Sponsored

Manual Transmission Club

chrcal14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
It's fine on highways when going 70 to 80 mph, although 6th is pretty redundant. It's really in the 30 to 65 mph range where there is no good gear. Your either not able to maintain speed going up hill or having to shift a whole bunch because there is a gear missing in there to make way for the extra OD gear for MPG sake. I took a Rubicon Home while the dealer looked at mine and it's pretty much the same. I think the 4.11 gears with the 33" tires are similar to the 3.73 with smaller tires.
Even with 4.10s, there's definitely a gap between 2 and 3. I had to train my brain to run 2nd longer, but once I got that out of my system it's pretty automatic now.

I had the JK gear spacing on the brain, getting used to 4 being the old 5 and 5 being the old 6, and the new 6 is extra overdrive. It does seem to be primarily focused on higher highway speeds. When I run it at lower speeds I catch myself shifting to 5 and just saying might as well go to 6. In the 50-60 mph range, you can't really tell them apart. It won't pull at all at those speeds, but it will maintain on flat and downhill.
Sponsored

Dr Kel

First Name
Kellie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2020 GMC Denali HD, ...
Occupation
Goddess of Unstructured Data
Vehicle Showcase
Even with 4.10s, there's definitely a gap between 2 and 3
I will agree. While I’ve gotten used to it, I still feel, with this gearing, this could have been/should have been a 7spd.

Jtny213

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Mountain Edition 2 DR
Just checking in guys. It’s been a while. Hope everyone is enjoying the manual rig. I hope there aren’t too many people still waiting. Happy holidays!! Can’t wait for the snow to come

Hickoryhouse

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Kia Optima Turbo
Allright Manual squad.... I am maybe a month or two out from putting in the order for my MT blue Rubi and I keep hearing differing reports on the MT and larger tires and how unusable they are...

The plan is the 2" Mopar lift and 37's right out of the box, but I keep reading that people don't like that setup, or that it makes the truck more difficult to drive or unusable as a daily. I will be daily driving this beast, so maybe 35's might be a better bet, but either way I am curious what the folks who actualy have a setup like this think, say and feel about it.

I have been driving manual transmissions for 20+ years now, love them and the option of that transmission solidified my plan to buy this truck over anything else, so the MT is not up for debate, only the lift and tires I guess.

Any guidance is appreciated!

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Allright Manual squad.... I am maybe a month or two out from putting in the order for my MT blue Rubi and I keep hearing differing reports on the MT and larger tires and how unusable they are...

The plan is the 2" Mopar lift and 37's right out of the box, but I keep reading that people don't like that setup, or that it makes the truck more difficult to drive or unusable as a daily. I will be daily driving this beast, so maybe 35's might be a better bet, but either way I am curious what the folks who actualy have a setup like this think, say and feel about it.

I have been driving manual transmissions for 20+ years now, love them and the option of that transmission solidified my plan to buy this truck over anything else, so the MT is not up for debate, only the lift and tires I guess.

I have the manual Gladiator Rubicon and my girlfriend and I love it ! She drives it a lot. I am staying with stock 33" Falken Mud terrains. In my opinion, the manual gearing on the Rubicon is fine with these tires. If you go to 35" tires, I believe you will start to loose 6th gear on fwy inclines. If you go to 37" tires, you will probably loose 6th gear on the fwy except for flat roads. Also, acceleration will suffer more than the automatic tranny because you do not have the torque converter that lets the engine rev more in the lower gears while accelerating. I have not tried it, nor talked to anyone that has tried it, but, I believe with 37" tires you will want to re-gear -- even with the 4:11s on the Rubicon. Personally, I would budget for a re-gear.

Sponsored

chrcal14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I will agree. While I’ve gotten used to it, I still feel, with this gearing, this could have been/should have been a 7spd.
Yeah, another in there would have been cool. It messes with my gutometer running it as high as you have to, but I've adjusted.

This hunting season has been great getting to know it in all sorts of situations and conditions. Even got it bloody for the first time this evening, so it's officially broken in.

I'm sure it will get me in trouble eventually but it just goes anywhere. Rutted logging road, no sweat. Have to straddle a ditch to park along the road, nothing to it. Mud, snow, gravel, all good. Been fun.

88mmm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland, 911 TT
It didn't need a 7 speed. It just needed one over drive instead of two and another gear between 2 and 4. I've never seen another 6 speed with two overdrives, especially on such a low torque engine.

chrcal14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon

It's a matter of expectations. I got the Mopar 2" and 37s before I picked it up.

There's plenty of power and low enough gears with a Rubi. No problems with any daily driving circumstances, I even think it rides great... for a lifted brick on 37s. It's not my last cushy Silverado... but being honest I hated how soft that thing was. It's not jarringly uncomfortable or uncontrollable... it feels like a truck, whereas my Silverado felt like a Cadillac. Smooth and mushy. Yuck. Z71 Off Road apparently means you can pull into the grass.

The overdrive gears seem to get the most attention. Highway I don't have any issue, sailing at 70 (or so) in 6th, bit of a grade 5th, traffic or a steeper uphill 4th. I use them in daily circumstances on lower speed roads. I think it's a matter of how you drive, habits and such. No, I'm not going to climb a hill at 50mph in 6th gear, but I can go down the other side of it in it, and maintain 55 on the flat. When it starts going uphill again, I go to 5th, need even more, I go to 4th. Get really steep I go to 3rd.

I could just stay in 4th, but the RPMs get roaring and you can watch the MPGs go down. So I shift, which is the whole reason I wanted a manual. I'm sitting 17.5 average now. Mentioned before, but my low to the ground air dammed mushy Silverado got 18 lifetime in the same driving circumstances. That's a serious no regrets trade.

3500 miles in, I'm wildly happy with it for my purposes. It's nearly perfect. Yeah, little quibbles with the gear spacing but I got over that fast, it's all solvable with driving habits, nothing that is mechanically unworkable. Only other thing I noticed is when using in the yard at work, until the engine is warmed up the RPMs stay a bit high, 1st is still too slow, and 2nd with the idle high is a bit fast, so I ride around with my foot on the brake. All sorts itself out once the engine is warm, then you can just putter along in 2 at idle.

Full disclosure, I did add a Teraflex adjustable track bar and a Falcon stabilizer, but the change from them was minimal. I'd get a bit of steering wheel wobble (not severe or persistent) and they cleaned that up.

Hope that helps.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
I have a stock Rubicon and agree with the Chrcal :
There's plenty of power and low enough gears with a Rubi. No problems with any daily driving circumstances, I even think it rides great... It's not jarringly uncomfortable or uncontrollable... it feels like a truck.

The overdrive gears seem to get the most attention. Highway I don't have any issue, sailing at 70 (or so) in 6th, bit of a grade 5th, traffic or a steeper uphill 4th. I use them in daily circumstances on lower speed roads. I think it's a matter of how you drive, habits and such. No, I'm not going to climb a hill at 50mph in 6th gear, but I can go down the other side of it in it, and maintain 55 on the flat. When it starts going uphill again, I go to 5th, need even more, I go to 4th. Get really steep I go to 3rd.
Although after driving through the hills of western NC and VA, I never had to go to third. So that may be an attribute of being on stock tires.

Sponsored

chrcal14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I have a stock Rubicon and agree with the Chrcal :

Although after driving through the hills of western NC and VA, I never had to go to third. So that may be an attribute of being on stock tires.
Yeah, probably it. Wheels are a bit heavier and tires are about 14lbs more each, so probably an extra 100 lbs plus the diameter physics. Other variables possible there too, I made the thing heavier with bumper, winch, RSE sliders.

Full tank of fuel I scaled at just shy of 6,000 lbs with my 200lbs in it. That might cost me a shift now and again! ;)

Jtny213

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Mountain Edition 2 DR

I’m running 35x12.50 ridge grapplers. It’s my everyday driver. I absolutely love my setup and couldn’t be happier. I would have went with 40’s and a lift but then my rig wouldn’t fit in the garage for work

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Even with 4.10s, there's definitely a gap between 2 and 3
Maybe due in part to how short a range 1st has. I like the short 1st for towing because it gets the load moving more easily when towing.

MoparDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR manual /2023 ZLE manual /2018 Demon #1399
My VERY first thoughts after 180 miles on my stock 6 speed Rubicon with Mud tires option.

1) Yes the clutch initially felt very light compared to my 392 Challenger Hemi clutch.
It took me about 20-25 miles to get used to it... No big deal, don't let it stop you from getting a manual.

2) Steering: Very acceptable...not perfect but no "This is crap" moment at any time for me...including highway driving.

3) I do basically all city NY driving so I am averaging between 14 and 15 MPG.
My Hemi Challenger's avg 9 MPG in the same situation so its a win for me :clap:.

4) For me, there is absolutely no issue with not having a dead pedal. My left foot is very comfortable on the floor.

5) The Gladiator rides very nice and the interior noise levels (hard top/ no inserts) is not even noticed for my tastes and no one has complained about it or mentioned it to this point.

6) 37's, 17x9 wheels and a 2.5 inch lift are here waiting to get installed.
I will report back then and will be able to compare it to stock.

**This is my first Jeep and I am quite pleased with it and my kids absolutely LOVE this thing.**

Happy trails.

Last edited:

chrcal14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
My VERY first thoughts after 180 miles on my stock 6 speed Rubicon with Mud tires option.

1) Yes the clutch initially felt very light compared to my 392 Challenger Hemi clutch.
It took me about 20-25 miles to get used to it... No big deal, don't let it stop you from getting a manual.

2) Steering: Very acceptable...not perfect but no "This is crap" moment at any time for me...including highway driving.

3) I do basically all city NY driving so I am averaging between 14 and 15 MPG.
My Hemi Challenger's avg 9 MPG in the same situation so its a win for me :clap:.

4) For me, there is absolutely no issue with not having a dead pedal. My left foot is very comfortable on the floor.

5) The Gladiator rides very nice and the interior noice levels (hard top/ no inserts) is not even noticed for my tastes and no one has complained about it or mentioned it to this point.

6) 37's, 17x9 wheels and a 2.5 inch lift are here waiting to get installed.
I will report back then and will be able to compare it to stock.

**This is my first Jeep and I am quite pleased with it and my kids absolutely LOVE this thing.**

Happy trails.
Congrats on your first Jeep! Glad you're enjoying.

That city MPG is brutal, but not much you can do there.
Sponsored