Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I Had a similar experience with 2019 Ram Rebel. Within the first 6 months it Had to be towed to the dealer 3 times.
It had Burning smell in the cabin when the truck was running,
Touch Screen stereo would black out.
sometimes the truck would just die with no electric to it at all and have to get towed.
And it averaged 7-8 mpg all the time consistently.
The dude from Ram said the Hemi needed 25,000 + miles to break in properly and then the MPG should improve and burning smells should clear up. I’ve owned several Rams with hemis and never had to break an engine in for 25,000 miles until it ran right. Lol.
Geez. The ingenuity some people show for making shit up never ceases to amaze me!
Sponsored

firemedic2714

First Name
Scotty P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubicon, 19 Genesis G70, 1972 Ford LTD coupe
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
The OP has the $2,000 extra automatic transmission (manuals don't have torque converters). The Aisin 6-speed that is installed in Jeeps has no issues (that I've heard of). The problem with manual transmission-equipped JTs/JLs is the pressure plate which is supplied by another vendor.

SGTBILL

First Name
BILL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Rubicon ( Call of Duty), 2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
How can you sell thousands upon thousands of Gladiators and not have transmissions for people to replace the shitty ones we lucked up with? No one should spend 50-62 grand on a loaded Gladiator and have it sit at a dealership for months with 1100 miles on it. Jeep making a really bad name for itself.
This is tragic couldn't this be perused under the Federal Lemon Law and returned. This is evidence of what happens when Jeep , true American, is owned by Europes worst car manufacture Fiat. Post your complaint everywhere. I have owned 5 Jeeps just bought a new Gladiator, it lacks Jeep Strength. From the company that got kicked out of America in the 60s!

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
This is tragic couldn't this be perused under the Federal Lemon Law and returned. This is evidence of what happens when Jeep , true American, is owned by Europes worst car manufacture Fiat. Post your complaint everywhere. I have owned 5 Jeeps just bought a new Gladiator, it lacks Jeep Strength. From the company that got kicked out of America in the 60s!
Technically, Jeep is now owned by Stellantis, but I digress. The Gladiator lacks "Jeep Strength"? What exactly do you mean by this? The current JL/JT Rubicon drivetrain platform is probably the best/strongest drivetrain I have ever ever experienced in an open-body Jeep (which dates back to my first CJ in 1989). The addition of the 6.4 Hemin in the JL (which will hopefully make its way to the JT) puts it light-years beyond anything previously available.

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Technically, Jeep is now owned by Stellantis, but I digress. The Gladiator lacks "Jeep Strength"? What exactly do you mean by this? The current JL/JT Rubicon drivetrain platform is probably the best/strongest drivetrain I have ever ever experienced in an open-body Jeep (which dates back to my first CJ in 1989). The addition of the 6.4 Hemin in the JL (which will hopefully make its way to the JT) puts it light-years beyond anything previously available.
Hard to look at it that way when you are dealing with failed transmissions so early in mileage.

I have had a JK, a TJ and way back a Cherokee and the one thing that was solid on all of the them was the transmission. So many problems with the trans in the JT and their apparent lack of urgency in fixing them is disappointing to say the least.

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Hard to look at it that way when you are dealing with failed transmissions so early in mileage.

I have had a JK, a TJ and way back a Cherokee and the one thing that was solid on all of the them was the transmission. So many problems with the trans in the JT and their apparent lack of urgency in fixing them is disappointing to say the least.
I have to disagree. The ZF 8-speed transmission is proven very reliable worldwide, in multiple applications. I have also had numerous Jeeps (18 to be exact), with both manual and automatic transmissions, and found many of them to have very questionable reliability. Notably, the Aisin manual 5-speed in the early YJs, the automatic transmission in the 1997 Grand Cherokee, as well as the automatic transmissions in the early 2000's Grand Cherokees. The TJ automatics were reliable, but performed poorly, with their electronically controlled torque converters (Try driving a TJ on 33s up a mountain). Ford had notoriously pathetic transmission reliability in the 90's as well. It sucks that anyone has a problem with a new vehicle, but as with any production automobile, there will be a few problems.

wvuviv30

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Live Sound Engineer - Meerkat Sound

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Wrong country for 2021. Italy was so 2020...
Jeep is still an FCA brand and FCA is globally headquartered in Italy. Stellantis is a 50/50 merger between a French company and the aforementioned Italian company. yes Stellantis is now a Netherlands charted company but that's the European equivalent of Delaware. So - if you want to talk to Corporate Jeep I still think you call Italy... ? 😁

Sponsored

Akgladiator

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Gladiator Wrangler Camaro Mustang GXP Taurus
Occupation
Bee
Sorry op. I feel your pain. Chrysler products always come with some issues. If you lucky it's minor, unlucky will be major issues. Of all three domestic manufacturers, Chrysler products been the most problematic in all my vehicles.

I doubt the new organization will make it any better because Peugeot is another problematic brand.

You won't find much compassion here when most pro jeep owners gladly accept issues come with their Jeeps.

I recommended u look into your state lemon law. Most states allowed vehicles to be lemon once 30 days in shop period is reached.

Totally agree with you. That's why I am still on the side line....

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
You won't find much compassion here when most pro jeep owners gladly accept issues come with their Jeeps.
Ive been a Jeep owner for decades and always accepted the quirks and "issues"....but when you need a complete transmission replacement after only a few miles...it really makes you question and rethink things.

Shakes, rattles, wind noise, piss poor gas mileage is one thing....but being left stranded is another.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
But I think focusing your irritation at Jeep is only half right. Remember that they didn't install the best transmission they could get, they installed the lowest bidder's. That's the cost of doing business, literally and figuratively. Jeep is not in this to build the best, they're in it to make a profit. It may sound cynical, and to an extent it is; however, shit really does happen.

This is not right, Jeep put an excellent German transmission in the gladiator capable of handling over 700ft/lbs of torque

BELOW QUOTED FROM TRANSMISSIONS ARE US

“The ZF 8 Speed has developed a reputation for being one of the best automatic transmission systems on the market today. Made by German supplier ZF, it has a long, decorated history of success within the automotive industry in both passenger and commercial vehicles. “

“What Makes the ZF 8 Speed Transmission Excellent?
The ZF 8 Speed transmission has an overwhelmingly positive reputation within the automobile industry. Its highly flexible design means that the ZF transmission can be used within a huge number of car models, ranging from expensive sports cars to luxury sedans.

The ZF 8 Speed transmission can accommodate a maximum torque output from as low as 300 newton-metres up to 1000 newton-metres. The torque converter can even be swapped out for an electric motor – creating a hybrid option that will still carry significant power.

It is compatible with virtually all rear-wheel-drive vehicles and can work with the majority of all- or four-wheel-drive systems. The ZF 8 Speed transmission can easily be integrated into nearly all vehicles – no matter whether it’s an old or new model.

Hydraulic functions within the gearbox even allow the ZF to be suitable for start/stop engine configurations, allowing vehicles to greatly increase their fuel efficiency. The clever technical design of the ZF gearbox also allows for multi-gear shifts. The ZF 8 Speed transmission can shift, for example, from third to sixth gear seamlessly, giving a vehicle with instant, increased power.

This is why experts live by the ZF and state that it is as good as, if not better than, dual clutch transmission models. “

“Which Manufacturers Use the ZF 8 Speed Transmission?
If you’ve bought a high-end vehicle in the past several years, the odds are good that it contains a ZF gearbox.

The ZF has been particularly popular in many automatic luxury sedans and sports cars. Manufacturers from Aston Martin, Chevrolet, Alfa Romeo, Dodge, Ford and BMW all rely on ZF transmissions to function.

You would never think there was anything in common with a Ford F-150 and Rolls Royce – but they both often contain a ZF gearbox.”

Even the Toyota 5th gen 2020 Supra uses this transmission.

This transmission in different configurations can handle over 700 ft/lbs.

This auto is in a Lamborghini as well!

No Jeep did not skimp on the 8 speed automatic.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
One more thing, I love manuals and I had one in my 2016 Rubicon Hard Rock that I bought new. I loved rowing through the gears but the long throws and sloppiness wasn’t my favorite. Still better than previous Jeep manuals I have owned. I got the MT because then the auto was a 5 speed piece of doo doo.

When I went to buy the Gladiator and read about the 8 speed auto, there was no way I would go with the manual again. After driving the new 8 speed I loved it... and I could only get the Max Tow with the 8 speed auto and there is a reason for that. The manual can’t handle the towing needs for it.

GolfFanatic87

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bright white gladiator Rubicon
Covid has been a total &$@$! I have a 2017 rebel that’s now in its 3rd rear end. Last time it went, I had to wait 3 months while all parts were back ordered indefinitely. Have always wanted a wrangler so I took the plunge on a 2021 gladiator rubicon only to find out after I signed the bill of sale that I’d be looking to wait between 3-6 months for delivery....
Sponsored