Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
When I brought my JLU home, it was a nightmare to steer. It was like being behind the wheel of a bass boat on a lake during a wind storm. Constant corrections required to maintain a straight line. Just terrible. That was in mid-April 2018.

In mid-June 2018 I had a software flash done to update the calibrations on the Jeep and when I left the dealership it was a brand new vehicle. Could steer with one hand. Felt normal! Has been handling fine ever since!

Unfortunately, during this time frame a lot of guys were getting impatient and were getting their dealers to start replacing hard parts. Steering linkages, steering boxes, etc. And that muddied the water and confused the entire situation. So now, there are 100 different opinions on what the "fix" really is.
Sponsored

cajun charlie

First Name
Cajun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
When I brought my JLU home, it was a nightmare to steer. It was like being behind the wheel of a bass boat on a lake during a wind storm. Constant corrections required to maintain a straight line. Just terrible. That was in mid-April 2018.

In mid-June 2018 I had a software flash done to update the calibrations on the Jeep and when I left the dealership it was a brand new vehicle. Could steer with one hand. Felt normal! Has been handling fine ever since!

Unfortunately, during this time frame a lot of guys were getting impatient and were getting their dealers to start replacing hard parts. Steering linkages, steering boxes, etc. And that muddied the water and confused the entire situation. So now, there are 100 different opinions on what the "fix" really is.
@WXman Did you get a notification from FCA that the software update was necessary?

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
@WXman Did you get a notification from FCA that the software update was necessary?
No, I was actually there for an airbag recall, but a part of the recall was to update the vehicle calibrations. So I ended up with a cured steering system without expecting it.

cajun charlie

First Name
Cajun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
No, I was actually there for an airbag recall, but a part of the recall was to update the vehicle calibrations. So I ended up with a cured steering system without expecting it.
Makes me wonder if that update would alleviate most of these loose steering issues

The Acme Company

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE 2018 JLUR
Most of the problems reported are from people who have never driven a Jeep, a straight axle vehicle or anything built before 1990.

Straight Axle vehicles with big tires chase the road so to speak. On a moderately windy day, something shaped like a box will get blown all over the road.

Someone coming from a Camry or Accord or premium sedans will not feel comfortable driving a Jeep.

The real problems are over inflated tires, steering stabilizer failure, and steering box calibration.

The tires have been overinflated at the factory. Dealers do not check this at delivery. I aired my JL down from 45 psi to 37 psi and it drove like a dream.

There is a TSB to flash the computer to fix power steering assist in cold weather. On a cold day, I would loose power steering boost. One flash fixed this issue.

Jeeps are not for everyone. If you are not a long time Jeeper, test drive one before you buy. If you can rent one, drive it for a week. Make sure it’s for you.

Sponsored

amadeuscc

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU Saharah, 2016 Renegade Trail Hawk
I found myself over correcting at first, took me a couple days compared to my jku, however now that I've put over 300 miles on it I do not notice the touchy steering.

BeepBeepIAmAJeep

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Hard Rock Bright White and soon™ 2020 Gladiator LE Bright White
The tires have been overinflated at the factory. Dealers do not check this at delivery. I aired my JL down from 45 psi to 37 psi and it drove like a dream.
The high inflation numbers may be for the gradual improvement on fuel economies by automakers. While there are diminishing returns, typicaly a 1 psi increase in tire pressure CAN result in 3-10% fuel economy improvement. My JK is slightly over inflated at the moment, since I havent deflated them from the cold season, and they are sitting at about 41 psi cold. My current "city" mpg is sitting between 21 and 22 MPG based on pump calculations (granted I am also a feather foot and its a manual with all my off road goodies removed in preparation for putting them on my JT when I get it). And I say "city" because I live in a small town than more of a city, so while I have stop signs and stop lights, I dont have nearly as much idle time as say when I lived in southern california or big cities on the east coast.

WNCJEEP

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Granite Crystal Launch Edition Rubicon Gladiator; 2014 JKU Rubicon; 1981 CJ7 Laredo
I'm coming from a JKU Rubicon to the JT Rubicon. Overall, the ride difference is night and day. So good, I may actually use my Gladiator as more of a daily driver. That being said, over 65mph it's like driving one of those cars at Disney World Tomorrowland Speedway where you turn and it seems like a delayed response then you hit the rail and suddenly start coming back the other direction. I'm exaggerating, but that's the general sense of it especially at 80 plus. I eventually got the hang of it and love it for my daily driving around town. I'll try the air down "fix" for now and take the gas mileage hit.

UPDATE: I've been meaning to update this. I feel bad about this old post now . . . after airing down to 37 lbs it drives like a dream!

Last edited:

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
I'm coming from a JKU Rubicon to the JT Rubicon. Overall, the ride difference is night and day. So good, I may actually use my Gladiator as more of a daily driver. That being said, over 65mph it's like driving one of those cars at Disney World Tomorrowland Speedway where you turn and it seems like a delayed response then you hit the rail and suddenly start coming back the other direction. I'm exaggerating, but that's the general sense of it especially at 80 plus. I eventually got the hang of it and love it for my daily driving around town. I'll try the air down "fix" for now and take the gas mileage hit.
Air down, be happy. When I picked up our JLR tires were 44 psi. from the dealer. Like riding on metal roller skates and handled like them too. Now, at 36 psi, rides smooth and doesn’t grab road imperfections at all.

The Acme Company

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE 2018 JLUR
Keep in mind the JL/JT went to electric power steering. This is a totally different feel than the hydraulic steering pump on the JK. Electric Power steering has a numb feel. It’s easy to overcorrect the wheel.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Vismich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Most of the problems reported are from people who have never driven a Jeep, a straight axle vehicle or anything built before 1990.

Straight Axle vehicles with big tires chase the road so to speak. On a moderately windy day, something shaped like a box will get blown all over the road.

Someone coming from a Camry or Accord or premium sedans will not feel comfortable driving a Jeep.

The real problems are over inflated tires, steering stabilizer failure, and steering box calibration.

There is a TSB to flash the computer to fix power steering assist in cold weather. On a cold day, I would loose power steering boost. One flash fixed this issue.

Jeeps are not for everyone. If you are not a long time Jeeper, test drive one before you buy. If you can rent one, drive it for a week. Make sure it’s for you.
I’ve had Wranglers for 10 + year.... this is nothing to do with the axel. I’ve taken the JT to two dealers and both said the JL has this issue, and they said unfortunately I’ll just have to get used to it.

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant
I’ve had Wranglers for 10 + year.... this is nothing to do with the axel. I’ve taken the JT to two dealers and both said the JL has this issue, and they said unfortunately I’ll just have to get used to it.
That's not an acceptable answer. If you haven't done so already, refer to the threads related to this known problem on the JL Wrangler forum.
I'm assuming you've done the obvious like checked your front end alignment and ball joints and tire pressure, etc.?

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2014 Durango, 2020 Ibis Ripley
Vehicle Showcase
over 65mph it's like driving one of those cars at Disney World Tomorrowland Speedway where you turn and it seems like a delayed response then you hit the rail and suddenly start coming back the other direction.
LOL ... I hate trying to drive those things!

While it was an exaggeration for a JL/JT, not too far off if the road is all patched up on a windy day with PSI too high.

My steering is just a little loose in my JL, but I've adjusted and don't even realize it anymore.

My 18yr old daughter drove for a bit on the highway for the first time recently ... FREAKED out! She never left our lane, but was doing a lot of white knuckled corrections. Yes, PSI is a bit high for fuel economy, it was windy, and the Michigan highway had patches everywhere. I should've said, "Welcome to Disney, sweetheart!"

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

I had a thought... much like the dealer can technically adjust wheel calibrations, and that's now available in programmers... I wonder if a programmer, like the TazerJL could have access to the steering parameters...?
It'd be interesting.

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
Also, the people who have installed the steering stabilizer seem to love it. The Teraflex Nexus EF 2.2 steering stabilizer is in my shopping cart and I'll be installing that. But, looks like the dealers are setting the PSI a bit high on these stock tires...
Sponsored