First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2020 GC Altitude
Occupation
Small Business Owner
I have this same issue. Previously had a Raptor with LED and also an F-350 with LED both stayed warm enough to melt. My JKU years ago with halogens also did. Between the defroster and headlights it’s a hazard.
Sponsored

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
OK I have never had a problem with this, mainly because I live in Florida. I have replaced my factory headlights with after market lights if any one would like to swap my halogen for LED lights let me know.

ad78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
im thinking now putting HID's but the concern is i am going to blind incoming vehicle. and putting a hole on that back cover casing of the headlight.

it happened to me twice now as living here in Connecticut. not safe being on these leds..

RIPLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLU, 2015 Jeep Renegade

Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
It would be nice if they offered the heater feature as a standalone product.
Question is- what’s keeping them from doing it...

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
This thread is starting to concern me a bit. Are there any solid workarounds yet? I wish frostfighter would release something relevant.

Seems odd to me I can get a front-facing trailcam with heated washer fluid, but my headlights will ice over? weird.

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
This thread is starting to concern me a bit. Are there any solid workarounds yet? I wish frostfighter would release something relevant.

Seems odd to me I can get a front-facing trailcam with heated washer fluid, but my headlights will ice over? weird.
It shouldn't if you planned to purchase any new vehicle with LED lights as majority of US companies do not offer heated LED lights as standard, or optional, equipment.

Personally waiting on JW Speaker to come out with their 9" heated headlights. Dunno what is taking them so damn long.

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I've developed a contrarian view on this subject after seeing all the drama here regarding LED's. I've been on the fence for some time about putting in LED's of some kind, but I do drive in the NC mountains where snow can be heavy and sticky. The last several vehicles I've driven have had LED's that weren't recessed and they still got snow sticking to them on occasion.

Now that I've got the halogens on my truck, I think they're fine. I actually think that though they don't appear as bright in the near field, I can still see farther in low beam because there's not as much of a defined line between that and the darker distance. I always run the fogs and that brightens up the near field considerably. I admit all of that may be my imagination, but I can drive these hilly and curvy country roads with my halogens and see just fine with low beam. It was brighter in the near field, but much harder to see in the distance with low beams on my previous LED's (Infiniti, Buick, BMW). That's because of that stark line of darkness out there past the bright light. When you're headed down a hill that line of darkness cuts off visibility just ahead where the hill starts back upward again. Those of you who drive in hilly curvy country like in Western NC know what I'm talking about I'm sure. Sure high beams help in that regard, but you've sometimes got cars constantly coming around the curves and it's a pain to just keep switching from high to low right as they pass by.

So anyway, with threads like this and my overall satisfaction with the halogens, I realize that the only thing that tempts me to want LED is people here on the internet saying that halogen is horrible. For your purposes maybe it really is horrible, but halogens have been lighting highways with absolutely no drama for many decades and they've never caused me a problem. I may actually put LED bulbs in the tails and backups sooner because I do like that idea, but I'll keep these halogen headlights until I'm a year in and see if the options improve. Then I'll revisit it.

Sponsored

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've developed a contrarian view on this subject after seeing all the drama here regarding LED's. I've been on the fence for some time about putting in LED's of some kind, but I do drive in the NC mountains where snow can be heavy and sticky. The last several vehicles I've driven have had LED's that weren't recessed and they still got snow sticking to them on occasion.

Now that I've got the halogens on my truck, I think they're fine. I actually think that though they don't appear as bright in the near field, I can still see farther in low beam because there's not as much of a defined line between that and the darker distance. I always run the fogs and that brightens up the near field considerably. I admit all of that may be my imagination, but I can drive these hilly and curvy country roads with my halogens and see just fine with low beam. It was brighter in the near field, but much harder to see in the distance with low beams on my previous LED's (Infiniti, Buick, BMW). That's because of that stark line of darkness out there past the bright light. When you're headed down a hill that line of darkness cuts off visibility just ahead where the hill starts back upward again. Those of you who drive in hilly curvy country like in Western NC know what I'm talking about I'm sure. Sure high beams help in that regard, but you've sometimes got cars constantly coming around the curves and it's a pain to just keep switching from high to low right as they pass by.

So anyway, with threads like this and my overall satisfaction with the halogens, I realize that the only thing that tempts me to want LED is people here on the internet saying that halogen is horrible. For your purposes maybe it really is horrible, but halogens have been lighting highways with absolutely no drama for many decades and they've never caused me a problem. I may actually put LED bulbs in the tails and backups sooner because I do like that idea, but I'll keep these halogen headlights until I'm a year in and see if the options improve. Then I'll revisit it.
Saying halogens isn't an issue because they have been used for years isn't the problem here. It is that the Jeep halogens, specifically, are garbage in many situations.

Mine were great when I was the only one on a back road. Otherwise they were terrible and I couldn't see shit. That is what people are complaining about.

Even still, with the stock halogens, I still had snow build up that didn't melt. It is a fault of the recessed headlights that is exacerbated when you have LED lights.

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Saying halogens isn't an issue because they have been used for years isn't the problem here. It is that the Jeep halogens, specifically, are garbage in many situations.

Mine were great when I was the only one on a back road. Otherwise they were terrible and I couldn't see shit. That is what people are complaining about.

Even still, with the stock halogens, I still had snow build up that didn't melt. It is a fault of the recessed headlights that is exacerbated when you have LED lights.
I get that, and like I said in my post - the halogens may actually be horrible in some peoples' views. All I said was that for ME - I think the halogens are fine. I used them for many decades before LED's came into the picture and I'm fine with them now. I didn't intend that to imply that others should adopt my view any more than I do theirs.

I don't have the built up snow problem with halogens and I'm okay with their light output. That's it. Sorry if that was offensive to some - seriously it was never intended to be.

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get that, and like I said in my post - the halogens may actually be horrible in some peoples' views. All I said was that for ME - I think the halogens are fine. I used them for many decades before LED's came into the picture and I'm fine with them now. I didn't intend that to imply that others should adopt my view any more than I do theirs.

I don't have the built up snow problem with halogens and I'm okay with their light output. That's it. Sorry if that was offensive to some - seriously it was never intended to be.
Lol offensive? It's your opinion, there is nothing offensive to finding something working well for you.

My post was just clarifying the complaints people have that you, luckily, don't need to deal with. And I envy you lol

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Lol offensive? It's your opinion, there is nothing offensive to finding something working well for you.

My post was just clarifying the complaints people have that you, luckily, don't need to deal with. And I envy you lol
Okay - thanks for clarifying that! Thanks also for your first response calling me out. I was just thinking out loud - not even thinking about how others might read it. I realize now that my post could be taken by some as belittling the issues that they now have with their factory LED's. That was never my intent.

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay - thanks for clarifying that! Thanks also for your first response calling me out. I was just thinking out loud - not even thinking about how others might read it. I realize now that my post could be taken by some as belittling the issues that they now have with their factory LED's. That was never my intent.
Never took it as such, and i dont think anyone would take it like that so you're good 👍 sorry if my post sounded like you were.

There are always draw backs to one or the other, regardless of which direction you go. If i was able to use the stock halogens without issue I absolutely would.
Sponsored