JUNK YARD FORD 1 TON AXLE SWAP

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
I do my work out of a 14x24 storage barn..
In the grass or stone drive to do anything! One of the reasons I try to justify having a shop do stuff lol or am I just getting fat and old? …. … eh both probably
Sponsored

Chance575

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C
Occupation
D
Did you find a work a round for the abs ????

OP
OP
TRAILJT

TRAILJT

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Did you find a work a round for the abs ????
I did, I think. LOL I am still waiting on the new parts to arrive. The first thing I tried does not work for the Jl or JT. That was machining the rear hubs and pressing on a 60 tooth tone ring to match the front ford tone ring that comes installed in the unit bearing along with using a Ram truck abs sensor that physically fits the jeep harness but my JT does not recognize the signal due to a much lower Ohm resistance.
I called and spoke to Trevor from WFO Concepts about their front long arm kits and happened to ask him if he knew of another way to please the ABS system. He had just seen another JT or JL that had done the ford axle swap also. He told me to contact Rock Solid Motorsports in Chattanooga, TN. I spoke to a guy there and he sent me a video of their really cool 52 tooth external ring that presses onto the outside of the front hubs. It utilizes the factory jeep JL/JT abs sensors and no need to try to trick the computer. I also had to order a new set of Artec 52 tooth tone rings to replace the previously installed 60T rings I installed on the rear hubs. I will let everyone know how it works out after they are installed. I have a really good feeling about this new setup. There is a much cheaper way to trick the abs system it involves installing both front and rear abs sensors on the rear axle. I didn't like this setup but it seems like it would do the trick.

Chance575

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C
Occupation
D
Sounds like it should work, thanks for being a Guinea pig for us and sharing

OP
OP
TRAILJT

TRAILJT

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Ok so here is what the new front exterior 52 tooth tone rings look like installed with Factory Jeep ABS speed sensor installed. I can't see this not working. I have both front rings installed on the front. I will be installed the new 52 tooth rings on the rear hubs tonight. Keep your fingers crossed for me. Oh, I almost forgot. depending on what Unit bearing you have it may be necessary to trip the corners of the mounting flange in order to slide the ring over. Im sure a grinder would have worked just fine but I have a large engine lathe handy at home so I simply chucked them up and shaved the corners off for clearance.

Jeep Gladiator JUNK YARD FORD 1 TON AXLE SWAP IMG_5489.JPEG

Jeep Gladiator JUNK YARD FORD 1 TON AXLE SWAP IMG_5490.JPEG

Sponsored

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I know what you mean and understand your situation.

I'm an east coast transplant from SoCal. I use to build Jeeps fulltime for a while. Perhaps you know mrblaine (Blaine Johnson), he's one of the guys I built Jeeps with. He ownes Black Magic Brakes and use to do work for Gerald (Savvy Offroad).

I often did grunt work, and Blaine did almost all of the knit picky stuff. :LOL: Kept me plenty busy and learned a thing or two that way.
I remember MrBlaine from the Jeepsunlimited days!
memory lane 🍻

Joe Dillard

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Mojave, '91 YJ Wrangler, '17 Ram 3500 CTD
Occupation
DoD Contractor
I remember MrBlaine from the Jeepsunlimited days!
memory lane 🍻
Yep, Blaine and I go back to late 1999 which was not long after he first started to build Jeeps. I started building Jeeps fulltime in 1977 for Rancho and Mickey Thompson.

Nice work with the lathe! Looks sweet.

DesertShot

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon JT (White)
I just picked up a set of 05+ SD axles myself to build up, and already have the wfo long arms lol.

What lockers did you go with?

OP
OP
TRAILJT

TRAILJT

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the Yukon zip lockers.

Wruckus

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Efficient maintenance execution
Vehicle Showcase
Did the new set up end up working out? I picked up a king pin 60 for my front and am still debating between a stearling or 14 bolt for the rear.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TRAILJT

TRAILJT

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Did the new set up end up working out? I picked up a king pin 60 for my front and am still debating between a stearling or 14 bolt for the rear.
Good Morning, Yes, it all worked out great. It took a bit to get all the ABS to work correctly but I finally satisfied the computer the right way. Hit me up if you need any help. I went with 2005+ Ford one tons D60 and Sterling 10.5 and couldn't be happier. The one think I have not finished is making the factory Parking brake work with the axles. I think I am just going to add a manual line for the rear wheels but I am not sure yet. I do have a few ideas to make the factory brake cables work.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I have not personally dealt with parking brake cables with your combo, but found Summit Racing and Lokar have a universal kit that's inexpensive and has worked for every axle swap I've dont to date. Summit kit was like $125 I think.

OP
OP
TRAILJT

TRAILJT

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have not personally dealt with parking brake cables with your combo, but found Summit Racing and Lokar have a universal kit that's inexpensive and has worked for every axle swap I've dont to date. Summit kit was like $125 I think.
Good morning, are you talking about cables or line lock?

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
OP
OP
TRAILJT

TRAILJT

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Cables.....

This kit https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...L84dnDX10iIeNfJdUkE8fb33fx_GAhuEaAr1zEALw_wcB has worked good on 8.8 and GM 1 wonton swaps in the past for most vehicles, but I have not had the JT/JL parking brake handle apart to know. I would think it would work great on the Sterling end since they look just like an 8.8 brake, just bigger. 8' should be enough to make it forward?
Thank you! That looks like it will work perfect since it has interchangeable ends. I think I am going to purchase it.
Sponsored