First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Harbor Freight is slowly migrating away from percentage discount coupons and free item coupons. Going to a more in store sale based pricing. Part of their push the last couple of years to rebrand HF and many of the items in it to the "Prosumer" customer base marketing.

FWIW I typically stop in harbor freight Friday nights to kill a little time I’d otherwise spend in traffic and low and behold now through 3/1 they’re doing 20% off any single item for people with their membership deal, so I’ll be back the next three days to get the other 3 I need.

$480 is a smokin deal for the 12000 apex. Also found a great looking tree saver for $18 and 20’ strap for $28. I wouldn’t trust yanking with a harbor freight strap but as an extra 20’ to winch I’ll take it

9781F267-2739-4C6E-A62F-23647D4089E9.jpeg
Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
It does give flexibility. It requires a fair amount of dedication too. I did this for a while with my JKU. I got tired of taking it off and on. Had trouble getting it attached in mud and stuff too
Never thought about the difficulty in getting the cradle into the hitch in mud, the winch would sit much lower

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Never thought about the difficulty in getting the cradle into the hitch in mud, the winch would sit much lower
Leaving on kills approach. From years ago...

Danzigsdad

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 85 Toyota 4WD, 2000 Landrover Disco II
Occupation
Mil
FWIW I typically stop in harbor freight Friday nights to kill a little time I’d otherwise spend in traffic and low and behold now through 3/1 they’re doing 20% off any single item for people with their membership deal, so I’ll be back the next three days to get the other 3 I need.

$480 is a smokin deal for the 12000 apex. Also found a great looking tree saver for $18 and 20’ strap for $28. I wouldn’t trust yanking with a harbor freight strap but as an extra 20’ to winch I’ll take it

Jeep Gladiator Let's Talk Winches 9781F267-2739-4C6E-A62F-23647D4089E9
I picked up one Friday as well. Will not fit on Paramount Guardian bumper. Bummer. Too large for the plate and would require cutting of the strengthening webbing

Sponsored

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
But, the winch wouldnt be on until it is needed, so it wouldnt have scraped the dirt
yeah. It just gets old moving the 100lb winch each time so you end up leaving it on. That’s what this exercise was about. To see if it would make it.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
But, the winch wouldnt be on until it is needed, so it wouldnt have scraped the dirt
What if your Jeep decided to die, right there, pointed down in the ravine?

I’ve been in numerous positions where you’d never be able to pull the winch out and fit it into a front receiver.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
What if your Jeep decided to die, right there, pointed down in the ravine?

I’ve been in numerous positions where you’d never be able to pull the winch out and fit it into a front receiver.
Right, everything is a tradeoff. Eventually I want to get a second winch to attach to the back hitch as needed, keeping front bumper winch as is. But, that is extra weight and expense

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Have any of you guys relocated the control box to under the hood? I have A Warn EVO 10s mounted in a LOD Signature Series bumper and would like to relocate it because I do not like how the cables come out of the back and are tight against the grill. I rotated them some, but it is still tight.

Gobi1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Just had the Smittybilt 9.5 Gen 3 installed its really an improvement over the 2nd Gen but to be honest I wish I bought the Badlands 12k winch at Harbor Tool and Freight during Christmas. I have 5 friends who have it and they rave about it and have used it a lot.

did you buy the X20 Gen3? I'm looking at this one or the Badlands... not sure which to get

Sponsored

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
I have to agree with you on staying in your comfort/experience zone. I will most likely buy a Ramsey 9500 Patriot, While I know the winch is not a favorite here. I have had two of them, one was on my 78 CJ7 for 10 years, the second was is on my 03 F250. I have used and abused it for 18 years and other than the outside being weathered it still works like new.
Ramsey has been around for a long time. They made heavy duty industrial
hydraulic and electrical winches

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired AMT
I have a warn on the Jeep and a Badland on my trailer. After one year of sitting on the trailer, the Badlands failed on me. Turned out to be corroded power cables. As I tried to cut the corroded ends off, I found the entire length of each cable full of powder and a green solid matter. I was able to replace all of the cables with a quality battery cable. It is still working after 5 years of weather.

No issue with the Warn winch, but it has only been 1 year.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I have a warn on the Jeep and a Badland on my trailer. After one year of sitting on the trailer, the Badlands failed on me. Turned out to be corroded power cables. As I tried to cut the corroded ends off, I found the entire length of each cable full of powder and a green solid matter. I was able to replace all of the cables with a quality battery cable. It is still working after 5 years of weather.

No issue with the Warn winch, but it has only been 1 year.
Moisture wicks into cables, and the finer the braid - the more smaller strands, the more it wicks. It will follow the copper clear up into the insulation.
Force an oxidation preventing substance like a no-ox product, dielectric grease, etc. into the wire end where it enters insulation. It'll help some.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Ramsey has been around for a long time. They made heavy duty industrial
hydraulic and electrical winches
I had a Ramsey Rep 8000 for over 25 years and on 3 different vehicles. I sold it with my JKU Never failed me. I went to warn Zeon this time - we’ll see how it does.
Jeep Gladiator Let's Talk Winches 887AE57F-1405-42D1-ABDB-68A56A471BE4
Sponsored