Loose Steering?

Scrubb84

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Let's just start out by saying I am very reluctantly posting this for obvious reasons. I am absolutely no expert. After FCA denied me on getting a new steering box and wouldn't give my dealer authorization to make an adjustment I took matters into my own hands. My steering is now fixed. I felt that I had read enough and consulted with enough people that in my case it was the right thing to do. My steering was never bad enough that I felt like I was putting my life or someone else's life in danger. It was just aggravating enough to where I hated driving it and was almost ready to sell it. Been driving Jeeps most of my life but this one sucked for one reason, the steering.
Please don't ask me how I fixed it there are enough threads on that. I will say that I had help from a friend that owns a shop next to where I work but that was mainly for moral support. I will say that the Allen screw is not aluminum, put a magnet on it. Also, at least on mine there was no loctite. The steering now has the slightest bit of play, maybe about an 1/8 of an inch. Probably a good sign it is not too tight. I am completely satisfied.
So I was lied to, sry about that. Great news for you tho!
Sponsored

Scrubb84

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Yeah you sure were. Appreciate it, hope everything works out for you.
Still glad I didnt try it myself like ive wanted to. Thinking about how mangled it was, maybe the tech took an air gun with an allen bit to it to cause the damage I saw. Lol

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Let's just start out by saying I am very reluctantly posting this for obvious reasons. I am absolutely no expert. After FCA denied me on getting a new steering box and wouldn't give my dealer authorization to make an adjustment I took matters into my own hands. My steering is now fixed. I felt that I had read enough and consulted with enough people that in my case it was the right thing to do. My steering was never bad enough that I felt like I was putting my life or someone else's life in danger. It was just aggravating enough to where I hated driving it and was almost ready to sell it. Been driving Jeeps most of my life but this one sucked for one reason, the steering.
Please don't ask me how I fixed it there are enough threads on that. I will say that I had help from a friend that owns a shop next to where I work but that was mainly for moral support. I will say that the Allen screw is not aluminum, put a magnet on it. Also, at least on mine there was no loctite. The steering now has the slightest bit of play, maybe about an 1/8 of an inch. Probably a good sign it is not too tight. I am completely satisfied.
Good for you! Does it also return to center properly as that is one of the tests of proper adjustment.

To others, do not assume this solves all problems. First eliminate every other cause until the only thing it could be is the steering box, then...well...the next step is yours.

Slalom

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Good for you! Does it also return to center properly as that is one of the tests of proper adjustment.

To others, do not assume this solves all problems. First eliminate every other cause until the only thing it could be is the steering box, then...well...the next step is yours.
I agree with your last statement completely, yes it returns to center and feels perfectly normal.

Sponsored

Hoss63

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU, 2016 Grand Cherokee, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Installed my new gear box I ordered from Mopar parts online (tired of dealer not wanting to do anything saying nothing wrong and wanting to charge me as I have a lift) made a big difference on the dead spot in steering, more enjoyable to drive.

Scrubb84

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Installed my new gear box I ordered from Mopar parts online (tired of dealer not wanting to do anything saying nothing wrong and wanting to charge me as I have a lift) made a big difference on the dead spot in steering, more enjoyable to drive.
Do you have the s/n of the new one or the garbage one?

Sponsored

The Acme Company

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE 2018 JLUR
Winner 1975 Plymouth troubleshooting contest. Set record never broken before the contest was later ended due to MOPAR money issues.
Ran own repair shop at age 16. I likely still have a copy of the newspaper article from that period.
Was able to get credit for, but never took, the HS auto classes because I helped teach and did special projects.
College trained, degree, automotive. 4.0 GPA, Dean's list.
Did suspension, steering and brake work to earn college money.
Offered job as service manager at Des Moines Jeep dealership- based solely on my reputation in the state as a top tech with a following, turned it down as I liked my current boss and he paid well.
Worked in shop for several years before moving and again, running my own repair shop working on heavy equipment, trucks, farm machinery.
Currently have my own shop doing classic car restoration. Operate/administer large auto-related forum, members (and friends) include people who worked in auto manufacturing. Have some of the test equipment in my shop that was used by AMC in the 1980s.

I'm hardly shade-tree or arm-chair - I've rebuilt and repaired more cars than most people you know. I started at age 14.
I have people sending me things from around the country to restore and repair. I was recently offered a job at a restoration shop in Phoenix but turned him down - not enough money......... and I'm doing fine.

Apparently you know little of how recalls work. Likely you won't see some of those as recalls, and if you do, like almost all auto makers have done over time - they'll come out in a year or three, like Jeep did with Grand Cherokee and some others, Ford did with their trucks a few years back - how about air bags, Toyota and their little issues..........

The welds ARE being investigated - READ. The feds are looking into it now and FCA says "we are fully cooperating with the investigation". It all started with customer AND repair shop complaints. Takes time. I posted a link to the article about the investigation - and it had pictures. I'd not be surprised if a recall comes from it.

My father was a proud UAW member and president of a UAW local for a while.

Hoss63

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU, 2016 Grand Cherokee, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
There all about the same. Core, shipping, tax and Mopar electric power steering fluid (around $18 a pint) was about $650.
Sorry, that is the correct part number
Sponsored