Sponsored

Jeep Gladiator is Struggling

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
No idea, but I know what it would do to the value of mine :)
I am thinking that execs wouldnt feature the JT like that, with Murray’s only commercial, without Board approval for long-term sales despite some minor dips/drags in sales. Heavy investment in R&D and marketing.

What’s the shortest lived Jeep model in the last 20 years?

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Heavy investment in R&D and marketing.
Hell, that's been just about their only expenditure, lol. And extremely well chosen too, IMO. And really, from what I've read it was a bit of a long shot in the first place; not a hard planned spot. Last minute timing; had to finagle with the network to get a spot for it (if you believe what you read, that is!).

Hurley82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon , BMW F800GS
I am thinking that execs wouldnt feature the JT like that, with Murray’s only commercial, without Board approval for long-term sales despite some minor dips/drags in sales. Heavy investment in R&D and marketing.

What’s the shortest lived Jeep model in the last 20 years?
The Jeep Commander had a fairly short run 4 years or something like that. Followed by the Patriot at around 9 and the Liberty at 11 or so years.

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport - Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
I see the Jeep Gladiator as a toy, an accessory, a statement if you will.

If you wanted form and function, you'd get a two door Tacoma and a 6" bed. Want to haul, F150 or Ram.

No one buys a Rolex because they NEED a watch. They buy one because they want a cool watch.

The Jeep Gladiator is cool. Got to pay to play if you want all the cool things in life.

Might sound like a dick here, but I like the fact I don't see many on the road because of the price point.
I do think the Rubicon is overpriced, but the Sport is about right on pricing, could be about $5,000 cheaper though.
I'm also starting to see more Gladiators around town, but still not a lot. I want more power though :)

Sponsored

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I don't much care for Jalopnik. So many of their articles have a sour grapes tone. I don't get it. Most of their articles seem to be written by folks that have little to no car/truck knowledge. I guess as long as they're getting clicks, it doesn't matter.
Most of Jalopnik writers and contributors are virtual office freelance workers. Every article has to have an edgy tone and negativity even if contrived, is about the clicks and generating web traffic.

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Except if you browse through the order tracking on this forum (https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...sticker-and-build-sheet-order-tracking.15238/) it's apparent they're selling 3 Rubicons for every 1 of all the other trims combined. No wonder none of the incentives they offer apply to the Rubicon.
One of my good friends was the Director of Operations (just below the owner) at one of the local Jeep dealerships. He said that they sold 2-3 times as many Rubicon models as the other trim levels. Granted, this was/is in Colorado.

Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Some of you people are daft, claiming the Rubicon is "over priced".

Rubicon is a $3000 option package that gets you suspension, skid plates, front and rear lockers, dis-connectable sway bar, deep transfer case, wider heavier differentials with 4:10's, hood, fenders, sliders, additional recovery points and probably more that I am missing.

You cannot buy that for $3000, if you were to completely disregard resale value.

Overpriced? LOL, horse shit.

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Some of you people are daft, claiming the Rubicon is "over priced".

Rubicon is a $3000 option package that gets you suspension, skid plates, front and rear lockers, dis-connectable sway bar, deep transfer case, wider heavier differentials with 4:10's, hood, fenders, sliders, additional recovery points and probably more that I am missing.

You cannot buy that for $3000, if you were to completely disregard resale value.

Overpriced? LOL, horse shit.
I maybe biased but I agree. By all accounts, they are not having problems selling Rubicons. Would be interesting to know what Jeep's metrics are per trim level in terms of sales expectations, etc. If they are meeting it on one trim level and not the others then price may not be the issue.

In the end only FCA knows if its "struggling" or not. Recent incentives shows they are trying to move some stagnant inventory thou. Personally form my brief experience shopping....I think FCA simply built too many that were not equipped like they should have been for intended buyer...even new buyers that at least knew something about trucks.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
The dipstick that wrote this article only picked the Gladiator as it has been in the news and he wanted to capitalize on name recognition. Of the Jeep that is, he personally has none. The article in itself is hypocritical as the only reason people read it is the popularity of the Gladiator. I don’t know why anyone would not love this truck even if they chose not to purchase because they thought it didn’t meet their needs or was overpriced or never buy the first year or whatever. People on this forum have been very balanced and authentic in assessing all the pros, while sharing the issues like potential steering, hvac, and seating issues. The key being balance.

The author exposes himself when he says he doesn’t understand his coworkers infatuation with the truck. This is the only thing he got right. He doesn’t understand.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
I maybe biased but I agree. By all accounts, they are not having problems selling Rubicons. Would be interesting to know what Jeep's metrics are per trim level in terms of sales expectations, etc. If they are meeting it on one trim level and not the others then price may not be the issue.

In the end only FCA knows if its "struggling" or not. Recent incentives shows they are trying to move some stagnant inventory thou. Personally form my brief experience shopping....I think FCA simply built too many that were not equipped like they should have been for intended buyer...even new buyers that at least knew something about trucks.
Yes, it sure seems like FCA didn't anticipate the Rubicon being so much more popular than the other trims. The ongoing, incoming inventory to dealer lots still seems backwards; 3 Sport/S/Overlands for every Rubicon. I don't know how it all works -- i.e. how much the dealers have influence on all that.
Sponsored