Sponsored

JT Gladiator Upper Decker Hinged Cargo Basket Now Available!

Pat2Alaska

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Hydro-Blue Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Jedi
Have decided to sell my Upper Decker with Tent Brackets. I’ve really liked this but need easier access to the entire bed now. This has been fully Rhino-lined and is better than new. Pickup only in NW Iowa. I will help you mount it. $999.
Jeep Gladiator JT Gladiator Upper Decker Hinged Cargo Basket Now Available! B37195C8-1B9F-4BA6-9E84-8D8DE89096EC
Jeep Gladiator JT Gladiator Upper Decker Hinged Cargo Basket Now Available! 242ED3B9-5671-4FBA-A025-A789465EFE06
Sponsored

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tomb Raider Rubicon, 2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Have decided to sell my Upper Decker with Tent Brackets. I’ve really liked this but need easier access to the entire bed now. This has been fully Rhino-lined and is better than new. Pickup only in NW Iowa. I will help you mount it. $999.
What do you think about using an ARB jack for lifting the UD? I know it is heavy and takes some work to raise @Pat2Alaska

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
The replacement struts for my replacement struts showed up and they were the wrong ones again :mad: Apparently they have 10" struts in the packages marked marked as 15" struts. So I guess I'll have to try either a different source or one of the different brands.

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
The replacement struts for my replacement struts showed up and they were the wrong ones again :mad: Apparently they have 10" struts in the packages marked marked as 15" struts. So I guess I'll have to try either a different source or one of the different brands.
I've got a different set of struts that are supposed to be here on Thursday. The compressed length is slightly shorter, but I don't think that will matter (longer would though). I'll try and get them installed either Friday afternoon or over the weekend and report back.

Sponsored

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I've got a different set of struts that are supposed to be here on Thursday. The compressed length is slightly shorter, but I don't think that will matter (longer would though). I'll try and get them installed either Friday afternoon or over the weekend and report back.
Ur efforts are much appreciated

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Alright, I order these 100lbs struts off of Amazon and they are a direct replacement for the struts that ACE includes with the UD. They make the UD stay open much better and I no longer worry about reaching through the side and the thing slamming down on my arm. The UD is still easy enough to open as well.

I don't think they are going to hold it open with a RTT on it though. My son weighs 80lbs and if he sat on the RTT mount closest to the cab, the UD would stay open. If you tried to move to the rear RTT mount, it would close rather quickly.

If you are going to put a RTT on the UD you will either have to have much stronger struts (which will have to be longer) or get some 100lbs struts that actually lock open. The latter might be best as the struts will help lift the weight and them you can lock them. I'm not planning on running a RTT on mine (I've got an off road trailer) so I do not plan to search for some locking struts.

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If necessary, ill just carry a piece of 2x4 to prop open if need. Otherwise, the j hook I got at a truck stop (love's, flying j, pilot) has worked pretty good. I don't plan on mounting anything inside, all would be in HD totes or cooler to prevent sliding around.

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tomb Raider Rubicon, 2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Does anyone have photos of their UD and RTT mounts supporting a roof top tent?

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon (Billet Silver)
Occupation
Military Officer
I have the Upper Decker and I made my own mounts, so that I could hold a RTT or anything else I wanted (roof basket, bike racks, kayak rack, etc...)

Jeep Tent (Packed 1).jpg

Jeep Tent (Packed 2).jpg

Jeep Tent Annex 1).jpg

Jeep Tent Annex 2).jpg

Jeep Tent Opened.jpg

Sponsored

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is UD basket and mount with rtt. My rtt is a 2 person tent. Bigger ones may hang over the rear a lil. Rtt was not the reason for getting stuck, that was my doing and on purpose lol.

Jeep Gladiator JT Gladiator Upper Decker Hinged Cargo Basket Now Available! 20200828_212247
Jeep Gladiator JT Gladiator Upper Decker Hinged Cargo Basket Now Available! 20201220_133512

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Folks - generally it sounds like those who have the Upper Decker like it and are OK with the compromises e.g. having a hard deck doesn't allow much play if you have a tall item in the bed although the upper decker makes it easy to load stuff on top and tie it down. Has anyone had to remove and reinstall for a temporary application e.g. moving day? Was it a PITA or just fine? I don't want a cap (ARE, RSI etc) because i think its too difficult to remove for short term needs - I want to remain flexible. But I also need a secure bed particularly during hunting season, camping season, fishing season, biking season etc.

Also - what about getting it to lift higher for easier access all the way to the cab? I get that i'd need to solve angles on the front of the upper decker to avoid damaging the cab, and I get that a taller opening impacts what can be stored on the upper decker... thoughts?

Pat2Alaska

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Hydro-Blue Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Jedi
Folks - generally it sounds like those who have the Upper Decker like it and are OK with the compromises e.g. having a hard deck doesn't allow much play if you have a tall item in the bed although the upper decker makes it easy to load stuff on top and tie it down. Has anyone had to remove and reinstall for a temporary application e.g. moving day? Was it a PITA or just fine? I don't want a cap (ARE, RSI etc) because i think its too difficult to remove for short term needs - I want to remain flexible. But I also need a secure bed particularly during hunting season, camping season, fishing season, biking season etc.

Also - what about getting it to lift higher for easier access all the way to the cab? I get that i'd need to solve angles on the front of the upper decker to avoid damaging the cab, and I get that a taller opening impacts what can be stored on the upper decker... thoughts?
I removed to have it Rhino-lined. Eight bolts with nuts removes it. That is leaving the hinges on the bulkhead and the shocks attached to the bed. I just zip-tied them so they wouldn't flop around for the couple of days I drove without the Upper Decker. Of course need four guys or sometype of a lift to remove and put back but only takes a few minutes to take the eight bolts out and put back.

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I believe it opens enough, but the shock are only strong enough to hold it up empty. Any extra weight and it'll be difficult.

I just removed my rtt for a trip I'm currently on, thank God I did. Been hauling a bunch of wood last 2 days and been helpful. As for accessing underneath, invest in some totes with handles and pick up a j hook from Loves, flying j, or pilot. Got my winch and recovery gear in one tote. Hauled wood in a couple others. Very handy and organized.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
I believe it opens enough, but the shock are only strong enough to hold it up empty. Any extra weight and it'll be difficult.

I just removed my rtt for a trip I'm currently on, thank God I did. Been hauling a bunch of wood last 2 days and been helpful. As for accessing underneath, invest in some totes with handles and pick up a j hook from Loves, flying j, or pilot. Got my winch and recovery gear in one tote. Hauled wood in a couple others. Very handy and organized.
Cool thank you - I see that some have discussed struts with higher pressures. I may look into that but I expect that also makes it harder to close when unloaded. Appreciate the thoughts thanks!
Sponsored