First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 1971 Jeep Cj5
Occupation
Product Development Engineer
Right at 7000 miles on my MT Overland. Transmission works fine.
Sponsored

Mojave Gladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave | Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Little over 2K miles and lots of towing on steep hills and curves. I’ve experienced no issues so far; however, I initially thought something was going on with the clutch until I noticed what was going on. When the clutch is pressed to the floor the RPM’s would slightly rise in between shifts, allowing unspent fuel to be burnt (thanks EPA)!

GrubbyBaja

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR, 6-speed
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
12,500 miles and no issues. I really enjoy the smooth shifting feel of this trans more than my previously owned 2006 Subaru Baja Turbo 5-speed (138,000 miles when sold). The synchro's seem to mesh better. My JTR shifts almost as smoothly as my 2000 Nissan Frontier XT 5-speed with 210,000 miles although the clutch on the Nissan grabs a bit upon engagement :) .

OP
OP
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
No problems with mine in 47k miles. Yours is the only one I've heard of with this issue. Hopefully they'll get it replaced again for you and you'll be on your way. With the exact same failure, though, I'd be skeptical if they actually replaced it. But crazy stuff happens, so maybe they did.

I run mine HARD and tow a fishing boat frequently. Lots of off-roading, too. Again, no issues. Not one.
You know what??!! I really did want to go there. I am taking it to a different dealership, is there a way they can check and see if it’s the original transmission? Like is the vin number on it somewhere? If that’s the case I’ll be pissed and relieved at the same time.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
You know what??!! I really did want to go there. I am taking it to a different dealership, is there a way they can check and see if it’s the original transmission? Like is the vin number on it somewhere? If that’s the case I’ll be pissed and relieved at the same time.
Not sure. I'd imagine it would have a serial number. One thing you could do is put a drop of nail polish or paint somwhere on it and see if it is still there when you get it back. But it sounds like they already have it.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I'd like to know what actually went out? Does the shifter go there but there's no gear? Synchronizers? Is the shifter not going there? There's a lot of things that could be happening but so far "lost 2nd gear" isn't real descriptive of the actual problem.
Does it engage into 2nd but not move? Does it not want to go into 2nd at all? Does it grind when you try?

OP
OP
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8000 miles on mine and no tranny problems. Haven't heard Of very many problems with the manual transmission itself. What tires and gear ratio? What kind of driving are you doing? Big loads? I don't know seems strange the same thing happened twice, hopefully this is the last time, I'm bet it will be.

OP
OP
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK, I slid under the Jeep and looked at the transmission, the bolts do look like they have been turned. I did mark it anyway. I put some photo on this post. What do you all think??

IMG_4148.JPEG

IMG_4149.JPEG

IMG_4150.JPEG

IMG_4152.JPEG

mojocho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Nearly 30k miles on mine and no issues so far. I'm really not that good of a driver either...

Good luck though. Let us know how it turns out.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
OK, I slid under the Jeep and looked at the transmission, the bolts do look like they have been turned. I did mark it anyway. I put some photo on this post. What do you all think??

Jeep Gladiator Lost Second Gear Again!! IMG_4152.JPEG

What happens if you hold it in 2nd gear?
Popping out of gear like that could be a bent shaft, bad synchro, bad bearings…
You get the idea.
When you take off from a stop, what gear do you usually use?

Kevin

Sponsored

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
Coming up on 12k miles with no issues either clutch or transmission. I may be the only person in the world to like the clutch because it engages at the same point as my other car and I'm used to a low and grabby engagement

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I've done my share of transmission work. Generally, popping out of gear means it's not going in far enough to fully engage. The synchronizers if bad will grind or not let it go into gear. Sometimes the keys slip out of position and you think it's in but the collar it's fully engaged and locked in and it can pop back out, but that's also generally a bad shifter issue.

You push in the synchro, it is shoved against the hardened cone shape that's on the gear you are choosing to mesh with and the bronze synchro ring either slows or speeds the selected gear to match speed of the other shaft, then the teeth are tapered at the leading edge to allow it to slip into gear.
So it's not actually going fulling engaged - typically a shifter issue, or an interlock issue.
My T5 would not fully disengage one gear before the shifter would go into the other gate and engage the target gear. I ended up in two at once a couple of times. The result - disaster.
I wonder if they are replacing just certain parts - say the transmission itself, but not the shifting mechanism - these i've not had apart so not sure what's included in a replacement transmission. Years ago, you got the transmission only, not the shifter itself, that was ordered and installed as another part onto/into the transmission.

The weak spot in a lot of modern transmissions is actually the shifter itself - cheaply made, has to be light, etc.

You can just see the bronze synchronizer ring here and the tapered teeth on 5th gear. If the shifter doesn't slide the collar fully onto 5th, it could pop back out of gear - in this case the cause was shifter parts.

The rear thrust bearing eventually exploded and let the gear slide back preventing it from coming fully out of 5th but allowing a downshift into another gear.
Jeep Gladiator Lost Second Gear Again!! sx4-transmission-015

Jeep Gladiator Lost Second Gear Again!! sx4-transmission-023

OP
OP
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What happens if you hold it in 2nd gear?
Popping out of gear like that could be a bent shaft, bad synchro, bad bearings…
You get the idea.
When you take off from a stop, what gear do you usually use?

Kevin
I start in 1st, it will only stay in 2nd when it under load or I have to downshift.

OP
OP
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've done my share of transmission work. Generally, popping out of gear means it's not going in far enough to fully engage. The synchronizers if bad will grind or not let it go into gear. Sometimes the keys slip out of position and you think it's in but the collar it's fully engaged and locked in and it can pop back out, but that's also generally a bad shifter issue.

You push in the synchro, it is shoved against the hardened cone shape that's on the gear you are choosing to mesh with and the bronze synchro ring either slows or speeds the selected gear to match speed of the other shaft, then the teeth are tapered at the leading edge to allow it to slip into gear.
So it's not actually going fulling engaged - typically a shifter issue, or an interlock issue.
My T5 would not fully disengage one gear before the shifter would go into the other gate and engage the target gear. I ended up in two at once a couple of times. The result - disaster.
I wonder if they are replacing just certain parts - say the transmission itself, but not the shifting mechanism - these i've not had apart so not sure what's included in a replacement transmission. Years ago, you got the transmission only, not the shifter itself, that was ordered and installed as another part onto/into the transmission.

The weak spot in a lot of modern transmissions is actually the shifter itself - cheaply made, has to be light, etc.

You can just see the bronze synchronizer ring here and the tapered teeth on 5th gear. If the shifter doesn't slide the collar fully onto 5th, it could pop back out of gear - in this case the cause was shifter parts.

The rear thrust bearing eventually exploded and let the gear slide back preventing it from coming fully out of 5th but allowing a downshift into another gear.

The shifter mechanism was the first thing they swapped out the first time it happened. That was not it. Then they said they replaced the trans but it really never felt right. I will post all the vague paperwork a little later so you can see what I am dealing with. Thank for the awesome reply!!!

4xjeepr

First Name
DON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Sport, 06 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 95 Wrangler Rio Grande
2020 Sport S MT with 13,500 to date. No issues to date.
Sponsored