Loose Steering?

Scrubb84

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Hard to imagine that if it's worse (and I am NOT doubting you) that they can't see or feel it. I mean - mine is not loose. A tad wander at times, depending on road, but no real play in the steering. You move it, it responds.
Makes one wonder if they even truly drive these with an open mind.
They do agree with me. They said we are gonna talk about it in the morning. I had to go back anyways. But what are they gonna do, play musical steering box deliveries until a good one comes in?
Sponsored

Keller

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
So I did a little experiment today.

Started Jeep.

Turned on the front camera with the TrailCam tire overlays.

Stood outside of drivers door and could see trail camera on the display and could also see the wheels from outside.

Turned the steering through the loose play areas which is about 1 inch left and right from center. Trail Cam shows the wheel track direction move but the wheels do not move in relation to what is being displayed, in fact, they do not hardly move at all but maybe by a 1/4 inch

What this tells me is that sensors and mechanics do not report that same.

So, I have mechanical play in the steering box or steering components vs. sensor inputs.

Question, where is steering angle calculated from for the TrailCam?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
They do agree with me. They said we are gonna talk about it in the morning. I had to go back anyways. But what are they gonna do, play musical steering box deliveries until a good one comes in?
GOOD! I'm glad they agree. That's a HUGE HUGE step!
Good luck, honest, I'm pulling for ya. Once you have this sorted out I swear you'll love a JT.

Slalom

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
It seems like all they would have to do is put a crescent wrench on the input shaft before installing it and they would immediately know if it has too much play in it. Why waste time installing it if it's has slop. I would say I was surprised to hear that your new steering box was bad but I am really not. I have said this before go to a dealer that has several Glads in stock and get them to open several of them up. Don't even crank them just move the steering wheel back and forth and you will quickly know which one you would buy if you had a mulligan. About 1 in 5 will have slop. Quality control at its best.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
The dealer has nothing to do with you application for a refund. In fact, dealers are the reason lemon laws exist. If you are in NY as your profile says, review this form and the process for submitting it.

https://ag.ny.gov/sites/default/files/new-car-lemon-law.pdf

This is one of the ways to get FCAs attention. More people need to do this to expedite a response/solution.

Sponsored

Scrubb84

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
S/N? Looking at the #’s on the white/black sticker on the steering box I noticed a difference that may indicate a batch #. Maybe I’m just losing my mind. T3P1889A1220 = off the train. T3P1889A1240 = even worse installed today. If that # means nothing, my bad.

Slalom

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
S/N? Looking at the #’s on the white/black sticker on the steering box I noticed a difference that may indicate a batch #. Maybe I’m just losing my mind. T3P1889A1220 = off the train. T3P1889A1240 = even worse installed today. If that # means nothing, my bad.
Dang, that is crazy how close those are.

techteacher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT '20 White Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I had high hopes for my dealership that they could get this thing dialed in. Round 1 of new drag link components and generally torquing down things got it about 75% there. Took it back in today and got the call that the dead space was, 'to be expected when lifted (it's not lifted) with bigger tires (35 KO2s)'. Ugh.

I asked them to specifically look into the steering box and that the issue lied between the steering wheel and the pitman arm. They said they would get back to me. Fingers crossed.

Gladius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A jeep parts manager told me the JL and JT have different steering boxes.

The Acme Company

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE 2018 JLUR
Welcome to Fantasy Island.

the alignment was fine when it left the factory. There are multi million dollar alignment machines on the assembly line. The alignment may be affected in transit when the vehicle is chained down to the bump stops on the rail car and again on the transport truck. That is not a factory issue.

stop spreading hearsay about things you know nothing about.

defective steering boxes—BS from 2018

geniuses telling people to adjust a new steering box—tighten the screw too much and the steering will not automatically return to center. Wreck it after you wrenched on it and see where the liability falls.

Where are the recalls for steering, brakes, welds and all other malady’s? There are none!

Where is the recall for stripped bolts?

where is the recall for mis-torqued fasteners?

where is the recall for front end mis-alignment?

I love the Cry Wolf from arm chair quarterbacks and shade tree mechanics that have zero knowledge of the assembly process and plant quality control.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to Fantasy Island.

the alignment was fine when it left the factory. There are multi million dollar alignment machines on the assembly line. The alignment may be affected in transit when the vehicle is chained down to the bump stops on the rail car and again on the transport truck. That is not a factory issue.

stop spreading hearsay about things you know nothing about.

defective steering boxes—BS from 2018

geniuses telling people to adjust a new steering box—tighten the screw too much and the steering will not automatically return to center. Wreck it after you wrenched on it and see where the liability falls.

Where are the recalls for steering, brakes, welds and all other malady’s? There are none!

Where is the recall for stripped bolts?

where is the recall for mis-torqued fasteners?

where is the recall for front end mis-alignment?

I love the Cry Wolf from arm chair quarterbacks and shade tree mechanics that have zero knowledge of the assembly process and plant quality control.
Winner 1975 Plymouth troubleshooting contest. Set record never broken before the contest was later ended due to MOPAR money issues.
Ran own repair shop at age 16. I likely still have a copy of the newspaper article from that period.
Was able to get credit for, but never took, the HS auto classes because I helped teach and did special projects.
College trained, degree, automotive. 4.0 GPA, Dean's list.
Did suspension, steering and brake work to earn college money.
Offered job as service manager at Des Moines Jeep dealership- based solely on my reputation in the state as a top tech with a following, turned it down as I liked my current boss and he paid well.
Worked in shop for several years before moving and again, running my own repair shop working on heavy equipment, trucks, farm machinery.
Currently have my own shop doing classic car restoration. Operate/administer large auto-related forum, members (and friends) include people who worked in auto manufacturing. Have some of the test equipment in my shop that was used by AMC in the 1980s.

I'm hardly shade-tree or arm-chair - I've rebuilt and repaired more cars than most people you know. I started at age 14.
I have people sending me things from around the country to restore and repair. I was recently offered a job at a restoration shop in Phoenix but turned him down - not enough money......... and I'm doing fine.

Apparently you know little of how recalls work. Likely you won't see some of those as recalls, and if you do, like almost all auto makers have done over time - they'll come out in a year or three, like Jeep did with Grand Cherokee and some others, Ford did with their trucks a few years back - how about air bags, Toyota and their little issues..........

The welds ARE being investigated - READ. The feds are looking into it now and FCA says "we are fully cooperating with the investigation". It all started with customer AND repair shop complaints. Takes time. I posted a link to the article about the investigation - and it had pictures. I'd not be surprised if a recall comes from it.

My father was a proud UAW member and president of a UAW local for a while.

Slalom

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I brought my Gladiator to the dealer on Tuesday for a Jeep Rep. who was coming by there to take a look at it since the dealer didn't know how resolve the issue. I just got a call from the Service Manager and he said that the Rep told him that Jeep is aware of the issue but don't have a fix for it yet. So the S.M. said there is nothing they can do. I asked him if there was any kind of flash update that would resolve this issue and he said "oh no this is purely mechanical in the steering box". He also said that really the only thing that would fix it is if they gave him authorization to change out the steering box or put a 1/4 of a turn on it to tighten it up. I asked why is it such an issue to do the adjustment and he said he doesn't know for sure but thinks it is a legality issue since they don't have the proper tools like the factory to calibrate it precisely. So I guess my next step is to call Jeep Cares again and escalate it and beg for a new S.B..

Last edited:

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
@The Acme Company I suppose this guy is another full of shite idiot to you? He's making up his issue, that Jeep is aware of the issue and they don't have a fix, yet? Perhaps Fantasy Island is where you are living.

I brought my Gladiator to the dealer on Tuesday for a Jeep Rep. who was coming by there to take a look at it since the dealer didn't know how resolve the issue. I just got a call from the Service Manager and he said that the Rep told him that Jeep is aware of the issue but don't have a fix for it yet. So the S.M. said there is nothing they can do. I asked him if there was any kind of flash update that would resolve this issue and he said "oh no this is purely mechanical in the steering box". He also said that really the only thing that would fix it is if they gave him authorization to change out the steering box or put a 1/4 of a turn on it to tighten it up. I asked why is it such an issue to do the adjustment and he said he doesn't know for sure but thinks it is a legality issue since they don't have the proper tools like the factory to calibrate it precisely. So I guess my next step is to either call Jeep Cares again and escalate it and beg for a new S.B.. Other option is to get out a wrench and do it myself.

Rollcast

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I brought my Gladiator to the dealer on Tuesday for a Jeep Rep. who was coming by there to take a look at it since the dealer didn't know how resolve the issue. I just got a call from the Service Manager and he said that the Rep told him that Jeep is aware of the issue but don't have a fix for it yet. So the S.M. said there is nothing they can do. I asked him if there was any kind of flash update that would resolve this issue and he said "oh no this is purely mechanical in the steering box". He also said that really the only thing that would fix it is if they gave him authorization to change out the steering box or put a 1/4 of a turn on it to tighten it up. I asked why is it such an issue to do the adjustment and he said he doesn't know for sure but thinks it is a legality issue since they don't have the proper tools like the factory to calibrate it precisely. So I guess my next step is to either call Jeep Cares again and escalate it and beg for a new S.B.. Other option is to get out a wrench and do it myself.
"...don't have the proper tools like the factory to calibrate it precisely..."

Lolololol...seriously? Obviously the factory isn't calibrating anything precisely or this wouldn't be an issue.

Slalom

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
"...don't have the proper tools like the factory to calibrate it precisely..."

Lolololol...seriously? Obviously the factory isn't calibrating anything precisely or this wouldn't be an issue.
Yes my thoughts exactly. There is nothing precise about it and they are all over the board as far as how they are being calibrated at the factory.
Sponsored