Jeep Gladiator is Struggling

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Exactly- I have always found myself getting tired and bored of the 1/2 tons Ive owned. In a sense with all the new car like features in 1/2 tons and massive cabs the trade off for me is they now feel like a minivan with a bed. The JT brings back an almost old school-cool truck feeling, while still offering modern electronics etc... Now that I have the JT and drive it back to back with the F150 it makes the F150 feel massive, sluggish and incredibly cheap, particularly the interior- the F150 is a big cheap plastic box.
Having the full size Ram was beneficial over the last 12 years due to family, etc. Reason why I never bought a jeep previous. Always looking at them but not practical for me. Now that its getting closer to just me or me and the wife in the truck no need for a big full size. Frankly I am looking forward to moving into a midsize truck along with being able to pop the tops, etc on some long drives to kayak launches along the Gulf Coast.
Sponsored

aj8544

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR,2018 Wrangler JLU 2.0, 2018 F150
Having the full size Ram was beneficial over the last 12 years due to family, etc. Reason why I never bought a jeep previous. Always looking at them but not practical for me. Now that its getting closer to just me or me and the wife in the truck no need for a big full size. Frankly I am looking forward to moving into a midsize truck along with being able to pop the tops, etc on some long drives to kayak launches along the Gulf Coast.
I hear you on the family part- my wife and I have a 5 yo and 3yo. We used to have a 3 row durango and a ram 2500 crew cab. Started towing less and I went to the F150 super crew. Then my wife went to the JL, and I now have the JT. We used to think we needed a ton of space- then realized we never once even flipped the 3rd row of the durango up to use it, and that I was riding around with an empty truck 90% of the time. Have taken the JL on 12 hour road trips to the beach- loaded with bikes, air mattresses you name it. We just learned to pack smarter, take less unneeded crap, and utilize bike racks/ carriers more. Im sure there may be a time here and there where I wouldn't mind the added cab space of the full size with the kids and their friends, but realistically the JT is still a 5 passenger vehicle, just like the ram 2500 and the F150. I know for sure though all the times with no doors and roof will far outweigh the few times where a bigger cab/ bed would be handy and I couldn't help but smile this morning going through a tight drive through and for once not worrying about taking off a mirror or mangling a fender. That being said-more than 2 kids or 4 ppl total to haul routinely would be a different story...

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I hear you on the family part- my wife and I have a 5 yo and 3yo. We used to have a 3 row durango and a ram 2500 crew cab. Started towing less and I went to the F150 super crew. Then my wife went to the JL, and I now have the JT. We used to think we needed a ton of space- then realized we never once even flipped the 3rd row of the durango up to use it, and that I was riding around with an empty truck 90% of the time. Have taken the JL on 12 hour road trips to the beach- loaded with bikes, air mattresses you name it. We just learned to pack smarter, take less unneeded crap, and utilize bike racks/ carriers more. Im sure there may be a time here and there where I wouldn't mind the added cab space of the full size with the kids and their friends, but realistically the JT is still a 5 passenger vehicle, just like the ram 2500 and the F150. I know for sure though all the times with no doors and roof will far outweigh the few times where a bigger cab/ bed would be handy and I couldn't help but smile this morning going through a tight drive through and for once not worrying about taking off a mirror or mangling a fender. That being said-more than 2 kids or 4 ppl total to haul routinely would be a different story...
Yep I was toting around the kid and to blue healers so the inside was pretty full. All the stuff in the back. Now down to just small dog and my daughter who is much older now doesn't require as much stuff and she will be off to college in a couple of years and hopefully into her own car next year. I know the feeling of trying not to take off a mirror (LOL) had to fold mine in the other day just to get to the drive through at the bank the lanes so small.

Pocono-Jeep

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Dodge Durango
Tacoma TRD Pro spec'ed on Toyota's website with automatic transmission and no extra options is $47,760. Gladiator Rubicon spec'ed on Jeep's website with cold weather group, automatic transmission, leather, and tow package (to match stock options that come with the Taco) is $51,905. Both prices include delivery/destination charges.

So the difference between the two is really on the order of $4100. For that increased retail price you get a much more usable backseat, a front locker and sway bar disco, solid axles, and of course a convertible. I don't understand the claim that JT's come at such a premium cost. Yes most dealers have them optioned higher, but you can get a very cost competitive JTR with a little effort.

In the words of Mark Twain, "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
The Ram diesel is great for towing 8000+ but it is "fat" and unwieldy in town and on trails. I liked the JKU for hunting, but it couldn't tow enough if I needed to bring a small (I don't have a tiny) trailer. The Gladiator can tow, has a bed to bring "stuff" and is still a Jeep for the trails.

Sponsored

salvino

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GC Trailhawk/ 2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Finance Guy
Vehicle Showcase
Tacoma TRD Pro spec'ed on Toyota's website with automatic transmission and no extra options is $47,760. Gladiator Rubicon spec'ed on Jeep's website with cold weather group, automatic transmission, leather, and tow package (to match stock options that come with the Taco) is $51,905. Both prices include delivery/destination charges.

So the difference between the two is really on the order of $4100. For that increased retail price you get a much more usable backseat, a front locker and sway bar disco, solid axles, and of course a convertible. I don't understand the claim that JT's come at such a premium cost. Yes most dealers have them optioned higher, but you can get a very cost competitive JTR with a little effort.

I attribute much of that line of thinking to internet trolls who would complain about the taxes if you gave them one. They are the same group who think the Pentastar with the 8sp is gutless. No pleasing some people.

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL rubicon.
So to make a long story short haha I needed a pickup ordered my gladiator rubicon unfortunately it was on that train that wrecked with all the gladiators on it last summer.
Dealer was a total dick about hooking me up with a deal on the ones they currently had on the lot even after I had found a dealer in Maryland offering insane discounts they wouldn’t even price match.

Unfortunately I live in comifornia so I have only a few states I can buy from such as az, fla. anyone know of any dealers in Az that’s offering good discounts on their gladiators.

In the meantime I have the worse case of buyers remorse And am now stuck with a tacoma trd pro that I trader my JLUR in for last August. Worse decision ever made in my life so it’s time to rectify my bad decision It’s a nice truck but honestly toyotas are definitely not all that and just suck compared to jeeps lol

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Lots of Gladiators in Vegas. I got a decent deal here on mine.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon

Unfortunately I live in comifornia so I have only a few states I can buy from such as az, fla. anyone know of any dealers in Az that’s offering good discounts on their gladiators.

All Gladiators are 50 state emissions legal. Should not matter where you buy it.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
All Gladiators are 50 state emissions legal. Should not matter where you buy it.
That’s what I was thinking. Most of the new vehicles are like that I think..

Sponsored

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR

And you're going to pay sticker for the Taco TRD Pro. Toyota dealers have always been a proud bunch. I was helping someone shop for a compact SUV recently and Toyota dealers were by far the worst to deal with. Very little off on RAV-4s. So she bought a CR-V for about $3k off sticker (and, honestly, I think the Honda is a better-engineered vehicle).

But back on topic, you ain't getting anything off a TRD Pro, but there's plenty of wiggle room on a Gladiator. I'd bet the out-the-door prices would be basically the same, if not better for the Jeep. And that Toyota platform is so old. Good luck fitting it it if you're taller than 5'6". I'd rather have a ZR2 than the Taco.

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I might be jumping the gun replying before reading the rest of the thread, but the Rubicon is $7,130 more than the Sport S. You can't compare it to the base Sport as you can't option them the same.

Base Sport S = $36,745
Base Rubicon, which "includes all features on Sport S plus" the features discussed already.

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 3.23.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 3.24.25 PM.png
It certainly varies based on options. I bought a Sport S max tow with 7" radio, auto trans, hard top, spray in bed liner, and convenience package. A Rubicon with only those same options is $5k more which wasn't worth it to me.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
It certainly varies based on options. I bought a Sport S max tow with 7" radio, auto trans, hard top, spray in bed liner, and convenience package. A Rubicon with only those same options is $5k more which wasn't worth it to me.
Thats perfectly fine if it wasn’t worth it to you. My point was one poster said is was a $3,000 option; another said $10,000. I just wanted to show that actual difference in price between the two when optioned the same way (base vs. bace). You can’t compare the price difference between a base Sport and base Rubicon and say it is just the lockers, e-disco, high-line fenders, etc. You have to start with a Sport S. Only then can a buyer decide if the price difference is worth it.

I did go the the build & price tool and tried adding your options to both, and I got $41,520 for the Sport S with Max Tow and $49,060 for the Rubicon = $7,520 difference. Was you $5k difference after negotiating with the dealer, or has MSRP pricing changed that much since you bought?

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Thats perfectly fine if it wasn’t worth it to you. My point was one poster said is was a $3,000 option; another said $10,000. I just wanted to show that actual difference in price between the two when optioned the same way (base vs. bace). You can’t compare the price difference between a base Sport and base Rubicon and say it is just the lockers, e-disco, high-line fenders, etc. You have to start with a Sport S. Only then can a buyer decide if the price difference is worth it.

I did go the the build & price tool and tried adding your options to both, and I got $41,520 for the Sport S with Max Tow and $49,060 for the Rubicon = $7,520 difference. Was you $5k difference after negotiating with the dealer, or has MSRP pricing changed that much since you bought?
Right. That was sort of my point too. The "base" Rubicon has a few things as standard that are options on a sport S and many more than what is standard on a regular sport.

You're seeing a larger price difference because the builder is showing Net price, not MSRP. I think there's some cash back program right now. Sticker on mine was around $44,500

remlemasi

First Name
Elmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
So to make a long story short haha I needed a pickup ordered my gladiator rubicon unfortunately it was on that train that wrecked with all the gladiators on it last summer.
Dealer was a total dick about hooking me up with a deal on the ones they currently had on the lot even after I had found a dealer in Maryland offering insane discounts they wouldn’t even price match.

In the meantime I have the worse case of buyers remorse And am now stuck with a tacoma trd pro that I trader my JLUR in for last August. Worse decision ever made in my life so it’s time to rectify my bad decision It’s a nice truck but honestly toyotas are definitely not all that and just suck compared to jeeps lol
Give Courtesy CDJR in Orange County a call and ask for Rob Trachtman, the fleet manager. He gives automatic 5% below invoice if you have a Tread Lightly membership ($100).
Sponsored