canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2005 Jeep TJ RME
[/ATTACH]
You got any pictures of the bulbs you mentioned, night shots?
On a rural road near my house with no streetlights. Pointing up a hill. (These are the Halogen Sylvania Silverstar Ultra for context, not LED.). Low beam:
7DEFFEC3-0E2E-4F0D-A581-D24652BBAA7F.jpeg

Hi beam, you can see further up the pine tree:
EFCC08D2-D7DA-472D-9066-48FCA654F98F.jpeg

I don't have a "before" of crap stock halogens. But here are my 6" Rigid 360's with driving pattern pointing at the same terrain:
AFB99F28-8417-4088-B15A-AD18BD44135E.jpeg

I could never find a lumen rating for the Silverstar Ultra, it comes up as "1000" but that is the same rating as the Sylvania stocker replacement standard bulb. Can't be correct. It's quite usable light, around 4100 color temp.
Sponsored

Last edited:

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Using the cheap LED bulbs for my headlights. Work fine so far. Did have to re point them after install though since they were angling up a little high. Worked without even using the taser. I do plan on going with oracle sometime in the future though since the light pattern looks so much better than these, but for $26 it was well worth it to be able to see at night.

JamesStPatrick

First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I could never find a lumen rating for the Silverstar Ultra, it comes up as "1000" but that is the same rating as the Sylvania stocker replacement standard bulb. Can't be correct. It's quite usable light, around 4100 color temp.
The "1000" lumens is a nominal figure that all H13 bulbs' low beam filaments are supposed to roughly meet, give or take a few percentage points.

Sylvania knows very well the actual number of lumens, but won't publish it because it's not flattering.

Silverstar Ultra bulbs are not much better than their Sylvania Basic bulbs.

For one, Sylvania itself says that its Silverstar bulbs could cause headlamps to fail minimum legal standards.

YVvFYM4.png

Here's some independent testing on the Silverstar bulbs compared to the cheaper, basic bulbs.

There's a reason the Silverstar bulbs seem brighter--it's because they emit slightly bluer/cooler white light than standard bulbs, and our eyes at night have a heightened sensitivity to blue. We perceive light with larger components of blue as "brighter." That's why a lot of people complain about glare from LEDs or HIDs--those are two pretty blue light sources. In fact, studies found that HID headlamps generally produce less glare than halogen headlamps, but the bluer nature of HIDs made people think they were getting hit by a stronger, brighter light.

bwvhtCe.png

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The "1000" lumens is a nominal figure that all H13 bulbs' low beam filaments are supposed to roughly meet, give or take a few percentage points.

Sylvania knows very well the actual number of lumens, but won't publish it because it's not flattering.

Silverstar Ultra bulbs are not much better than their Sylvania Basic bulbs.

For one, Sylvania itself says that its Silverstar bulbs could cause headlamps to fail minimum legal standards.

YVvFYM4.png

Here's some independent testing on the Silverstar bulbs compared to the cheaper, basic bulbs.

There's a reason the Silverstar bulbs seem brighter--it's because they emit slightly bluer/cooler white light than standard bulbs, and our eyes at night have a heightened sensitivity to blue. We perceive light with larger components of blue as "brighter." That's why a lot of people complain about glare from LEDs or HIDs--those are two pretty blue light sources. In fact, studies found that HID headlamps generally produce less glare than halogen headlamps, but the bluer nature of HIDs made people think they were getting hit by a stronger, brighter light.

bwvhtCe.png
I don't know what your point is dude, I drove with them and they are nice and bright. And regarding your 'alarming' red-underlined paragraph, yeah, Jeep Halogen headlights are very conventional reflector housings, not projectors. So not relevant and way out of context.

JamesStPatrick

First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Jeep Halogen headlights are very conventional reflector housings, not projectors. So not relevant and way out of context.
Very good observation!

The point is that Sylvania is willing to charge $40+ for the privilege of bulbs that may cause many peoples' cars to fail minimum legal standards. No where on the package does it say "not for projectors."

I prefer patronizing more honest companies, that's all. Not sure about you.

Also, perhaps the next person who read this thread will be able to save some $$ by sticking with the Basic bulbs instead of the "upgraded" Silverstar bulbs if they have projectors on another car.

Just trying to provide useful, money-saving information :).

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
As I mentioned I’ve had no issues, if that changes I will be going the HR route
@Jeeperjamie , original post.
You guys got high and low beam correct. Just want to make sure. I read some of the reviews and people were saying that they only had low beam. I'm leaning to getting a straight replacement for the foglights and will do the Sylvania bulbs in the DRL.

JOKER8R

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR / GCM - 2016 KIA Optima
You guys got high and low beam correct. Just want to make sure. I read some of the reviews and people were saying that they only had low beam. I'm leaning to getting a straight replacement for the foglights and will do the Sylvania bulbs in the DRL.
Yes, hi & lo beams. Been installed for several months and no issues. For the price they are a great option. Are there better options out there, of course there is but this was a great place for me to start. When I did mine options were limited so I figured I’d start with these and see what developed.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, hi & lo beams. Been installed for several months and no issues. For the price they are a great option. Are there better options out there, of course there is but this was a great place for me to start. When I did mine options were limited so I figured I’d start with these and see what developed.
I'm in, just wanted to make sure they had high and low beam. I ran bulbs on my jk for a few years a loved them. Anything will be upgrade over stock

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
I don't know what your point is dude, I drove with them and they are nice and bright. And regarding your 'alarming' red-underlined paragraph, yeah, Jeep Halogen headlights are very conventional reflector housings, not projectors. So not relevant and way out of context.
x2

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
If you want to see much better and stay Halogen, SilverStar Ultra make a big difference and are probably available at your local auto parts store:
https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-SilverStar-Performance-Replacement-Technology/dp/B005KDO8U0

They also heat the front lens so less risk of snow and ice buildup in winter conditions. I'm running the Alla 7440 LED yellow and white for front blinkers and drl's no issue, and didn't even use my taser to reprogram, they just work. Alla 921's for reverse lights. I wouldn't buy another thing from Headlight Revolution. Might try the Oracle H13 LED retrofit bulbs in summer.
Not the best pictures, but here's the link from when I put them in my JL.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/upgraded-halogen-headlights.8343/
Any issue with bulb life?

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
@Jeeperjamie , I installed the headlight bulbs about a month ago. Make sure you orient the bulbs properly and you won't have any issues. Check your headlight alignment afterwards just to be sure but nothing should change. I've driven a good deal of dark back roads and haven't been flashed by oncoming traffic yet. Huge improvement in light output, best $25 I think I've spent on my Jeep. Just to note, I only changed the headlight bulbs.
I concur, clock em correctly, adjust up down properly and I've had thousands of super bright, not flashed at driving. I bought the supernova v2 headlights.

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any issue with bulb life?
I only got my Gladiator in November, put in the Silverstar's the first couple weeks and the Alla's gradually after. Not lost any bulbs yet. I have read elsewhere the Silverstar's only last like a year or so, we'll see. I do wish they were a little whiter color temp to better match the 6500k LED fogs I put in (entire assemblies, not fog bulbs) but that is a cosmetic factor.

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
I only got my Gladiator in November, put in the Silverstar's the first couple weeks and the Alla's gradually after. Not lost any bulbs yet. I have read elsewhere the Silverstar's only last like a year or so, we'll see. I do wish they were a little whiter color temp to better match the 6500k LED fogs I put in (entire assemblies, not fog bulbs) but that is a cosmetic factor.
I’ve read the same of sub year lifespan. I suppose it’s not an expensive changeout...

JamesStPatrick

First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I’ve read the same of sub year lifespan. I suppose it’s not an expensive changeout...
They're not expensive if you take advantage of the 1 year warranty. They otten pop within a year and if you play your cards right, you can get a free replacement. That usually means giving your phone number/email address to the parts store at the time of purchase, so they can look up your receipt when your bulb pops and you go back to redeem the warranty.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
I read through this thread and decided to go the LED route. I didn’t use the lights listed by OP, but I’ll share my findings. I went with Sylvania Zevo White LED in the DRL and reverse lights. Cost $50 for all four.

First off was the reverse. They were plug and play. That simple. Zero issues. They were an obviously brighter white light, but I haven’t seen them at night, so output is TBD. Bulb number for my Sport S was 921. First photo shows LED left and halogen right. Second is LED in both.

Next is the DRL. I do have a Sport S, but a package my Gladiator came with added the upgraded DRL assembly. I have one bulb for blinker and another bulb for DRL. There is a side marker that is separate as well. The bulb number for the DRL was 7443. These bulbs were plug and play as well. They worked EXACTLY as the halogen bulbs did. They come on when AUTO is selected when headlights are on or off, when lights are turned to ON, when lights are turned to DRL only, when fog lights are on, etc. EXACTLY like the halogen lights. I say all that because when doing research I read that some LED bulbs that replaced halogen would only work on AUTO. These work just like they were factory except they look MUCH better.

Good luck to anyone who goes for this. You’ll not be disappointed. Now for headlights and fog lights!!:rock:
Thanks for providing the bulb #'s for the Sylvanias @Moe_Fugga, installed the same on mine and the fronts are much better. I wasn't able to get pics of the backup lights, but they do seem brighter and much whiter as well.

Pics of the front are below, shows a better comparison than pics I've seen on this thread. First pic is with the darkness slider on the phone adjusted a bit for more detail, second is more of what you can expect at night. You can see the light is brighter, and much more white in color. Hopefully it's evident the passenger side is the LED bulb.

MVIMG_20200301_135032.jpg

MVIMG_20200301_135026.jpg
Sponsored