Just Towed My Boat Roughly 220 Miles

DylanR

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
My setup: Sport S Max Tow, 4.10 gears, Max Tow Springs, Rubicon Fox Shocks, 2.5 Front 3/4 rear level, 37” Ironman MT tires, 17” Gear Wheels, Custom Thrush Exhaust, Shell 87 Gas, located in middle TN. Boat is a 2015 Axis T22 and weight I’m guessing around 6,000-6,500lbs.

I hauled my boat roughly 220 miles (give or take) to the dealership and back for a small update. The first initial 9-12miles consist of back road hills and dips and a small mountain incline. From then on it’s mostly 65mph hwy and 70mph interstate for about 75 miles or so then more slow 45mph - 55mph congested area. On the way back it rerouted me to an even more rural route of normal driving speed signs of around 55. Mostly straight road, few hills... but very rural.

On interstate / straight road etc I drove mostly 58-63/65 mph. The Jeep hummed along at about 2800rpm and upwards of 3400rpm on slight inclines when holding a gear. It pulled the boat surprisingly well. It didn’t pull it like a diesel truck, but in comparison to what I have hauled with before it held its own. I previously had a ‘17 3.5 EcoBoost and it was really good for sure obviously... but the gladiator held its own for what it is and my set up.

Mine did love to hold 2nd gear occasionally, or hold a gear longer than you would like occasionally, but I feel these trucks under load are designed to shift that way and the fact I’m running 37’s prolongs it just a bit (not terrible.) This seems more evident when you are stopped at the bottom of a steep incline and are starting from a dead stop.

I liked how if I let off the gas going down a steep grade with a turn or something the Jeep felt like it held it back nicely. Didn’t feel like it was trying to run off with it. Braking was also good. My trailer is well equipped, but it’s a big boat so it would still have some push... but the gladiator held its own just fine braking.

My average mpg seemed to be around 9.4 all together for the total trip... given the set up I can live with that. I don’t trailer far on a regular basis... normally around 40 miles round trip.

I didn’t try to really hammer it for one because hauling my boat around 65mph is about all I want to do...

It was cool to roll up in the dealership with my Gladiator pulling the boat. Most just kinda looked at it confused and like wow. There were diesels all over the place and rightly so if you have a boat bigger than mine... Mine being 22ft.

I felt like a driving Jeep commercial hauling it though... just showing what the truck
is capable of in a safe manner. I really feel like it is the most capable/versatile truck you could possible ever buy.

Would I want to haul a trailer of blocks or bricks with it with no trailer brakes at this weight... probably no... but with a properly equipped trailer it tows well.

Never did I feel like I was being over taken or overwhelmed... I did know it was back there though... but the rubicon fox shocks are a bit “touchy/sensitive” which is fine because that is how they are suppose to be... it rode really well.

if I could figured out a way to improve the towing ability of the truck right now I would consider looking into it. I may add a cold air intake... and possibly a bed cover to help divert air flow... but keeping it the way it is I was very pleased at how it did.

Am I interested in a diesel version gladiator just like mine?... yes... if it has better performance... towing, torque, horsepower. Am I super proud of the way this truck is performing... yes to that too.

DB313DB9-9646-49A5-86D0-828D453A90D9.jpeg
Sponsored

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red JT
Good to hear your JT is pulling well. No recalibration of the speedo after adding 37's?

3-pedal-Rub

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Night Train, Buell Lightning, TL, 4runner, JTR
Looks good! Strip that thing naked and lets see some updated photos this summer.

Sponsored

3-pedal-Rub

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Night Train, Buell Lightning, TL, 4runner, JTR
Just thinking you might see an improvement in shifting.

That is for speedometer calibration only. You cannot change the shift points.

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
That is for speedometer calibration only. You cannot change the shift points.
I think the idea is that if the speedo info the system is seeing is incorrect, the transmission logic can be affected.

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red JT
I think the idea is that if the speedo info the system is seeing is incorrect, the transmission logic can be affected.
Correct! Only mentioned it because you talked about the shifting. Would probably make a noticeable difference running 37's. Returns the shift points back to normal.

Last edited:

Tony F

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Correct! Only mentioned it because you talked about the shifting. Would probably make a noticeable difference running 37's. Returns the shift points back to normal.
I agree, it made a difference in my shift points after I went to 35’s. Well worth doing IMO.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
The numbers say the boat weighs 3800# dry, so full of fuel just under 4100#. 1500# for a tandem trailer (at the most) is about 5600#.

Sponsored

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
What boat is that?

Length?

Weight?

FLGladiator

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seadoo
My setup: Sport S Max Tow, 4.10 gears, Max Tow Springs, Rubicon Fox Shocks, 2.5 Front 3/4 rear level, 37” Ironman MT tires, 17” Gear Wheels, Custom Thrush Exhaust, Shell 87 Gas, located in middle TN. Boat is a 2015 Axis T22 and weight I’m guessing around 6,000-6,500lbs.

I hauled my boat roughly 220 miles (give or take) to the dealership and back for a small update. The first initial 9-12miles consist of back road hills and dips and a small mountain incline. From then on it’s mostly 65mph hwy and 70mph interstate for about 75 miles or so then more slow 45mph - 55mph congested area. On the way back it rerouted me to an even more rural route of normal driving speed signs of around 55. Mostly straight road, few hills... but very rural.

On interstate / straight road etc I drove mostly 58-63/65 mph. The Jeep hummed along at about 2800rpm and upwards of 3400rpm on slight inclines when holding a gear. It pulled the boat surprisingly well. It didn’t pull it like a diesel truck, but in comparison to what I have hauled with before it held its own. I previously had a ‘17 3.5 EcoBoost and it was really good for sure obviously... but the gladiator held its own for what it is and my set up.

Mine did love to hold 2nd gear occasionally, or hold a gear longer than you would like occasionally, but I feel these trucks under load are designed to shift that way and the fact I’m running 37’s prolongs it just a bit (not terrible.) This seems more evident when you are stopped at the bottom of a steep incline and are starting from a dead stop.

I liked how if I let off the gas going down a steep grade with a turn or something the Jeep felt like it held it back nicely. Didn’t feel like it was trying to run off with it. Braking was also good. My trailer is well equipped, but it’s a big boat so it would still have some push... but the gladiator held its own just fine braking.

My average mpg seemed to be around 9.4 all together for the total trip... given the set up I can live with that. I don’t trailer far on a regular basis... normally around 40 miles round trip.

I didn’t try to really hammer it for one because hauling my boat around 65mph is about all I want to do...

It was cool to roll up in the dealership with my Gladiator pulling the boat. Most just kinda looked at it confused and like wow. There were diesels all over the place and rightly so if you have a boat bigger than mine... Mine being 22ft.

I felt like a driving Jeep commercial hauling it though... just showing what the truck
is capable of in a safe manner. I really feel like it is the most capable/versatile truck you could possible ever buy.

Would I want to haul a trailer of blocks or bricks with it with no trailer brakes at this weight... probably no... but with a properly equipped trailer it tows well.

Never did I feel like I was being over taken or overwhelmed... I did know it was back there though... but the rubicon fox shocks are a bit “touchy/sensitive” which is fine because that is how they are suppose to be... it rode really well.

if I could figured out a way to improve the towing ability of the truck right now I would consider looking into it. I may add a cold air intake... and possibly a bed cover to help divert air flow... but keeping it the way it is I was very pleased at how it did.

Am I interested in a diesel version gladiator just like mine?... yes... if it has better performance... towing, torque, horsepower. Am I super proud of the way this truck is performing... yes to that too.

Jeep Gladiator Just Towed My Boat Roughly 220 Miles DB313DB9-9646-49A5-86D0-828D453A90D9
I could imagine snow boarding down those hills in that yard in the winter. Awesome looking place.

OP
OP
DylanR

DylanR

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Thanks! I have since traded that one in for a diesel version and personally would not look back at the max tow… diesel all the way. It tows 10 to 1 better. I did get a different boat… the Malibu will weigh just a bit more as well.

BEE55B19-6C22-4E6B-8711-BC904E6C9D15.jpeg
Sponsored