First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
@Oscar Indy & @JP1 per our previous discussion I finally took time to manually measure my toe. With my 35’s and factory recommended toe setting of 20° (21° actually was the closest he could get mine) total toe I had done a few weeks ago, I am sitting at 1/8” toe-in which is what the majority seem to suggest/recommend. I’m not implying either of you were right or wrong I’m just sharing my measurements. I measured as close to center (hub) as possible and measured from the front and rear of the tire. Hope this helps other members
What do you mean measure at the hub?

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Centerline was where the wheel and hub meet but I measured front of wheel and back of wheel
I would take a little off of the 1/8th and see what it does. Jeeps tend to like it between 1/8th and 1/16th. Take a couple twists off of the toe and drive it for a bit and see how it goes.

Wizzard005

First Name
CnG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely helps here, sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing with the off-center steering wheel and drifting (not the good kind of drifting :)). Trying to line up an alignment and re-torque and see if that takes care of it.
Sucks hearing all of you guys out there dealing with this....

Sponsored

BlackDog

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR / 2005 Grand Cherokee
@BlackDog & @RickyR please update here once you have alignments.
I had the dealer do an alignment this morning. Steering wheel is closer to center, although not exact. Someone not as anal retentive as me probably wouldn't notice. Interestingly, after the alignment the printout shows my total toe is now 27°. After I got home I broke out the tape measure and it's at 1/8" (I was expecting less based on previous posts and 27°.) If I didn't mention previously, I'm on 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

In the 5 - 7 mile drive home, it doesn't pull to the right as much as it did and may still pull a small amount, but honestly I'll need to drive it more before I'm sure (so it's close.)

I also had them re-torque the steering components and while I wasn't having the drastic wheel-play issue that a few others have posted, the steering did feel tighter and more responsive.

JOKER8R

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR / GCM - 2016 KIA Optima
I had the dealer do an alignment this morning. Steering wheel is closer to center, although not exact. Someone not as anal retentive as me probably wouldn't notice. Interestingly, after the alignment the printout shows my total toe is now 27°. After I got home I broke out the tape measure and it's at 1/8" (I was expecting less based on previous posts and 27°.) If I didn't mention previously, I'm on 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

In the 5 - 7 mile drive home, it doesn't pull to the right as much as it did and may still pull a small amount, but honestly I'll need to drive it more before I'm sure (so it's close.)

I also had them re-torque the steering components and while I wasn't having the drastic wheel-play issue that a few others have posted, the steering did feel tighter and more responsive.
Good to hear you made progress, interesting that they didn’t do better on the toe.

RickyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Black , 2004 LJ D60's 39.5 IRoKs AMC 401 V-8
Took the jeep to 4 wd parts this morning, made sure they knew I was bringing my JT. Got there and they took it to the machine, about 10 minutes later the service mgr comes out to tell me they don't have the calibration numbers for the JT yet and added the 19' JL either. WTF?????? Could they not have said something when I made the appt? Does one hand no know what the other is doing? I had them straighten the wheel a little, since it was off by a C-nt hair ( typical redneck means of measurement ). While were were talking, I was also informed (from the service manager) that the flares on a rubicon were the same as the other models and the only difference is that mine are painted. I am not making this up. It's a real wonder who actually believes this sewer...
so back to the drawing board.

EDIT, forgot to add that he said that the steering issue was normal. Maybe 1/2 of us are crazy?

Last edited:

BlackDog

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR / 2005 Grand Cherokee
When I took mine into the dealer, they asked me how I was going to pay for the alignment since the jeep had been lifted. I had to educate them that it was stock and that's how Rubicons are built.

With this being a new vehicle I think we just have to get used to needing to explain a few things we wouldn't normally think of.

Punkin Luvin

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punkin Gladiator S, 2019 Bikini Rubi JL, 1969 Bronco, 1965 Vert Chevelle, 1968 Nova, 1964 Vert Falcon, 1971 Bronco, 1976 FJ40
Well 2 weeks in now with 2" daystar lift with replacement lower control arms. Aired tires back to 38lb. Drives so much better, just like I feel it should. Maybe not as sporty as the wife's JL rubi that corners like a sports car but I feel super confident with it now and no more white knuckles. I did not have an alignment done but with the extended lower arms it seems to have fixed the caster and put it in spec. I've built classic broncos for over 20 years and the way the gladiator drove mirrored the typical caster issue that broncos have when under 4* of caster. Pretty happy with the result.

Sponsored

Southbayglad

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator 2020
i test drove a rubi. felt good to me. had TJ's, and now a JK. Can't have your cake and eat it too. You either get an off road beast or a road truck. If i wanted a road truck, i'd get an f150 or a ranger.
Its totally different than "Jeep Driving". Had a tj, and jk myself. Its not what he's talking about. This is unregeular, and its the reason there was a recall and buy backs on the JL (simply research it), and Id be willing to bet there will be denial, denial, denial, and then a recall as well, just like with the JL.

MoparDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR manual /2023 ZLE manual /2018 Demon #1399
What percentage of JL/JT owners are having this issue??

10%?........40%?.......

I am taking delivery of my JT Rubicon around the end of this month...will be looking at this very closely.

RickyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What percentage of JL/JT owners are having this issue??

10%?........40%?.......

I am taking delivery of my JT Rubicon around the end of this month...will be looking at this very closely.
It's hard to say, but do yourself a favor. On the test ride get on the highway over 40-45 mph and just drive it, you should know the issue in about 2-3 miles, or if you can hook up a trailer and then you should know it in about 1 mile.
Mine steering sucks worse while pulling a trailer.

Scottdip

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition
Turning traction control off made a noticeable difference while towing.

RickyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I saw this on the F/B page and was wondering if this may be a band-aid or a true fix. Does the box/frame area flex? Is this what's happening? If it's this simple, I would buy and install it, but not sure I am completely in agreement with this situation. I did have a bracket on my CJ steering box because the frame was weak in that area, but surely this couldn't really be a problem in this day and time? Sure, maybe for a lifted vehicle this may be of use, but most of us who have the steering issues were/are bone stock.
What say ye ??????

Synergy Jeep JL/JT Front Track Bar and Sector Shaft Brace Product Feature Video
Sponsored