Sponsored

Long Range America secondary fuel tank installation!

FLACRACKER

First Name
Monte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Thanks for good read ! Although I would not need the extra tank myself, I remember when I was young our family would take long road camping trips. When traveling out west, it was nice to flip a lever to the other tank, not worrying about looking for the next gas station. I'm sure you will enjoy your extra tank ! Best Wishes!
Sponsored

Steven_B

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aroundthenw.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 WK2, 2001 XJ, 1993 YJ, 2021 JT EcoDiesel
Occupation
Digital Marketing Manager
I am curious how this goes. Every time I have dealt with a LR tank, the computer wasn't happy. To the point we stopped selling them.

If I remember right on the last two (FJ Cruiser and JK) it had something to with the the measured pressure or volume in the fuel tank system. The computer detected that something was off and lit up the dashboard. But that was several years and beers ago so they may have fond a fix for it.

With a 17 gallon diesel tank, I am curious to see if someone comes out with a solution for the ecodiesel gladiator.

marcwithac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Max Tow
This is cool. Thanks for sharing. Out of curiosity how much would the tank and fuel take out of payload capacity?

OP
OP
smlobx

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
This is cool. Thanks for sharing. Out of curiosity how much would the tank and fuel take out of payload capacity?
I’m going to estimate that the tank weighs about 50 pounds and gas is 6.2#/gal for total of 155 pounds. This assumes that you fill the tank which we would probably only rarely do but if we thought it would be nice to have an extra 10 gallons in there that’s what we would put in.

It’s similar to my thinking with the fresh water tank we’re installing. That tank will be 30 gallons but depending on our particular circumstances we may only want 10-20 gallons. If we plan to camp out on a beach in Southern Baja for a week or more then we’ll just fill it up so that we have enough...

Micky

First Name
Micky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlur
When you talked with LRA, did they mention any updates that would have made your install easier?

Sponsored

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
If you read the RSI thread, the support from them has been good. I believe there has been three reported damaged, and that was due to the delivery company. They are packed and shipped well, and make the trip over from Africa with no problem. It is the shipping companies inside the US that has been a problem for a few of them. The RSI is a new product with no built-up inventory or supply of service parts, yet, and repair and replacement will take a little time. I was one of the early orders, knew it would be this way, and mine is one of many that showed up with no issues.
I have read the RSI thread, a few times. I guess rather than a blanket statement of their lack of support, I should have been more specific about the damaged units with no inventory to repair them, the rubber gasket and tight fitting doors, and their inability to say how many units are on the way. My local shop said they understand a shipment was to be delivered to the US this month, but they have no way of knowing if they will receive any and when my topper will be here.

I think it is a great product, but with growing pains. The AluCab is not as attractive but is more tempting to me right now.

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
I’m going to estimate that the tank weighs about 50 pounds and gas is 6.2#/gal for total of 155 pounds. This assumes that you fill the tank which we would probably only rarely do but if we thought it would be nice to have an extra 10 gallons in there that’s what we would put in.

It’s similar to my thinking with the fresh water tank we’re installing. That tank will be 30 gallons but depending on our particular circumstances we may only want 10-20 gallons. If we plan to camp out on a beach in Southern Baja for a week or more then we’ll just fill it up so that we have enough...
Eddie, Eddie, Eddie...you are reading my mind. Clear out a bedroom and make room for a long term visitor. We have the Vulcan mind-meld going here, buddy. Will be following you closely.

OP
OP
smlobx

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Eddie, Eddie, Eddie...you are reading my mind. Clear out a bedroom and make room for a long term visitor. We have the Vulcan mind-meld going here, buddy. Will be following you closely.
HA! We have rooms since both sons have moved out...

on a more serious note, the truck is at the muffler shop and we’re having difficulty making sure that we don’t have a drone after taking out the huge stock muffler. Based on comments here from another member and what he did with his drone i’ve ordered a Vibrant ultra quiet resonator to go at the front of the new exhaust. The space will be tight which is why we ordered this one.
I’m going out of town for a week this weekend so it might be a while before I get it back/resolved.....

Last edited:

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
You might not have that much of a weight penalty after taking out some of the exhaust system!

OP
OP
smlobx

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
You might not have that much of a weight penalty after taking out some of the exhaust system!
‘the new exhaust will definitely be lighter!

Sponsored

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
What exactly is the purpose of an added tank? Yes,, obviously longer distances between stops, but how often do you need to stop for the bathroom? I can drive for four hours on a tank, I can not drive that long before I need to pee.

If you are wheeling in the wilderness for a few days then I can see the utility, but are you really doing that enough that a few rotopacks cannot achieve?

Serious question.
Don't you go off road ? like I mean for a week? Thats why I got the truck to begin with. I have a car for rest area potty stops along the highway. I like the idea of a big gas tank, or just having more gas to keep exploring, but I live in the Rocky MTN's.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm very impressed with this. Been watching the evolution of your JT since they hit the lot, and I appreciate your methodical upgrades to get you out, and further.

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Don't you go off road ? like I mean for a week? Thats why I got the truck to begin with. I have a car for rest area potty stops along the highway. I like the idea of a big gas tank, or just having more gas to keep exploring, but I live in the Rocky MTN's.
I live in South Carolina. I do not think there is anywhere in SC, NC, GA, or TN that you can drive that you will not come upon a gas station before you run out of gas. Even if you have to divert off the trail onto a paved road for ten or 20 miles, it would not make it worth it to have an extra tank.
People out west spending multiple days driving are different and I did not really think about that when I initially posted.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I live in South Carolina. I do not think there is anywhere in SC, NC, GA, or TN that you can drive that you will not come upon a gas station before you run out of gas. Even if you have to divert off the trail onto a paved road for ten or 20 miles, it would not make it worth it to have an extra tank.
People out west spending multiple days driving are different and I did not really think about that when I initially posted.
endless dirt roads in the rockies. Come check it out sometime, glad to show you around.

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
endless dirt roads in the rockies. Come check it out sometime, glad to show you around.
Thanks for the offer. We have out a few times for rock climbing and mountain biking over the years, this will be the first driving trip.
We are planning a trip to Telluride for this summer. There will be lots of offroad driving and mountain biking. We will be camping mostly but will probably grab an Airbnb for a few nights.
Sponsored