Manual Trans odd observation.

dakota.morgan91

First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(ordered) 2021 Gladiator Willys
ok, so bear with me this may be in the wrong place on the forum, and it is gonna sound odd.
I have owned many manual transmission vehicles in my life (atleast 5), and one thing I have observed is that when the RPMS are lower and I get on the throttle, it does not feel like the truck is actually applying the throttle. In any of my past vehcles if the RPMs were low (less than 2k) the engine would shutter but it would grudgingly accelerate lol.
on the other hand, with my truck, it is smooth as butter at ANY RPM, but will start losing speed and RPM's on an incline. I also observed during any of those moments if I varied the pedal between 65-ish % depression and 100% depression, it made no discernable differences in the rate of de-acceleration. It is like they programmed it to protect itself.
Anyone else experience this?
Sponsored

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
ok, so bear with me this may be in the wrong place on the forum, and it is gonna sound odd.
I have owned many manual transmission vehicles in my life (atleast 5), and one thing I have observed is that when the RPMS are lower and I get on the throttle, it does not feel like the truck is actually applying the throttle. In any of my past vehcles if the RPMs were low (less than 2k) the engine would shutter but it would grudgingly accelerate lol.
on the other hand, with my truck, it is smooth as butter at ANY RPM, but will start losing speed and RPM's on an incline. I also observed during any of those moments if I varied the pedal between 65-ish % depression and 100% depression, it made no discernable differences in the rate of de-acceleration. It is like they programmed it to protect itself.
Anyone else experience this?
Have your clutch checked.

Mine did the same thing ever since I got it in Nov 2020. I never had the dealership check the clutch. If you read the thread below, you will see that once I replaced my clutch, there was a noticeable difference in applied power.

Get it checked soon. I took a couple 50mile highway runs, and when I would come off the highway you could smell the clutch! I don't believe my clutch was ever fully engaged.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...force-dual-friction-clutch.42649/#post-692821

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
There's not a lot of torque on tap with this engine below 2000 rpm. If you want to accelerate up a hill or with a load, you need to downshift.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Not sure what your previous manuals were, but what you’re describing is pretty normal. Our JK and civic do the same thing. Basically, the ECU knows that applying more throttle at the given RPM would result in shudder or even knocking, so it doesn’t allow more load (intake volume/throttle opening/throttle) once you drop a gear, your perceived throttle response should be more normal.

OP
OP
dakota.morgan91

dakota.morgan91

First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure what your previous manuals were, but what you’re describing is pretty normal. Our JK and civic do the same thing. Basically, the ECU knows that applying more throttle at the given RPM would result in shudder or even knocking, so it doesn’t allow more load (intake volume/throttle opening/throttle) once you drop a gear, your perceived throttle response should be more normal.
They were older, like 2005 and previous. What your saying makes absolute sense! I personally think the programing is too aggressive but I guess it will pay off when I have 200k plus miles with no issues lol

Sponsored

OP
OP
dakota.morgan91

dakota.morgan91

First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have your clutch checked.

Mine did the same thing ever since I got it in Nov 2020. I never had the dealership check the clutch. If you read the thread below, you will see that once I replaced my clutch, there was a noticeable difference in applied power.

Get it checked soon. I took a couple 50mile highway runs, and when I would come off the highway you could smell the clutch! I don't believe my clutch was ever fully engaged.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...force-dual-friction-clutch.42649/#post-692821
I plan to replace it with the centerforce regardless! :)

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
I plan to replace it with the centerforce regardless! :)
Then you really need to read that post. I replaced mine and it got ugly. Per Centerforce, they don't have a clutch to fit 2021 Gladiators.

I had to have mine custom machined to get it to fit!
Sponsored