Sponsored

Lost Second Gear Again!!

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Hey all, Has anyone else have any problems with their manual transmission?? I lost 2nd gear at 3521 miles. The dealership would not tell me what was wrong with the trans, they just replaced it and told me that a team from Auburn Hills came and picked it up. Now I have 9800 miles on it and the same EXACT! thing is happening again!!! It will NOT stay in second gear!! I will be dropping it off at the dealership on Monday the 7th of June 2021. It's going to be the same thing again. They will have to replace the trans AGAIN!!!! This will be the 3rd transmission in less then 10000 miles. This is the first time I have owned a Jeep, but now I am having serious doubts about the Jeep brand. I probably should have stuck to the Ram.
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
There's nothing wrong with the Jeep brand, it's the light duty MT they put in it.

Should've got an automatic.
;)

There are always some failures to be expected. There's not been many reported here. It is quite unusual to have more than one in the same vehicle.

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
8000 miles on mine and no tranny problems. Haven't heard Of very many problems with the manual transmission itself. What tires and gear ratio? What kind of driving are you doing? Big loads? I don't know seems strange the same thing happened twice, hopefully this is the last time, I'm bet it will be.

Sponsored

Choatecav

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales
I have not had any problems with my MT. I have about 1200 miles on it.
These stories do shake my confidence a bit.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
3513 miles so far. But no issues yet. I'd heard of the weak clutch which was "fixed" with software before I took delivery, but this is the first I've heard of the actual transmission failing. Check on the JL Wrangler side and see if it's a widespread issue.

Last edited:

ARCH3R

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Tahoe, 2021 JT Overland (ordered 4/1/2021)
Occupation
Logistics Coordinator
I got my MT Overland just shy of 2 weeks ago. I have had a bit of clunking coming out of 1st gear most of the time since 50 miles. I am at 1400 miles now and still hear it. Getting it looked at this Friday from where I purchased it.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
There's nothing wrong with the Jeep brand, it's the light duty MT they put in it.
I’m-a have to disagree there. There is plenty wrong with the Jeep brand- from the bean counters forcing bad engineering solutions, the horrendous service at some dealers, to the obscene option pricing.
the trans is a version of the same unit in the Hilux and Tacoma. It’s as solid as any other Aisin trans.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
Hey all, Has anyone else have any problems with their manual transmission?? I lost 2nd gear at 3521 miles. The dealership would not tell me what was wrong with the trans, they just replaced it and told me that a team from Auburn Hills came and picked it up. Now I have 9800 miles on it and the same EXACT! thing is happening again!!! It will NOT stay in second gear!! I will be dropping it off at the dealership on Monday the 7th of June 2021. It's going to be the same thing again. They will have to replace the trans AGAIN!!!! This will be the 3rd transmission in less then 10000 miles. This is the first time I have owned a Jeep, but now I am having serious doubts about the Jeep brand. I probably should have stuck to the Ram.
No problems with mine in 47k miles. Yours is the only one I've heard of with this issue. Hopefully they'll get it replaced again for you and you'll be on your way. With the exact same failure, though, I'd be skeptical if they actually replaced it. But crazy stuff happens, so maybe they did.

I run mine HARD and tow a fishing boat frequently. Lots of off-roading, too. Again, no issues. Not one.

Sponsored

sdtkeld

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave Sarge Green
Occupation
Grocery bagger
It could be a tolerance problem elsewhere in the drivetrain that is causing the problems. Replacing the transmission over and over and over again may not be the solution.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
It could be a tolerance problem elsewhere in the drivetrain that is causing the problems. Replacing the transmission over and over and over again may not be the solution.
Yes if it's happened twice, it's gotta be caused by something else (maybe a broken motor or transmission mount causing too much motion)? I've honestly never seen too many manual transmissions themselves break before. I've never worried or even thought about anything but the clutch before in all my years of driving manuals of all makes.

Last edited:

Chocolyle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR Sarge Green MT
Occupation
Technical Sales / Security
Only issue with my 21 M/T Rubi is 3rd gear. Sometimes I need to jam it pretty hard. Very random when it happens. All others no issues. Only have 1800 miles so far. Clutch catch has worked it self out and is much smoother/higher now.