Sponsored

Looking at getting an impact wrench

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
The more I read and research the more I'm beginning to doubt if I really need a high torque impact wrench. I'm thinking maybe a good breaker bar and a decent 3/8 mid range impact wrench would do just fine. I don't live in the rust belt and after I finish with my suspension the most I might be doing is lug nuts and maybe a bumper. I can break lugs with the breaker bar and use the impact wrench for removing and installing the lugs. And that will save on chewing up the lug nuts.
Yup, I have a Bosch that advertises around 225 ft-lbs., and it takes off lugs without an issue. It definitely falls within the mid-range.
Sponsored

bk030

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon
Well even though I just entered into the Dewalt 20v ecosystem, I decided to pick this one up. Pretty good deal and they have a lifetime warranty on their power tools. And watched a few reviews and it seems to perform pretty well.

RIDGID 18V OCTANE Brushless Cordless 1/2 in. Impact Wrench Kit with (1) 4.0 Ah Battery and Charger
I have all Rigid power tools. They even used to warranty the batteries for life no questions asked. They changed their policy on the batteries over the last few years though. I've never had a problem with them, and the 1/2" impact has loosened things that my buddies Milwaukee couldn't. I do have a Milwaukee 3/8" wratchett wrench bc Rigid doesn't offer one. I've had no complaints with that either.

xraymankb

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Broach
Occupation
manufacturing
i use Bosch impact wrench. I work for Bosch so I get a great employee discount and have the same battery for all my tools. my current impact is rated at 740 ft/lbs and 1200 break strength. works great.

OP
OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
I have all Rigid power tools. They even used to warranty the batteries for life no questions asked. They changed their policy on the batteries over the last few years though. I've never had a problem with them, and the 1/2" impact has loosened things that my buddies Milwaukee couldn't. I do have a Milwaukee 3/8" wratchett wrench bc Rigid doesn't offer one. I've had no complaints with that either.
I watched a video where the one I posted broke away a rusted axle nut that hadn't been removed in at least ten years. For $159 with a battery and charger you can't beat it. Half the price of anything comparable by Dewalt.

Chance575

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C
Occupation
D
Electric is nice and all, but I have a air powered one that is 20 years old that work great. I used to be a installer of truck accessories lift kits etc and so it was used everyday.

where are your electric tools gonna be in 20 years? Electrics have their place, I take some to the racetrack, but I still say air first

Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Air sucks. Or blows, I guess. I got rid of all my air tools when I found that the battery tools were always my first choice, and downsized my compressor from the monster that ate up a huge space to a small wall-mount. I'm glad to have the space and $$$$ back.

My best friend runs a crew doing medium and heavy installation work, and with their own truck maintenance site. He recently noted that the compressor is almost never turned on at all any more because all the mechanics have gone to battery tools. I'm just glad I cashed out on all the air stuff on Craigslist before everyone figures out they are pointless.

Snowcavemike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Thinking about picking up an impact wrench for suspension work and tire removal. Don't really know much about them so I figured I'd rely on those more knowledgeable.

I just invested in a nice Dewalt cordless drill so I'd like to stay there so I don't have to buy different batteries. Unless of course I can get a steal on something else that will do the job.

What is the minimum torque and breakaway torque I need for lug nuts and suspension work??
I have a dewalt 1/2 impact wrench. love it. I use it for my motorhome too. no problem. when we overland, we use a Dewalt chainsaw, angle grinder and sawsall.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Air sucks. Or blows, I guess. I got rid of all my air tools when I found that the battery tools were always my first choice, and downsized my compressor from the monster that ate up a huge space to a small wall-mount. I'm glad to have the space and $$$$ back.

My best friend runs a crew doing medium and heavy installation work, and with their own truck maintenance site. He recently noted that the compressor is almost never turned on at all any more because all the mechanics have gone to battery tools. I'm just glad I cashed out on all the air stuff on Craigslist before everyone figures out they are pointless.
I realize this is an ancient thread brought back to life but I have a couple of small things to add "in my experience".
Beware of electric tools (sanders, grinders, etc.) under certain dust conditions in auto body work. Two things - flammable chemicals and dust - dust can get in the motor gunking things up.
That being said, my favorite DA is electric - Bosch.
Just something to think about.

Cordless electric vs. air impact in some of the work I do:
Some cordless impacts may be different but I have found that when it comes to removing the nuts that hold the alternator fan and pulley in place on some alternators, electrics can't do it because they go into "spin mode" with no impact action. An air impact is always using the hammering forces meaning I can actually hold things while an air impact will remove the nut - electric won't. So I have to keep my CP (from 1970s) on my bench when dealing with alternators.
The two types of impacts operate very differently. The air impact will loosen or tighten that nut with the alternator off the car and on my bench with me holding things either with a rag or screwdriver in the fan blades. My nice Milwaukee which I love just doesn't work for that. It senses the wobble factor of my holding it and wants to spin as if on a loose nut and won't go into impact drive mode.
So I still must have both.

For working on my JT - the Milwaukee is priceless. I had the nuts off the lower control arm bolts literally in seconds, maybe 2 minutes tops. The most amount of time was spent moving from one fastener to the next! I had it on switch setting 3 and it zipped those nuts off the bolts like it was nothing.
Then going back - again, setting 3, putting the bolts and nuts back in place - wrench on the nut, impact on the bolt I let it tighten until things almost stopped turning, then went to my torque wrench - the most I had to turn any of the bolts to get to 190 poud/ft was under 1/4 turn or 90 degrees.

A good friend and automotive restoration person led me to the Milwaukee Fuel bolt busting mega impact. He says he hardly ever uses a torch any more - if a bolt is tight the impact will either get it loose or break it. When doing suspension work he says it's cut his time spent on disassembly by half. I wondered how he was getting so much done the last couple of years.
The problem with that is that now he's sending me so much stuff to plate or restore I can't keep up.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My dad has a Milwaukee that he uses on his race car. It was well over $300.

I have a $100 Ryobi 18v that works fine for the limited needs I have. Mainly swapping snows on and off twice per year on 2 vehicles. Its never let me down and has more than enough power.

My dad forgot his Milwaukee at one race I was comng to watch and asked me to bring mine. He tried the Ryobi and said that while it wasn't as powerful as the Milwaukee it was pretty amazing for 1/3 the price of the Milwaukee.

I generally buy the best quality tools that I can afford. But when you consider the a replacement battery for the Milwaukee will cost more than the whole Ryobi tool including battery and charger, I went with good enough. I haven't regretted my decision.

Especially since I crack lugs loose with a breaker bar first to avoid beating up the nuts do final tightening with a torque wrench.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
I previously mentioned Torque Test Channel on YouTube.

Cordless pretty much dominates their rankings, and they're getting even more powerful.

The latest Makita 1/2" mid torque is pushing into high torque territory, and the XGT 3/4" is putting out 1" numbers.

Taking it out of the shop, this channel takes impacts out to the junkyard to see how they perform in some challenging circumstances.

https://m.youtube.com/user/singlecams

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My dad has a Milwaukee that he uses on his race car. It was well over $300.

I have a $100 Ryobi 18v that works fine for the limited needs I have. Mainly swapping snows on and off twice per year on 2 vehicles. Its never let me down and has more than enough power.

My dad forgot his Milwaukee at one race I was comng to watch and asked me to bring mine. He tried the Ryobi and said that while it wasn't as powerful as the Milwaukee it was pretty amazing for 1/3 the price of the Milwaukee.

I generally buy the best quality tools that I can afford. But when you consider the a replacement battery for the Milwaukee will cost more than the whole Ryobi tool including battery and charger, I went with good enough. I haven't regretted my decision.

Especially since I crack lugs loose with a breaker bar first to avoid beating up the nuts do final tightening with a torque wrench.
Depending on if he got a kit or the wrench with battery and charger, they can be had for less.

Considering I often work on stuff that's 30, 40, even 50 years old or older, with rust, I needed what was then the top torque. It blows any air impact I've used away - even getting into 3/4" impact torque ranges.

I don't use an impact on lug nuts........ off or on. If I did, I'd loosen the nuts first (which is what I do anyway) then use spin mode, otherwise, I can spin a lug nut off pretty fast with a speed handle once it's loose. Too many "mechanics" don't even know what that is.
I keep the bolt threads clean otherwise you can't get accurate torque.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
For Milwaukee, pay attention to Home Depot holiday sales. They frequently get paired with things like the 1/4" bit driver and other useful tools at huge discounts. I've bought 80% of my Milwaukee collection that way other than a few specialized tools and you'll end up with plenty of batteries and chargers that way too.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Depending on if he got a kit or the wrench with battery and charger, they can be had for less.

Considering I often work on stuff that's 30, 40, even 50 years old or older, with rust, I needed what was then the top torque. It blows any air impact I've used away - even getting into 3/4" impact torque ranges.

I don't use an impact on lug nuts........ off or on. If I did, I'd loosen the nuts first (which is what I do anyway) then use spin mode, otherwise, I can spin a lug nut off pretty fast with a speed handle once it's loose. Too many "mechanics" don't even know what that is.
I keep the bolt threads clean otherwise you can't get accurate torque.
My Ryobi has 3 torque settings. I typically use the lowest. Relying on a breaker bar to crack it loose and a torque wrench to tighten it up.

In fact I just bought 3 - 22mm sockets for the lug nuts on the Jeep. One for the Ryobi, one for the breaker bar and one for the torque wrench. Not having to swap drives makes things go faster.

Its funny when you mention speed handle. I have one that looks like an old ship builder's augur and another T handle in both 1/2 and 3/8. All are old back from the 70s US made Craftsmen.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
For Milwaukee, pay attention to Home Depot holiday sales. They frequently get paired with things like the 1/4" bit driver and other useful tools at huge discounts. I've bought 80% of my Milwaukee collection that way other than a few specialized tools and you'll end up with plenty of batteries and chargers that way too.
I also love the Milwaukee power grease gun I got. Uses the same batteries and makes greasing trailer wheels and other stuff a breeze. Nice long hose, plug the end on and pull the trigger. Great for really tight spots where you don't have room for the lever or trigger type grease gun. (and the light on it doesn't hurt, either)

I did get my Milwaukee impact on a holiday sale - with a coupon.

JeepTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bright White Willys.
+1 for milwaukee.

As some members have mentioned, I also find myself selling off some of my air tools and downsizing my air compressor.

Typically check offerup for single tool or battery purchase.

Homedepot for bundle deals then resell the stuff i don't want or need.
Sponsored