Sponsored

Manual Transmission Club

chrcal14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
So my Overland was just delivered on Wednesday evening, I've only put about ~30 miles on it so far, but I thought I'd chime in with my quick first impressions of the transmission. For context, I'm coming from an 2013 Miata that I daily-drove for the past six years. Basically I mostly just agree with what a lot of other folks have already said... 1st is short but it was super short on my Miata too so that's not a problem for me. 2nd is suuuper tall, it took me a couple trips to get used to it, just need to remember to hold on to 2nd a lot longer than I would in the tiny car heh. I spend most of my time in 3rd or 4th, and 4th was good up to ~50 and still staying fairly low on the tach. I haven't done much highway yet, 5th seems fine for an overdrive but I doubt I'll ever use 6th unless I'm going 80+.

I agree with the idea that having 2nd be a little shorter, and having less huge of a spread between 2-3-4 would have been a lot nicer than a 2nd overdrive gear I'll probably never use... but all that said, it's still a good drive, and I don't regret going manual for this one at all. The clutch is great, the shifts are easy and smooth, drives good. It's no Miata but who would expect that? I'm actually surprised at how good it is, I was expecting a lot worse based on what some folks have been saying.

If I had to have one actual complaint, it'd probably be how the reverse lockout ring works -- I keep grabbing it when I don't intend to, I'll need to break that habit. I'd have preferred some other kind of lockout for reverse than that, but no issues with it yet.
Good report.

That lockout ring caused me some grief... and I was in a bad habit of holding the shifter from underneath on the JK where it didn't have a lockout ring. Had to break that one too!
Sponsored

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
If I had to have one actual complaint, it'd probably be how the reverse lockout ring works -- I'd have preferred some other kind of lockout for reverse than that, but no issues with it yet.
I like the R lockout. The JK doesn't have one so when I first got it sometimes I would accidentally grind R instead of going into 6th. I very delicately shift into 6th on the JK now. I feel the lockout ring and putting R nowhere near 6th was a great improvement.

solfrost

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydro Blue Jeep Gladiator
I like the R lockout. The JK doesn't have one so when I first got it sometimes I would accidentally grind R instead of going into 6th. I very delicately shift into 6th on the JK now. I feel the lockout ring and putting R nowhere near 6th was a great improvement.
In the miata (I know, I know...) reverse was in the same spot by 1st but you had to push down significantly on the stick to unlock it to move over, I liked how that worked. I’d prefer that mostly because it’d make replacing the shift knob slightly less complicated heh.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
Finally got to test drive one of these myself a couple days ago. My comments echo others'.
- 1st is really short, makes sense though if you were towing/off-roading/crawling and looking for low speed power.
- I'm a taller guy 6'-4" with long legs, felt just a tad cramped in it even with the seat all the way back. Leaving my heel on the clutch pedal (not depressed) was pretty uncomfortable, but not so bad when I'd take my foot off the pedal and extend it and rest it under the pedal. No dead pedal is a bummer for this reason.

I grew up driving a manual, and was really hoping to enjoy this gladiator's more than I did to convince me to get it, but this just gives me more incentive to get the Sport S max tow for my daily and get a manual TJ to pull behind it for thrashing on trails and weekend cruises.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I have the StingGray Gladiator Rubicon Stick Shift. I have about 400 miles so far, all street and highway. I love the manual and I am glad I purchased it. If you drive it like you stole it, and keep those revs up, it moves well with the 6 speed. Seems fine with the 4:11s and 33s that come with the Rubicon. Sixth gear is high for the Penstar motor, about what I would expect for a V8 with more torque, but, it is not a deal breaker. I plan to stay with 33s, so, I do not see an issue.... and after broken in, I look forward to the gas mileage in sixth gear on flat highway. Do not be afraid of the 6 speed stick, it is getting a bad rep. because of the high gearing, but, I find it to be good with 33s and 4:11s.

Some other notes: Fwy traffic is not bad with the stick shift. First gear is low, so, you can do stop and go with the clutch out if your timing is right. Low lock in first gear is unbelievably low --- seems great for rock climbing - maybe better than the auto.

Sponsored

Elwenil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 Dodge Ramcharger
Occupation
Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram Dealership Parts Manager
So far I am liking what I am hearing about the manual. I think lower axle gearing would help bring the gears a bit closer RPM-wise, and make 6th more useful. Maybe 4.88s or 5.13s with my planned 37" tires. I would like to get by with the 4.88s as the pinion gear starts getting small and potentially weak with a D44 above that.

chrcal14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
So far I am liking what I am hearing about the manual. I think lower axle gearing would help bring the gears a bit closer RPM-wise, and make 6th more useful. Maybe 4.88s or 5.13s with my planned 37" tires. I would like to get by with the 4.88s as the pinion gear starts getting small and potentially weak with a D44 above that.
I'd honestly hate to lose the low rpm ability of 6th by re-gearing. I use it quite a lot to glide along around 1500 rpms on say 55mph roads, downhills, etc. If I need more gusto, it's just a downshift away.

3-pedal-Rub

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Night Train, Buell Lightning, TL, 4runner, JTR
Hi

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Hello, I made some fwy observations yesterday with my manual Gladiator Rubicon that came with the optional mudder 33" tires. The Rubicon has higher gears (4:10). In Los Angeles on the fwy, nobody drives less than 70 mph ---- if there is no traffic. I normally drive around 72 mph.
At 70 mph, the Gladiator Rubicon rpm was the following:
6th gear - 2000 rpm
5th gear - 2450 rpm
4th gear - 2950 rpm

So, Actually, at 70 mph, the rpm spread was perfect. I also was able to climb every normal fwy hill around here at 72++ mph in 5th gear. For the fwy, the Rubicon with 33" tires seems to be geared well. I really like it.
In general, acceleration in the proper gear feels real good.
Note: 1st gear is really low. I have not tried the gearing off-road yet.

Last edited:

chrcal14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Hello, I made some fwy observations yesterday with my manual Gladiator Rubicon that came with the optional mudder 33" tires. The Rubicon has higher gears (4:10). In Los Angeles on the fwy, nobody drives less than 70 mph ---- if there is no traffic. I normally drive around 72 mph.
At 70 mph, the Gladiator Rubicon rpm was the following:
6th gear - 2000 rpm
5th gear - 2450 rpm
4th gear - 2950 rpm

So, Actually, at 70 mph, the rpm spread was perfect. I also was able to climb every normal fwy hill around here at 72++ mph in 5th gear. For the fwy, the Rubicon with 33" tires seems to be geared well. I really like it.
In general, acceleration in the proper gear feels real good.
Note: 1st gear is really low. I have not tried the gearing off-road yet.
That's pretty consistent with what I've seen, RPMs are a bit lower with 37s. 70 I'm probably more like 1850 or 1900. Same takeaway though, as long as I maintain speed, I don't have to go lower than 5th on mild uphills. 4th only if I have to drop under 70 for whatever reason and need to accelerate or it's a steep grade. Almost 2 months in, I'm still finding I love it more each day as everything just gets instinctive.

Sponsored

Komesk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ 1999
Guys, I've been driving TJ with MT for over 6 years and love it.
I test drove Wrangler 2019 with MT ( since no JT is available around) and the main complain is no space between clutch and left side.
Event though mt TJ does not have dead pedal either, that space allows my foot to be not under the pedal by on the side of it. In my view it is much safer, since there is less chance to catch the pedal from below when you are in a hurry to press the clutch. Do you put you foot under the clutch or in front of it?

3-pedal-Rub

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Night Train, Buell Lightning, TL, 4runner, JTR
I test drove Wrangler 2019 with MT ( since no JT is available around) and the main complain is no space between clutch and left side.
Event though mt TJ does not have dead pedal either, that space allows my foot to be not under the pedal by on the side of it. In my view it is much safer, since there is less chance to catch the pedal from below when you are in a hurry to press the clutch. Do you put you foot under the clutch or in front of it?

Maybe it's so you're encouraged to rest your foot halfway out the doorway in "bro" style.

chrcal14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I don't think I ever developed a dead pedal habit. I just put my foot on the floor when it's not pushing the clutch.

I've actually seen a lot of people talking about that, and they must sit different when driving as I'd have to have my leg in the air and extended to put it on a dead pedal. Seems like it would be less comfortable than to let my leg rest on the seat and my foot on the floor.

Maybe habits built from driving old manuals with seats that the back didn't adjust. Old box truck at work had a bench seat, you had to sit up straight to have back support, move the seat forward so you can reach the pedals. As is, I'm 5 11 and I still have to have the seat pretty far forward so I can barely reach the bottom of the clutch throw with my leg fully extended.

Works perfect to naturally let your leg and foot drop back down to the seat and floor. My foot isn't under the clutch, if I pick it straight up, I bend my knee forward to press it.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I don't think I ever developed a dead pedal habit. I just put my foot on the floor when it's not pushing the clutch.

I've actually seen a lot of people talking about that, and they must sit different when driving as I'd have to have my leg in the air and extended to put it on a dead pedal. Seems like it would be less comfortable than to let my leg rest on the seat and my foot on the floor.

Maybe habits built from driving old manuals with seats that the back didn't adjust. Old box truck at work had a bench seat, you had to sit up straight to have back support, move the seat forward so you can reach the pedals. As is, I'm 5 11 and I still have to have the seat pretty far forward so I can barely reach the bottom of the clutch throw with my leg fully extended.

Works perfect to naturally let your leg and foot drop back down to the seat and floor. My foot isn't under the clutch, if I pick it straight up, I bend my knee forward to press it.
I also did not experience an issue. I have other stick shift cars with dead pedals, and I did not experience an issue with the Gladiator. I think it is because the seat is much higher than a sports car and your foot just goes naturally to the floor like if you were sitting in a chair.... ie. instead of straightening out your knee and resting your foot on the dead pedal like when your are sitting low in a sports car.

hawkijon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Clear JTR/'15 Jeep Grand Cherokee/ '78 Jeep CJ-5/'69 Chevelle
From nuts and bolts in Toledo to Texas in 12 days... this manual gator is home.. step 1 complete

A2F3B3A4-768B-4973-AC0C-DA28873C4A88.jpeg

90909D39-532D-4E44-A010-5EBCB4390553.jpeg
Sponsored