Sponsored

JT a sales failure & doomed to same fate as the Scrambler?

VolInGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Gladiator Overland
Gladiator sales for 2022 were off 13% vs. 2021. The whole Jeep brand was off 12%.
That said, there were nearly 78,000 JTs sold in 2022, more than 11% of total Jeep
sales.

Guess we’ll have to wait and see 1st Q 2023 sales numbers.

1677457136870.png

Kevin
Wrangler sales last year seemed to be more constrained by availability than was the case with the Gladiator. That said, I think Gladiator success/failure is area specific. I’m in TN and see Gladiators everywhere. There are three in my neighborhood of about 18 houses.
Sponsored

Mflowers11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Hi Alt, 2017 Wrangler, Rcky Mtn
Occupation
Finance
I would love to see the JT v JL gender comparison. Around me JLU are mostly ladies. JT are 100% men. Might be very local or a national trend.
My wife says the girls at work think my JT screams midlife crisis and a small “D” enhancement strategy! I’d say it’s fair to say it’s a dudes car as much as a VW convertible bug is a woman’s! 😂
Can’t say I can argue with the midlife crisis part of that!! 🤷‍♂️

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S

onewhippedpuppy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Aerospace
I think it’s funny how the self proclaimed Internet experts proclaim the V8 and manual transmissions to be dead because that’s what CNN told them to believe, but then every new special edition model featuring a V8 or manual transmission has a waitlist or is selling used with a markup. Wrangler 392, Porsche 911 GT3 manual, and the CT5-V Blackwing are great recent examples. Are they niche, of course. But if they’re dead, they still seem to sell well in speciality vehicles.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I'm not hating on the engine for those that got salty but this engine in old as F and needs to be replaced . I have no desire for the 4xe ad I hear they are nothing but a nightmare . More torque would be nice though and a updated interior ....that Ram 1500 media screen is nice
I agree the engine is not enough for towing... but, for non-towing, with the right gears for the tires, I think the engine is satisfactory. I have been watching some you tubers lately that have replaced their engines with Hemi and Hemi supercharged, and they show themselves adding gas now in all their 4WD videos. My JTR with 37s, 5:13 gears, manual transmission gets much better gas mileage than I every anticipated. This is much appreciated in this day and age, and super nice when you are rock crawling in 4WL all day in some remote areas. For me, with a manual transmission, crawling in granny gear or 4WL 2nd gear, rarely using the clutch, the gas mileage is amazing.

As an example, when we ran the Rubicon Trail last year (two nights camping), I brought with me an extra 5 gallons of gas, and it turned out that I did not need it at all. I was basically in granny gear just above idle for 3 days and the JTR was very miserly on gas. The automatic JTRs with us used a little more gas because of the torque convertors and they rev. a little more when climbing rocks, but, it was still impressive overall.

Sponsored

harleyroyh43

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Supervisor
The gentleman in this video claims Gladiator sales have slowed significantly and, without better powertrain options, JTs are doomed to fail soon as 'too niche a vehicle'. I don't know what the latest sales figures show, but prior sales figures showed Gladiators as selling well enough.

Of course, I want the Gladiator to be very successful. But what if there was a reason the Scrambler was discontinued while the CJ/Wrangler platforms carried on? Was the Scrambler, like the JT, not a great pickup and not a great Wrangler, but only great at overlanding or other niche fun?

It’s V8 or die,, it’s how it works with high dollar pickups

ToJTornottoJT

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1997 Jeep XJ
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser/Broker
I see the Gladiator as an extension of the Wrangler. Unless they start breaking the Wrangler down to 4-Door and 2-Door sales I don't see the difference. How many parts are interchangeable between the Wrangler and the Gladiator? What about between a 4-Door Wrangler and a 2-Door Wrangler? I think of the Scrambler as the same... it was CJ.

'22JTRD

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Real Estate
Maybe the JT is a "niche" vehicle, but to me it checked off so many of my boxes that I let my FoMoCo dealership sell my 2023 2 door, 7 speed Manual, Badlands Sasquatch instead of buying it when it came in last month after waiting almost a year and a half after ordering for delivery.

My brother had a 81 CJ-8 & I have had (2 ) J-10 trucks among the Baker's Dozen of 4x4s I've owned.

I would have bought a Modern Scrambler every time I got something else with the exception of my 7.3L Dually CrewCab.

Is the JT on the way out ?

In my personal space, that is a question I have no reason to dwell on.

Having acquired my '22 JTRD @ 60 years old , I feel confident that I am good to go for as long as I will be driving.

Sold my 1st gen 85 4Runner in 2020, if this JTRD gets me anywhere near 35 years of service, she's gonna take me to the end of my (off) road ...

Digster

First Name
Diggy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Occupation
Collector

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
All you gotta do is watch two or three of Ben Hardy’s videos back to back to know that he’s effectively wrong on everything he talks about. He tries to come off as a know it all but he’s really just wrong.
Pretty much this. His videos have popped up in my YT recommended feed for a couple months now. He has a vehicle review channel and this industry commentary channel. The latter, he like to thumbnail and gloom and doom his video titles on just about everything like the sky is falling to get the clicks.

IIRC, he came from a CDJR sales background and knows the RAM lineup pretty well. Everything else, he wings it like he is an insider but half the time it is just a Houdini seance rambling.

Since launch, Jeep always stated their capacity and sales goals were around 75K units per model year and until now, that has been roughly the case. Even if Jeep only sells in the 50K range in 2023 in this recession economy, I would still call that a win.

Sponsored

Mojave2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
For me the Gladiator is the first pick up truck I've ever owned and I've been driving for over 20 years. Never had any urge to own one before it. I've never had a Wrangler either. The ability to have a convertible, SUV and pickup in a single package was what enticed me over anything. It really is a unicorn.

I'm pretty happy with the handling / ride of my Mojave even with its MT tires, although my wife doesn't agree with me as much. I was worried about the lack of power but it gets the job done - and I'm not driving it like a sports car anyways.

shawnebell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB, CJ5, CJ7, CJ8, M109, M38, TJ, JK
I'm confused by those who think that dealerships are "overstocked" on JTs.

Dealerships have an allocation of a specific number of vehicles - in this case, the JT. This is based on FCA/Stellantis' best guess as to how many JTs will be sold in that area (dealerships usually have a protected area of at least 15 miles between dealerships). The ONLY way to increase allocation is to sell JTs. For every two or three units sold, the dealership gets an additional allocation unit. So you have to sell three to get four more to sell.

As far as discounts ... some of that is up to the dealership, the rest is up to the manufacturer. Some dealerships are looking for sales volume, others are looking for maximum price per unit. There's usually more discount if the customer purchases and uses the dealer's preferred bank; the dealership gets points (money) for placing the unit with the bank.

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
For me the gladiator is perfect. It can tow, it can haul, and it can wheel. For the people who don't do those things, it is a terrible truck.

The engine is reliable, but hideously behind the times. It looks weird stock, and it rides so badly compared to other vehicles. Even on this site, I suspect there is only a minority that utilizes the capability these things truly have.

Even the other day, with sparkling weather, I didn't take the top off because its a huge hassle. Same with the doors. It looks good on a commercial, but in the real world it just isn't that big of a deal.

I value mine so dearly because it was once again the perfect vehicle to tow my trailer to KOH and get me to the trails, then tow by camper home. This weekend I'll be back in the desert at TDS. But the volume buyer simply doesn't need that and a toyota, ranger, or colorado will be just fine.

ScottBeach

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator sport s
Occupation
Engineer
This is roof off doors off weather. Unless i have to go "over the bridge" like today. Oddly i dont take the rear doors off. As the grandkids need doors.

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
For me the gladiator is perfect. It can tow, it can haul, and it can wheel. For the people who don't do those things, it is a terrible truck.

The engine is reliable, but hideously behind the times. It looks weird stock, and it rides so badly compared to other vehicles. Even on this site, I suspect there is only a minority that utilizes the capability these things truly have.

Even the other day, with sparkling weather, I didn't take the top off because its a huge hassle. Same with the doors. It looks good on a commercial, but in the real world it just isn't that big of a deal.

I value mine so dearly because it was once again the perfect vehicle to tow my trailer to KOH and get me to the trails, then tow by camper home. This weekend I'll be back in the desert at TDS. But the volume buyer simply doesn't need that and a toyota, ranger, or colorado will be just fine.
Hard or soft top? Once you get a system for either, it’s a pretty quick process. A good chunk of JT owners in my area are in that camp though (perfect weather and the top Is on).

I agree on the doors. Most people aren’t going to remove them. For starters, you’ve got to have somewhere to put them, so that rules out most folks that don’t have a garage or storage shed. I imagine that there‘s a good amount of folks that won’t be removing them due to physical limitations, as well.

In my case, the weather is very hit or miss in my area. I’ve gotten caught out in the rain without my freedom top panels a few times. One time was so bad that it reminded me of getting caught in a downpour on my old motorcycle. I’m sure it would be a bit less fun with spray coming in through the side, as well. :LOL:

Part of me would like matching half-doors some day (would be a good compromise vs. Door-less). Maybe if the price comes down someday.
Sponsored