Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I have a craftsman air impact ( set of air tools ) and I contemplated getting a compressor or a cordless this round, dang cordless tools now a days are impressive. Wouldn’t have considered it 15yrs ago.
My Milwaukee (and I'm sure OTHERS) blows my Chicago Pneumatic top of the line in its day impact away. My CP can't even touch things the new cordless impact walk away with.
There's a place for the pneumatic, like when I'm installing the nuts on alternators - the Milwaukee detects no torque so it just spins while my pneumatic will hammer a nut on even if the shaft turns in my hand while holding it. Each has their place, but I'm finding my pneumatic will now likely last until I die I don't use it nearly as much.
Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
I bought for home based on what has worked best at work.

Hands down Milwaukee 2767-XX is head and shoulders above the rest. We beat impacts to death in the piping trade and the Milwaukee goes from job to job. The others are lucky to last a week of constant abuse.

Yes I know, you won't be using it all day every day. But when is that failure point exactly?

Last edited:

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
My Milwaukee (and I'm sure OTHERS) blows my Chicago Pneumatic top of the line in its day impact away. My CP can't even touch things the new cordless impact walk away with.
There's a place for the pneumatic, like when I'm installing the nuts on alternators - the Milwaukee detects no torque so it just spins while my pneumatic will hammer a nut on even if the shaft turns in my hand while holding it. Each has their place, but I'm finding my pneumatic will now likely last until I die I don't use it nearly as much.
Agreed a place and time for each, I still need a compressor (55 gal) for other stuff, that’ll be the next round of tool splurge lol. I haven’t found a battery spray gun lol ( for automotive ect) plus a few other air tools especially my sheet metal tools like river guns :)

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Milwaukee makes the best cordless power tools hands down.
I Iike Ryobi for the average DIYer.

Bucephalus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator/ 20 AMG GLB 35/ 02 Ranger/ 06 BMW M3
Occupation
Laboratory and Medical Supplies
This is what I have. Things a beast. It made my bumper swap in winch install much easier.

5D496978-5197-4502-94A0-40E77E69A8DB.jpeg
I have the same one..the whole XTR line is a great bang for your back. Kobalt, Milwaukee, or FLEX Flex is my favorite to be honest...I love German over engineering.

Sponsored

SFLJEEPER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 XJ, 2015 JK, 2015 JKU, 2021 JT
Bought an impact for suspension work a couple of months ago worked awesome dewalt cordless. However, personally I am not comfortable using an impact on lugs, cheater bar and loosen with tires on ground my .2 cents.

B384FF37-6EF7-4EBF-B26A-5D134CDEF229.jpeg

16D7A9FD-798B-4E15-B8E7-D82E516FC48C.jpeg
This is the same one I have had for around 5 years. I have abused it and it just never quits. Through several axle swaps and suspension changes on multiple Jeeps, it has never met a bolt/nut that it couldn't handle.

SnazzGlad

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Harbor Freight electric impact! Great buy if you don’t use it a lot. Think I paid 50 bucks for it. Prolly won’t use it again because I’d rather just pay the tire shop 20 bucks to swaps wheels. You all can tell I don’t do a lot of my own wrenching lol.

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
Because I'm lazy and don't want to research it myself...I have a 20v Dewalt Hex drive impact drill and use impact bit adapters for 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch. Insufficient compared to 1/2" drive drills or okay to use periodically?

JT614

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Overland '14 JGC Summit '04 TJ Rubi
Vehicle Showcase
Bought an impact for suspension work a couple of months ago worked awesome dewalt cordless. However, personally I am not comfortable using an impact on lugs, cheater bar and loosen with tires on ground my .2 cents.
I use and abuse this exact impact on anything and everything. It's a workhorse and handles most everything I use it for. The only struggle it had recently was removing a hub, but it was rust welded on for 17 years😉

Jaydebe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stacy'sMom aka: 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Renovations
Vehicle Showcase
I've owned a DeWalt 20V Max 3/4" Impact for a few years. It's amazing!
That said, DO NOT use setting 3 for lugs, I pulled threads on my 4Runner using it.
It'll letdown serious torque (I think 600 ft lbs) and breaking force is like 1200 ft lbs.

Sponsored

BrentMG

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Service Member
I have the Milwaukee M18 and it is definitely up for pretty much any job I give it.

OP
OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
This thread went a little sideways. Lol

Anyone have an answer to my original question? What's the minimum breakaway torque and driving torque I need to look for to do suspension work and tire swapping?

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I prefer Milwaukee. They have been around forever.
Screenshot_20210605-104800.png
This 1/2" high torque paired with a 3/8" latest gen (they're low profile) mid-torque and the 1/4" bit impact driver is the perfect trio for automotive. The 1/2" only comes out for big stuff like suspension but it makes it effortless.

I used to have the baddest-ass Ingersoll 1/2" air impact when I turned wrenches and it doesn't hold a candle to this Milwaukee... the new stuff is just miles above what I had 15 years ago and with 70% less tinnitus.

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Occupation
Steel plant
This thread went a little sideways. Lol

Anyone have an answer to my original question? What's the minimum breakaway torque and driving torque I need to look for to do suspension work and tire swapping?
definitely look for something in the 500-600ft lbs range. I have a few different sizes of electric impacts and my 250lbs one won’t break lugs loose. Great for other things because of its size but use my Milwaukee fuel for wheels and everything else that’s more open
Sponsored