First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Occupation
Military
I'm not sure if this is in the right location, but I had a question about Customer Service. I just want to know if I am being unreasonable.

Here is the scenario:
I purchased my Gladiator Rubicon in May2020. I really wanted a manual transmission so I accepted a truck with a soft top even though I wanted a hard top, with the intentions of ordering a hard top. I ordered the hardtop within the same week I bought my Jeep. My reasons for buying the hardtop was to avoid my Jeep getting broken into. In July, they received a hardtop that was damaged so I did not accept it (who wants to pay over 2k for a damaged piece?) Around August 12th, my Jeep was broken into, my rear window sliced open. They only got pocket change and sunglasses. I reached out to Jeep a couple of times and the dealership multiple times because of my concern about not having the hardtop prior to it getting broken into expressing my concerns for it.
Due to the fact that my Jeep no longer had security, and duct tape would not hold, I reached out to the dealership to see if I could just take the damaged top because I needed something, especially with the Virginia weather raining every single day. They agreed to give it to me and they ordered me a rear window for the soft top at no cost (to offset the damage).

I put in a complaint with Jeep about the fact that I have had to compromise on so many things with a 50k vehicle and that for the first time in over a decade, I'm not happy with Jeeps service. My solution was, to keep the rear window for a soft-top that I am no longer using, and trade me the good hardtop that I actually ordered and was forced to wait for over 3 months for. Whatever course of action they were gonna take with the damaged top, they would continue to take, product deficiency report, demolish it, repair it, whatever.... The original action they would have taken. I was told that I am asking for unreasonable things by Jeep.

On one hand I was appreciative of the parts team at my dealership for doing what they needed to to get my Jeep secure, on the other hand I was disappointed with Jeep that I was forced to make that decision and take the offer. Is my request unreasonable after giving them over 50k for a vehicle that has rusted parts, loose steering, seams popping out the seats in 3 months, scratches in the paint from the dealership (they said they couldnt help me so I paid to have it fixed), and this hardtop issue???

Jeep said they would send some emails, but only because I was adamant about it. Because I was basically told I was being unreasonable and shouldn't have accepted the deal. Just looking for some feedback... Thanks

PS- I know some of the complaints are "Jeep Things" but I spent a lot of money. I'm willing to accept JEEP THINGS after owning the vehicle a couple years....
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The dealer has no control over the supply chain. They did what they could to help you. Neither Jeep or the dealer is responsible for the security of your vehicle. You made the decision to accept a vehicle that wasn't equipped the way you wanted it. Once you signed the papers, it became your problem.

OP
OP
CarajoCoƱo

CarajoCoƱo

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Occupation
Military
The dealer has no control over the supply chain. They did what they could to help you. Neither Jeep or the dealer is responsible for the security of your vehicle. You made the decision to accept a vehicle that wasn't equipped the way you wanted it. Once you signed the papers, it became your problem.
I understand that. I guess my gripe is with the fact that when they sold me the jeep, they said I could order a hard top and have it within a few weeks which turned into a few months. They also were going to do whatever they were going to do with the damaged top had I just waited another month for the one I was waiting for. If I would have just stayed without a rear window, for a month I would get the same top I was supposed to and they would still have to do what they do with theirs. ā€ā™‚. Thanks for the feedback. Lesson learned for next time.. they don't want you happy, they want your money.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I understand that. I guess my gripe is with the fact that when they sold me the jeep, they said I could order a hard top and have it within a few weeks which turned into a few months. They also were going to do whatever they were going to do with the damaged top had I just waited another month for the one I was waiting for. If I would have just stayed without a rear window, for a month I would get the same top I was supposed to and they would still have to do what they do with theirs. ā€ā™‚. Thanks for the feedback. Lesson learned for next time.. they don't want you happy, they want your money.
Jeep produces and markets the vehicle. The dealer sells and services it. They want you happy enough to get you to sign the papers. Jeep doesn't get involved, in any way, unless they absolutely have to. Many dealers will promise anything to make the sale, which you need to get in writing to be able to enforce, but timing for obtaining parts from Jeep is not really something you can hold them to. They are at the mercy of the suppliers, and have to stand in line for hard-to-get parts with all the other dealers. I understand your frustration, and I would also be upset. As someone looking in from the outside, I don't really see anymore that could be done.

OP
OP
CarajoCoƱo

CarajoCoƱo

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Occupation
Military
Jeep produces and markets the vehicle. The dealer sells and services it. They want you happy enough to get you to sign the papers. Jeep doesn't get involved, in any way, unless they absolutely have to. Many dealers will promise anything to make the sale, which you need to get in writing to be able to enforce, but timing for obtaining parts from Jeep is not really something you can hold them to. They are at the mercy of the suppliers, and have to stand in line for hard-to-get parts with all the other dealers. I understand your frustration, and I would also be upset. As someone looking in from the outside, I don't really see anymore that could be done.
I appreciate your perspective. Thank you.

Sponsored

BrentMG

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Service Member
You also purchased it when most of everything was closed due to corona. Before it may have taken a couple weeks to get. Didnā€™t they just open the factory again a couple months ago?

OP
OP
CarajoCoƱo

CarajoCoƱo

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Occupation
Military
I don't understand why they can't exchange the "already damaged" part for the good one at full cost. Whether it's the dealership itself or the Jeep Parts section at corporate, whoever is manufacturing the part. I initially turned down the damaged one in the beginning of July and by August the new one still was not available, and had no timeline to get here. I understand they are a business and at the end of the day I'm stuck with what I have. I accept it, I just don't think (for the money we spend on products and vehicles) that in this instance, they did what they could. They wouldn't have been at a loss to satisfy this request because they were already going to accept the damaged top when I initially turned it down. I should have just thrown a tarp on my Jeep to keep the rain out and waited ā€ā™‚... indefinitely... I understand how their system works for next time, if there is a next time.. I probably just won't order from them again. I should have went through an aftermarket company that I have history with and I know had the customer service I'm looking for. But you're right.. I am pissed so my judgement is definitely swayed, which is why I started the thread. I want outside perspectives!! Lol

OP
OP
CarajoCoƱo

CarajoCoƱo

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Occupation
Military
You also purchased it when most of everything was closed due to corona. Before it may have taken a couple weeks to get. Didnā€™t they just open the factory again a couple months ago?
Yes. The factory was open again, they told me the expected arrival date of the first one which was 3 weeks.. took over 2 months. When I asked estimated arrival after the jeep was broken into, they said there aren't any tops available so they weren't sure how long it would take..

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
How much was the new rear window? Iā€™m assuming less than your insurance deductible. Is there a reason you didnā€™t order a new rear window and just wait for the undamaged top?

Itā€™s crappy that your truck got broken into, especially since you seemed to predict it would happen.

I would think exchanging the hardtop would be at the discretion of the dealer. Before a customer (You)used it I would assume they could have either returned to FCA or been reimbursed for it and kept it. Perhaps they already did before they gave it to you. But I think youā€™re more at the mercy of the dealer more than FCA.

In what way was the hardtop damaged? Scratched? Maybe you could work our a deal to get it repaired with the dealer?

OP
OP
CarajoCoƱo

CarajoCoƱo

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Occupation
Military
How much was the new rear window? Iā€™m assuming less than your insurance deductible. Is there a reason you didnā€™t order a new rear window and just wait for the undamaged top?

Itā€™s crappy that your truck got broken into, especially since you seemed to predict it would happen.

I would think exchanging the hardtop would be at the discretion of the dealer. Before a customer (You)used it I would assume they could have either returned to FCA or been reimbursed for it and kept it. Perhaps they already did before they gave it to you. But I think youā€™re more at the mercy of the dealer more than FCA.

In what way was the hardtop damaged? Scratched? Maybe you could work our a deal to get it repaired with the dealer?
The rear top was under 250 which is my deductible, so I could have ordered one. My concern was, I was going to have to go back and park in the place where it was cut open originally. Where it got cut was by my father in laws house, and I was helping take care of him while he was dying. I could have ordered a soft top piece and overnighted it to his house but I am certain, it would have been cut open again within the next 2 weeks of me being there. I guess in the grand scheme, it's my fault because I didn't want to shell out 250 bucks just to have it get cut again. The security of the jeep was the issue for me, and the fact that the date for a new one was indefinite. "There wasn't one even available". Jeep told me I should have reached out to them sooner, but I did and they told me I had to work through the dealership and not them. So.. two different stories as it pertains to what I should have done...

In terms of the damage, it is mostly repairable, the fiberglass is gouged out where the straps for shipping go and there are some light scratches into the rear window but I'm not sure if it is in the tint or the glass, I'm assuming glass. Maybe I can have that buffed out...

Sponsored

Cdemarac

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
The rear top was under 250 which is my deductible, so I could have ordered one. My concern was, I was going to have to go back and park in the place where it was cut open originally. Where it got cut was by my father in laws house, and I was helping take care of him while he was dying. I could have ordered a soft top piece and overnighted it to his house but I am certain, it would have been cut open again within the next 2 weeks of me being there. I guess in the grand scheme, it's my fault because I didn't want to shell out 250 bucks just to have it get cut again. The security of the jeep was the issue for me, and the fact that the date for a new one was indefinite. "There wasn't one even available". Jeep told me I should have reached out to them sooner, but I did and they told me I had to work through the dealership and not them. So.. two different stories as it pertains to what I should have done...

In terms of the damage, it is mostly repairable, the fiberglass is gouged out where the straps for shipping go and there are some light scratches into the rear window but I'm not sure if it is in the tint or the glass, I'm assuming glass. Maybe I can have that buffed out...
Not to be this guy but what makes you think that your jeep only got broken into because you have a soft top... Coming from someone whoā€™s had to replace a side window because of some crackhead breaking in.

If you think its just going to get broken into again Iā€™m assuming itā€™s a shitty area your in. I doubt a hardtop will be the end all of your car getting broken into

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Sounds like an all around shitty scenario. I will say, from a customer satisfaction perspective, it would be nice to FCA or the dealer go the extra mile here, even if they don't need to and swap out the top that was documented as being damaged in shipping for an undamaged one, or cover the cost of repairing the damaged one.

In customer service it's not always just about keeping you specifically as a customer, but also representing the brand as a whole. I know there are companies and brands I will buy from again and again just because their customer service is impeccable. Must they do something? Probably not. Could they do something? Absolutely.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Don't keep anything in your jeep that you don't want stollen if you live in a bad area. Don't lock your doors.

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
If you think its just going to get broken into again Iā€™m assuming itā€™s a shitty area your in. I doubt a hardtop will be the end all of your car getting broken into
I agree with this, but if i'm going to break into someone's vehicle and there is one I have to break a window and make the associated noise, or one next to it that I can just silently cut the plastic window and get in, I'm going to choose the latter every time. Nothing is 100% secure, its merely about deterring people and/or making it more difficult for them.

I know, in the past i have certainly just left my doors unlocked on my old YJ's with soft-tops but I imagine there is some legal "0 fucks given" by the Police and your Insurance if your car is broken into and it wasn't locked.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
I know, in the past i have certainly just left my doors unlocked on my old YJ's with soft-tops but I imagine there is some legal "0 fucks given" by the Police and your Insurance if your car is broken into and it wasn't locked.
The police are just going to file a report no mater if your doors are locked or not. Do you think they are going to put a detective on a car break in because the owner locked the doors and you get no detectives on the case if you tell them they where unlocked? You get no detective or any other help for that matter. They just file the paperwork and move on to the next.

If you have a locked door clause in your insurance you may want to look around for a different insurance company.
Sponsored