First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Military
So is there just one dude driving around with a new Patriot in the Q3?
I'd rather be one of the two Viper guys...
Sponsored

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator

J-GriffsGlad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Geologist
...The Bronco on the other hand will be the soup du jour for a bit when that comes out, that certainly will hurt wrangler sales in some way.
I highly doubt that. Just my 2 cents and i can't want to see how it unfolds but... Let me give you a few examples. My grandfather (80) and my CFO at work (40) both acted like they may get a Jeep the last few years. Actually the last 6 years. They didn't. Neither has ever owned any Jeep products. They both drive Ford trucks. Now the bronco is out and both of their wives are getting one. It took 0 sales from Jeep. They're posers. Plain and simple. My first car was an 88 Wrangler YJ. The number one question I was asked by (countless) friends when the bronco debuted was "what do you think?!" Then followed by "gonna get one? / would you consider buying one?!" The answer? It isn't no. It's fuck no. They're cool cars but different worlds here. One of these automobiles secured world prosperity and freedom circa ww2. The other created the assembly line. Different worlds here.

Also yes I am aware Henry Ford built tens of thousands of vehicles AND aircraft for ww2. Ford is a great company nothing against them but...

Jeep. There's only one.

JCHGlad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Real Estate sales/Development
I highly doubt that. Just my 2 cents and i can't want to see how it unfolds but... Let me give you a few examples. My grandfather (80) and my CFO at work (40) both acted like they may get a Jeep the last few years. Actually the last 6 years. They didn't. Neither has ever owned any Jeep products. They both drive Ford trucks. Now the bronco is out and both of their wives are getting one. It took 0 sales from Jeep. They're posers. Plain and simple. My first car was an 88 Wrangler YJ. The number one question I was asked by (countless) friends when the bronco debuted was "what do you think?!" Then followed by "gonna get one? / would you consider buying one?!" The answer? It isn't no. It's fuck no. They're cool cars but different worlds here. One of these automobiles secured world prosperity and freedom circa ww2. The other created the assembly line. Different worlds here.

Also yes I am aware Henry Ford built tens of thousands of vehicles AND aircraft for ww2. Ford is a great company nothing against them but...

Jeep. There's only one.
Dude, it’s going to hurt wrangler sales....but as I said, it’ll be the soup of the day, ultimately what that means is people will revert to their favorite.....that said, the bronco is great for us Jeep people it forces them( Jeep)to offer more and improve the product...we are the benefactors.

iGlad

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Website
socaljeepgladiatorowners.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT
Of all the cars and trucks I have owned in my life, this truck has been far and away the most popular with Everyday people. I can honestly say I get at least four to five compliments a week on it.
Just yesterday a couple of girls in a new Lexus stopped in the middle of the street and was staring at the truck as I was walking up to it, they asked if it was my truck and I said yes, driver replied “I absolutely love your Jeep, it’s the coolest truck I’ve seen” I said Thanks.
In another lifetime I would have asked for her number.

One of those "Still got it" moments! haha

Sponsored

GladiSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mojave, 08 S2000 CR, 08 S2000, 22 392 XR Order
Build Thread
Link

Wicknalter

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I think that's pretty impressive considering practically zero legacy truck buyers. However, I wonder how these Gladiator sales have impacted Wrangler and other Jeep model sales.
Very little effect on Wrangler sales. I sellFCA products for a living. I see a lot of people that were not in the Jeep market until this. Just like I never was but I fell in love with the gladiator after driving it for a few days.

I’ve only had a single Wrangler traded in towards a Gladiator. People who want Wranglers that’s all they want. It found a small niche and it’s rocking it. We sell 1 gladiator to every 5.5 Wranglers.

Reactions: BCC

EstoJTR

First Name
Erx
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR, 2014 Cayman S, 2020 RDX Advance
Nice! Glad to see it doing well. Few of things to consider in favor for the Ranger in terms of sales.
  1. Better deals to be had
  2. Ford pushed out that low rate incentive during covid with long payment terms
  3. Rangers are more likely to end up in fleets

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Dude, it’s going to hurt wrangler sales...
I have my doubt about it making much of an impact at all - but if it does, to that I say "so bloody what?" It's STILL a Jeep, STILL uses a ton of Wrangler parts (all of the shared cabin parts, doors, dash and so on)
I would have not bought a Wrangler - in fact, I likely would not have bought a truck at all as my Chevy was doing ok, except it needed tires really badly due to AGE on the tires, so they didn't lose any sale with me. In fact, they gained a customer. I'd be driving my cars, my 04 WJ or my Chevy truck and my wife would have her Grand Cherokees.
They sold a vehicle because of the existence of the Gladiator.
So perhaps all of those people who have asked or talked to me about it may now go out and buy a JT - who otherwise wouldn't have a Jeep, offsetting any possible loss of Wrangler sales by increasing JT sales.
There must be more like me who has always wanted a "real Jeep" like the Wrangler, was already sold on the brand because of my FANTASTIC stellar luck with their other vehicles- Cherokee, Grand Cherokee but couldn't justify a Jeep as a toy, or just for fun. Not in the budget. But since it's a TRUCK, I could justify it (and now it's costing me dearly LOL - but that's ok............ gotta enjoy my last few years)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I see a lot of people that were not in the Jeep market until this.
Like me.
We've owned many Jeeps - always Cherokee, then Grand Cherokee, we have two Grand Cherokees now (my WJ and my wife's 2018, soon to be a 2021) but never this sort of Jeep.
Since it was a truck, I could justify it, otherwise, FCA would have never sold us a Jeep last year.

Sponsored

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
Dude, it’s going to hurt wrangler sales....but as I said, it’ll be the soup of the day, ultimately what that means is people will revert to their favorite.....that said, the bronco is great for us Jeep people it forces them( Jeep)to offer more and improve the product...we are the benefactors.
the 4Runner has sold steadily for years. The bronco seems to be a better SUV in every way but (maybe) reliability. I think the bronco will do well and be around as long these types of vehicles are popular. Right now you have one choice of you want to take the top and doors off. So there is room for a competitor.

Your right too, competition is good for us. I think the bronco will hurt the 4Runner sales more than the wrangler’s.

wchevron

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2020 JLU
I think the Bronco will impact Wrangler sales in certain markets. We were looking for a car for the kids. I wanted to get a Gladiator for them, really for me but say it was for them. Wife and kids weren't really into it, 2 daughters. So we ended up with a Wrangler, just picked it up yesterday.
If the Bronco was out now, that would have been a serious consideration.
Since we don't need the Wrangler for offroad use but really like the top down, doors off summer option with it, if the Bronco was better equipped at the same or lower price it might have been the choice we went with.
So maybe it's the mall crawler crowd that goes to the Bronco. I'm betting that's a big chunk of the Wrangler market so the Bronco could affect that portion of it.

Wicknalter

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
So maybe it's the mall crawler crowd that goes to the Bronco. I'm betting that's a big chunk of the Wrangler market so the Bronco could affect that portion of it.
[/QUOTE]

I’m going to agree with you here. This is the sector of Wrangler that’s going to take the hit. Your hardcore and hobby offroad guys will stay Wrangler due to the straight axle. Ford is going to sell the suburban housewives and grey hairs looking to “relive their youth” but do it in comfort will gravitate towards the Bronco.

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I’m going to agree with you here. This is the sector of Wrangler that’s going to take the hit. Your hardcore and hobby offroad guys will stay Wrangler due to the straight axle. Ford is going to sell the suburban housewives and grey hairs looking to “relive their youth” but do it in comfort will gravitate towards the Bronco.
[/QUOTE]

I'm going to agree with you as well, but I think it won't be terrible, and whatever harm will be temporary. Markets tend to overreact to something new, whether it's positive or negative. Then they pull back, correcting to somewhere back in the middle until something else upsets the balance.

Just wait and see - when many of the new Bronco crowd starts having the inevitable issues you get with a brand new design, there will be second thoughts creeping in. Then once the new wears off and they notice that their Broncos don't have the character and fun associated with Jeeps, we'll see the tide turn back.

I just hope that FCA doesn't panic and do some kind of modernistic body design change. I think that would screw the pooch for Jeep.

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
One factor is the engine, if the Bronco had a V6 , I would have waited and looked at one. Back in the day I had a 74 302, loved the truck. In our case the Gladiator did kill a Wrangler sale we were going to replace our 13 Sport.
Sponsored