Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
If you never use the truck bed for anything, or don't want to lift just the rear part of the cover to access something in the bed (which you'd never be doing anyway as the top would take up the bulk of the bed)
Cool, but makes it less usable as a real truck.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
If you never use the truck bed for anything, or don't want to lift just the rear part of the cover to access something in the bed (which you'd never be doing anyway as the top would take up the bulk of the bed)
I think the point is to be able to "convert" at will.

There have been times I have been in Anza Borrego desert camping, 75 miles from home and I'd love to take the top off but don't want to leave it on the ground in the sand. I also don't want to drive out there with it off. This makes the truck a convertible at will with no pre-planning.

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
If you need to use it as a real truck, you could still either keep the roof on, or store it somewhere else, same as now.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

There have been times I have been in Anza Borrego desert camping, 75 miles from home and I'd love to take the top off but don't want to leave it on the ground in the sand. I also don't want to drive out there with it off. This makes the truck a convertible at will with no pre-planning.
Makes sense.
That works, but I generally travel with stuff in the back of the truck. The only exception may be if we drive to FL this summer. But I have to use a lift to get the top off mine so it won't help me any. I can see those who pull a small camper, do some overlanding and such, it would be a good thing.

And like most accessories, it's going to fit some quite well, others not so much.

Where I live - you ALWAYS want the roof panels with you! Never leave the panels at home. Clear skies, chances of rain about 0% - hahahaha, yea, right. Keep the panels with you unless you can swim while driving. More than once I was thankful the panels were in the truck and the roof rear was on. I don't think the floor drains would have let the water out fast enough and the winds would have sucked the breath right out of you.

Deleted member 47279

i saw this and thought it would have been a good idea from inception. realisitally it makes no sense after the fact. in order to protect bed you have to unprotect cab lol most of us already have a system for the bed in place.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
i saw this and thought it would have been a good idea from inception. realisitally it makes no sense after the fact. in order to protect bed you have to unprotect cab lol most of us already have a system for the bed in place.
No, there is a hard tonneau that the top clips to (32 in the picture), when the top is on the tonneau is still covering the bed, at least thats what it looks like in the drawings.

Sponsored

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic

Wasn't that called a Chevy avalanche?
Didn't last to long!

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Wasn't that called a Chevy avalanche?
Didn't last to long!
Have you seen the new electric silverado? I think the avalanche is back.

Also, while we obviously all think our truck is pretty, most of the world considers it an abomination. People in gladiator houses shouldn't really be throwing stones at avalanches until we've got a little more than 3 model years under our belt. Avalanche was around from 2002 to 2013