First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
HVAC Tech
I haven't seen this, but I'd like to see part numbers and revisions for original housings that leak, and replacement housings, on the assumption they don't leak. Would be good to know if they changed to the new part number along the production line. I would assume the same for the JL crew, but I don't frequent the JL forums.

Can you guys post the old and new housing part numbers? Or alternately, confirm they're the same part number when they get replaced?
Good question, Is this happening on the JL's too?
Sponsored

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Add me to the club. I just noticed a wet spot on my garage floor. Sure enough my right rear is wet.

1/21 build date

012110 MDH

nlicalsi91

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sahara Tank Green
God damn it. Add me to the list too. I can’t get a Loaner car from my dealer until February 3rd. I do medical device sales and travel all over Long Island. 4,800 miles currently, bought new 11/23/21 build date September 2021. So frustrating

CorvusOver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Earliest in thread with leak is 9-30-2020, latest is 9-21-2021.

Edit: This has me thinking this issue may continue to the 2022 models I guess be on lookout for 1 of those.
Do we know if there has been a running change? I have a JTRD scheduled to be built 1/27/22 and I reallllllly hope they have a fix for this in production.

Sponsored

Mojave2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
so, is there any aftermarket solution to this?
I’ve mentioned this a few times on this 70+ page thread now but I recommend having your entire rear end housing replaced by your dealer. So far my right rear wheel has been bone dry since October. The right side only repair I had performed multiple times and it was leaking again within a couple of weeks.

Sank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 LJR, 22 JTRD
I’ve mentioned this a few times on this 70+ page thread now but I recommend having your entire rear end housing replaced by your dealer. So far my right rear wheel has been bone dry since October. The right side only repair I had performed multiple times and it was leaking again within a couple of weeks.
@Mojave2021 can you please post a part number/ revision of your new housing so we can all check if it's different than the original?

Kickaxe07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro-Blue Pearl Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Machinist
so, is there any aftermarket solution to this?
After 2 axle seal replacements, they changed the entire axle housing on the third attempt. Got it back on thursday, dry so far but ive only put about 300 miles on it. so fingers crossed.

Sponsored

sdk131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow - Sarge Green
Unreal that this is still happening. I have to believe by now FCA knows what the actual root cause/issue was. Probably stuck with bean counters in a back room somewhere calculating their potential costs/risks of an official recall or TSB. Mine has been repaired twice so far (shaft assembly only, not entire housing) and I am fully expecting it will leak again.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Unreal that this is still happening. I have to believe by now FCA knows what the actual root cause/issue was. Probably stuck with bean counters in a back room somewhere calculating their potential costs/risks of an official recall or TSB. Mine has been repaired twice so far (shaft assembly only, not entire housing) and I am fully expecting it will leak again.
Absolutely. This seems to be the only major widespread problem with this platform. One would think it'd be at the top of the list to correct. It can't be cheap replacing all these axles over and over again. Is this a JT only thing, or is it affecting Wranglers too? Does anyone know?

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
Do we know if there has been a running change? I have a JTRD scheduled to be built 1/27/22 and I reallllllly hope they have a fix for this in production.
You’ll also want to hope they stopped washing the transmission housings and other internal transmission parts with glycol before assembly.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Absolutely. This seems to be the only major widespread problem with this platform. One would think it'd be at the top of the list to correct. It can't be cheap replacing all these axles over and over again. Is this a JT only thing, or is it affecting Wranglers too? Does anyone know?
Unless they started using these Dana heavy-duty axles in the Wrangler - it's likely only the Gladiator.
These are different housings. Except - in the case of the Wrangler Rubicon, what I've seen is that Wrangler still comes with a Dana 30 in the front and a Dana 35 on the rear, with the Dana 44 only being used under the Wrangler Rubicon.
If that is true - then Wranglers would not be impacted, except Rubicon, but then are the Wrangler Rubicon Dana 44s the same as the Gladiator 44s??
In any case, unless they changed Wrangler for 2021 and put Dana 44 under all Wranglers, it won't impact Wrangler as this would seem to be a Dana 44 only issue, only in 2021 model year starting part-way into the model year. (and depending on the Wrangler Rubicon axles........... )

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
08/20 Build Date JTR
(History)
Changed diff oil at 1000kms and replaced with AMSOIL, 2nd change at 10k kms (analysis all good) and last one at 30k kms (analysis all good).

I know exactly what’s wrong and this is not a guess. If I was a betting man, I’d lay all my chips down on “it’s an oil issue” or brand used. The factory oil isn’t cutting it. The oil is supposed to help the seals, seal. Oil’s job isn’t to just lubricate and leak. It has to condition the seals as well and that also means to make them swell., ever so slightly. The right side is the drive wheel so there’s more pressure over there. Yes it’s the right side and not both and yet not everybody’s right side is leaking nor have the non issue vehicles changed the oil for some other brand. This is a mystery for sure but if I had a leak, FCA would void my warranty for using AMSOIL.

I’ve already had my entire drivetrain warranty restricted for using AMSOIL and I don’t even have this leaky problem with the axel. (Knock on wood) But if I did, they would point to THAT as the problem. (So run with this for a moment)… They would blame the oil as the problem. So maybe upgrade to an oil that conditions the seals better.

My oil changes have been excessive but the volume of filings is substantially lower than someone’s diff not changed and maybe filings play a part in the higher oil pressured right side.

If I’m right, I’ve spent about $60 on AMSOIL and 3 changes. If I’m wrong, ive spent $60 and 3 changes.
Sponsored