First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1997 Jeep XJ
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser/Broker
It’s a V-Drive. The engine is the very back. Entire trailer and boat is 5,300 pounds. It slowed on one good hill, but otherwise did it easily.

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
Yes, this angle I can see it better. I know they do that to make a bigger wake. I liked a wake for trick skiing but not slalom so the straight inboard was suited for those. It looks like it would tow stable.
Thanks for the other photo.

rpres62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
I think the diesel is lower in tow rating than the v6 gas motor
You will be pushing it in my honest opinion at 5k

But I’m positive others will chime in and help as I only tow a couple thousand pounds or less with mine
I had a ecodesiel in a ram 1500 it makes a ton of torque and will pull much more the the v6 gasser. Not even close.

GRDIESEL

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel
Build Thread
Link
The diesel gladiator would be happy to tow that boat. Mine is 24 ft and weighs in around 5500 with trailer.

FCC378A2-6348-4EC1-9FBF-6675E89B242C.jpeg

Sponsored

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
You should be fine, my 21 foot Frontier CC weighs 3500 per paperwork, over the scales gas 3 batteries fishing gear and assorted dive gear I run 6100 last week. My gaser pulls it fine, I know its back there but no issues. I pulled it 800 miles to Key West only issue is my gas mileage dropped to 15.

Slojo

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Unlimited X, 2011 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Colorado Z 71
The Gladiator Max Tow or Diesel will do great. Towing limits deal more with safety and physics than what will the motor pull. My two cents worth is that I have found that the closer your weight is to the max towing capacity of the vehicle you are in, the more you will wish you had a bigger truck...

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
Should be no problems. I used to tow a 5,500 lb 1985 Larson DC215 (21.5' cuddy with a 350 cu.in. engine) on a twin axle trailer with both a 1993 AND a 1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo with the I-6 and NO trailer package (just a bolt on class III receiver). Those engines were 190 HP and 235 ft.lbs. of torque (can't beat the old I-6's). I did do the same boat with a '96 RAM 4x4 extra cab and the 5.2L 'magnum' but it couldn't handle it nearly as well as my Grands. So, the Gladiator with the trailer package will handle it (up to weight limits) with no issues. Just be careful, drive low and slow(er).

OP
OP
ToJTornottoJT

ToJTornottoJT

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So... whatchu think?
It did pretty good overall. It did struggle a little on an uphill section that my Ram 1500 with the 5.7L was able gain speed up.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ToJTornottoJT

ToJTornottoJT

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Decently does not mean adequate for stopping or handling in terms of emergency
the trailer has full hydraulic tongue actuated brakes on both axles. when the Jeep slows down it compresses the tongue which presses on the master cylinder. The Jeep stops no problem.

Last edited:

Dan in Pasadena

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
^^ Good to see this picture. Your boat looks a lot like my 2003 Centurion wakeboard boat and I've wondered just how well the Gladiator would tow it. Specifically, if I need to invest in a load distributing hitch? Yours looks like it's squatting a little in back. Would you recommend air bag helpers in back?

It’s a V-Drive. The engine is the very back. Entire trailer and boat is 5,300 pounds. It slowed on one good hill, but otherwise did it easily.
Mine is not a V drive, its direct drive with the engine in the middle which I assume will make it tow a little better.

the trailer has full hydraulic tongue actuated brakes on both axles. when the Jeep slows down it compresses the tongue which presses on the master cylinder. The Jeep stops no problem.
Mine has this surge brake system too but it's not working. Used to be I couldn't back up the trailer an inch without putting the special insert in the trailer tongue to keep from actuating the brakes. I'ver never noticed it leaking but I'm HOPING it's just low on fluid. I'm at a bit of a loss to figure out how to bleed such a system but I'm tai king maybe just fill it and hook up the trailer. Back up to pressurize it, check the wheels and crack the bleeder. We'll see, I guess.

Oh and P.S. Here's my boat when I used to tow it with my 2008 Chevy 3500HD Dually:

804D70EE-11FB-44F0-AB40-C0EEEA27D9E6_1_105_c.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ToJTornottoJT

ToJTornottoJT

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
^^ Good to see this picture. Your boat looks a lot like my 2003 Centurion wakeboard boat and I've wondered just how well the Gladiator would tow it. Specifically, if I need to invest in a load distributing hitch? Yours looks like it's squatting a little in back. Would you recommend air bag helpers in back?

Mine is not a V drive, its direct drive with the engine in the middle which I assume will make it tow a little better.

Mine has this surge brake system too but it's not working. Used to be I couldn't back up the trailer an inch without putting the special insert in the trailer tongue to keep from actuating the brakes. I'ver never noticed it leaking but I'm HOPING it's just low on fluid. I'm at a bit of a loss to figure out how to bleed such a system but I'm tai king maybe just fill it and hook up the trailer. Back up to pressurize it, check the wheels and crack the bleeder. We'll see, I guess.

Oh and P.S. Here's my boat when I used to tow it with my 2008 Chevy 3500HD Dually:

Jeep Gladiator Will it Tow My Boat? 804D70EE-11FB-44F0-AB40-C0EEEA27D9E6_1_105_c
with my boat hooked up to my gladiator it sits almost perfectly level. In that picture there is a slight gray that makes it look like it’s going uphill. The easiest way I found to bleed my trailer brake system is to chalk the rear wheels and then take a 2 x 4 and place my foot on the ground with a 2 x 4 in front of it directly in front of the tongue and then I push forward which depresses the tongue. And I just keep on doing this like I was pumping the brakes.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
He wasn't talking stopping. As the Iowa DOT sergeant told me when we chatted on the phone - accident because your truck couldn't be maneuvered, you are liable.
It's not just having brakes on the trailer that help the truck stop. You need to stop FAST and/or turn to avoid someone - it's on you. It's stopping, steering, etc. in near emergency situations. If your truck is too light, it won't matter if you have brakes.
Sponsored