Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Not that I've ever seen. And I've done rear brakes 3 times now. Only thing that's damp/wet is the backing plate. I suppose if the leak is bad enough it could contaminate the parking brake.

Honestly the parking brake on my JKR never really worked anyways. I've spent enough time adjusting it, trying to get it to grab, and it just never does. I don't use it anyways, so no loss.
What I've seen in the pics posted about axle leaks in the forums here would not indicate brake issues, especially the main brakes. There are shields in place. Some vehicles actually have a channel and shield that diverts any leaks to the back side of the backing plates (drum brakes) or shield (disk brakes) to protect the brakes. It's a sort of drain in a way - if this leaks, guide the lube away from the brakes and down the backside of the plate. Some shields in the past even had a sort of V or funnel shape to the bottoms.
It would have to be worse, and for an extended period, with these. My case it was bad and I hadn't noticed it for a while on that WJ .
Sponsored

aj93jeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Just got mine back today. Here in Indianapolis I was able to drop mine off on Tuesday this week for service Wednesday (they squeezed me in with no appt) and they had it ready Thursday night about 4p.

Now just got to watch and see if it starts leaking again.

They used part # 68474264AA Shaft-Axle Rear
Let’s hope Mac Haik is that quick. Ironically there was another 2021 getting an oil change with the same issue.

Railpoler

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sarge Green D Gladiator, 06 TDI Golf, 74 Thing
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Since there is talk of contaminated brakes, here is my condition. I recentlyhad my leaking rear passenger seal replaced by a local dealer. When I picked up the vehicle I did not see anything on the invoice about cleaning or replacing the brakes. I asked the service manager about this and he told me the mechanic said the contamination was not bad and he was able clean it up. I got home and looked under the car and the inside of the wheel and dust shield were still covered in oil. I pulled the wheel, caliper, and rotor to verify. E brake lining and drum area were saturated with differential fluid and the rotors inside surface had a film of oil. Inside pad had oily sludge on its leading edge. I am trying to figure out how to proceed with the dealership.
Jeep Gladiator Leaking axle seal? 5C559A71-4360-4488-AE52-40867BA82DFC
Jeep Gladiator Leaking axle seal? EC18EB2F-0E33-4218-9262-71F4C88769E6
Jeep Gladiator Leaking axle seal? 64CAFF70-20B3-47A3-85D0-FC0E0B2FACB9

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Take it back. Say that you looked under the truck and seen that everything is still oily. Don't say that you took it apart. They will blame you for the bad pad

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Take it back. Say that you looked under the truck and seen that everything is still oily. Don't say that you took it apart. They will blame you for the bad pad
Yup.

That mess is inexcusable. Doesn't look like it was cleaned at all to me.
When we fixed leaks, we gave the vehicle back to the customer looking like it had never had a leak. The point wasn't to fix the leak and do nothing else, it was t clean up the mess the leak made, take it back in time.
These people swap parts and that's about it. No customer service.

Sponsored

Railpoler

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sarge Green D Gladiator, 06 TDI Golf, 74 Thing
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I am leaving on a 2,000 mile trip in another two days and don’t trust this dealer now so I used two cans of brake clean to get things in reasonable shape. I am unsure if the pads are shot regardless of how well they have been cleaned. I have read where others have had pads and rotors replaced by the dealer. I can tell the mechanic had to remove the rotor to change out the axle so I can’t fathom how or why this happened.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Brake clean will clean up the rotor no problem. But the pads have to be replaced. The one in the picture has a piece missing. I would replace the e-brake shoes too. You'll never get the lube out of them.

glassjawkid32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Anymore info on this being a recall or campain as someone noted? App continues to tell me there is nothing active on my vin.

Thomaas

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1951 Willys truck, 1952 Willys Wagon, 2021 Gladiat
Occupation
Retired mechanic
Well, crawled under my JT a while ago to look at spring part numbers and discovered my right rear axle seal is leaking. Less than 1K miles on the truck. Guess I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow.

Took awhile for the part to arrive. Axle/bearing/seal assembly. Mechanic said the axle was pitted and caused seal failure. About a 3 day fix. Dealer provided a rental car. So far, so good. So, either there are no parts inspections during assembly or the part was inspected and deemed to not create a problem....WRONG.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Just got back from my second Jeep Wave oil change and they found the PASS rear axle leaking. Gotta take it in Wednesday to get it diagnosed. Assuming I'll get it back same day for parts - would be nice if they had a loaner. 10350 miles.

Hey. If you need support while at the dealership, send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

pwrdbyjp

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Macks Toe
Occupation
Diesel Technician

mert34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
oem ones are spendy but aftermarket ones are like 20.

power stop makes some B941

aj93jeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
To the surprise of no one. Parts are on back order nationwide. I got the fluid topped off and will await a call to replace I suppose. Will need a good cleaning after. If the dealer doesn’t take care of it. I guess I will.
Sponsored