especially with large rings over 4.56. For the money I’d look at Dynatrac or other axles first before paying someone do a regear.

The issue almost no one talks about is that the stock electric power steering pump pressure is too low and without modifications turning 37s at a stop is a bear. A power steering booster is on my list although I really dread tearing the front of the truck off to install it.

Brucewillys

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep gladiator willys
Occupation
Merchandising
After two Jamborees, I see I really need something larger than my stock 33" Falken AT's.
I have a Mojave and would prefer to keep my shocks if possible.
I don't have an issue with the stock wheels.
Here is where my heads at:

35's or 37's.
Whatever an appropriate lift would be for those tires.
The determining factor between 35's and 37's is, Do i have to replace the shocks if I get 37''s but can keep the shocks if I buy 35's.
I have another Jamboree in June, so I don't have much time to get the work done.
I wonder:
Should I replace tires first, and upgrade lift later, or will tires rub, I I do that. (I disconnect sway bar)
Should I lift first, and do tires later?, does this make it unstable haling a lift with OE 33" tires?

Can I keep the original wheels with 35's or 37's ? If I need to change all these things, does some manufarurer. have a calculatr on their web site, o help me figure out what I need to purchase?

thanks for any advice.
We put 35 12.5 r17's on the stock Willys rims, fits and looks amazing!
Sponsored