First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81’ Cherokee,20' GMC AT4, ‘18 4Runner, cross-trek
Occupation
professional big dumb animal.........
Wow this mess up is getting carried by every major news outlet and automotive enthusiast site lol wow
that guy screwed up. 40k plus in damage

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
On the plus side, the transfer case, rear end, and transmission were able to throw all that torque back at the engine. Pretty amazing drivetrain when you think about it. And, if he managed to get up to 60, if it took 52,000 rpm as @AmishMike calculated to grenade the engine, and knowing Formula 1 V-10s of old could ONLY do 19,000, I think I have to applaud Jeep for making this show possible. This guy was obviously oblivious to everything, but I REALLY want to know at what speed this poor fella finally detonated, I'd have to assume it didn't wait until 60 to let go. Might be something to advertise, 'cause I'm sorta impressed.
Love the steam engine. I helped my ex-wife's grandfather run an Advance Rumbley (sp?) at tractor shows around central Indiana. We hooked up to a rock crusher one time, about wore me out keeping up on the coal and water.

Sponsored

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
"Unfortunately insurance covers stupidity." Of course! The smart ones have enough money to underwrite their lifestyle.

Munkey Boy

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-3, '79 CJ5, '21 JT Sport S manual.
Occupation
Camp Maintenance
Love the steam engine. I helped my ex-wife's grandfather run an Advance Rumbley (sp?) at tractor shows around central Indiana. We hooked up to a rock crusher one time, about wore me out keeping up on the coal and water.
Rumelys are some of the most beautiful tractors I've ever seen. I always wanted an Oil Pull just didn't want to sweat more than the engine. :LOL:

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
Rumelys are some of the most beautiful tractors I've ever seen. I always wanted an Oil Pull just didn't want to sweat more than the engine. :LOL:
I always wanted a twin cylinder Keck-Gonnerman, made in Evansville, IN. The twins are easier to start and stop, always have a cylinder in a steam cycle.

Sponsored

Munkey Boy

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Camp Maintenance
I always wanted a twin cylinder Keck-Gonnerman, made in Evansville, IN. The twins are easier to start and stop, always have a cylinder in a steam cycle.
Hooray Kay-Gee! Yeah, they even sounded better.

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
It would be fun as hell to disassemble the engine left overs. The 3.6 is said to have some tough main caps because it was originally designed for possible turbocharger. I'm guessing the cast crank failed first from the extreme torque. Would be fun to explore the remaining components, valve train, water pump, alternator, just to see how they managed.

Munkey Boy

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Camp Maintenance
It would be fun as hell to disassemble the engine left overs. The 3.6 is said to have some tough main caps because it was originally designed for possible turbocharger. I'm guessing the cast crank failed first from the extreme torque. Would be fun to explore the remaining components, valve train, water pump, alternator, just to see how they managed.
Agreed. Along with the entire drivetrain. I think there are some engineers at FCA champing at the bit to get a hold of this thing for complete dissection.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
This is why if I were to tow a vehicle behind a camper, I'd use a trailer. Trailer tires are cheaper, trailer doesn't add that much (relative) weight, and it prevents mishaps like this. Plus if anything leaks or falls off, you know when you stop, instead of say trying to start an engine after a poorly attached oil pan drain plug fell out from all the road vibrations of not being on a trailer and resulting in losing almost all the oil leaking out behind, never seeing it in the mirrors because you're driving a big rig