Sponsored

Manual Transmission Club

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
This JT was the first time I've had an automatic in about a decade. I had a 2013 JK 2 door, and a 2017 JKUR, both with 6 speeds. I drove my buddy's JL with the 6 speed, and thought the clutch uptake was so awful that I can't believe it got greenlighted. On top of needing remote start for the desert, the time has come for me to go to the dark side. The new auto trans is amazing, and I don't miss the stick. It was odd to wheel it for the first time as I've never been offroad in an automatic. I still don't quite have the hang of it yet, but I'm getting used to it.

Also trading my 2017 rubi in was a pain because every dealer thought they'd never be able to sell an expensive vehicle with a stick. Go figure.
Sponsored

Quick

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU
Does anyone know or have info about the pressure plate “fix” or what they’re doing now to correct it on new builds ?

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Does anyone know or have info about the pressure plate “fix” or what they’re doing now to correct it on new builds ?
Lots of info in this thread, but not about new builds:

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) For Gladiator Manual Transmiss [overheating clutch pressure plate]

Quick

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU
Lots of info in this thread, but not about new builds:

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) For Gladiator Manual Transmiss [overheating clutch pressure plate]
Yeah I’m catching up on it all right now, I just wondered if there was any insight on the new ones as I’m waiting for mine to get built ...

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Yeah I’m catching up on it all right now, I just wondered if there was any insight on the new ones as I’m waiting for mine to get built ...
I'm waiting too. The optimist in me thinks they have new clutch parts that don't overheat that they are using for the new builds. Else why would they stop taking orders for manuals right when the recall went out, then resume a few weeks later?

Sponsored

Deleted member 30519

I wanna ride 2nd longer but it feels unnatural at such high rpm. Is it bad for the tranny to go to 4 or 5k in 2nd ? My commute home is on a lot of curvy 30 mph back roads up an incline and down inclines. I feel like I can keep it in 3rd most of the time but it drops to 1500rpm once in a while going around a tight corner ...

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I wanna ride 2nd longer but it feels unnatural at such high rpm. Is it bad for the tranny to go to 4 or 5k in 2nd ? My commute home is on a lot of curvy 30 mph back roads up an incline and down inclines. I feel like I can keep it in 3rd most of the time but it drops to 1500rpm once in a while going around a tight corner ...
No, one reason to buy a manual is to keep it in the gear that is required to get the best performance. This is even more important for smaller displacement engines that make power up top like the Gladiator. I also use 3rd a lot in the Canyons, and there is a point around 1500K rpm on a hill where you can be lugging the motor. The best advice from me is to use 1/4 to 1/2 throttle in these conditions, and if the Jeep is moving too slow in 3rd for the traffic or corner, or feels like it is lugging, a downshift is required.

Deleted member 30519

No, one reason to buy a manual is to keep it in the gear that is required to get the best performance. This is even more important for smaller displacement engines that make power up top like the Gladiator. I also use 3rd a lot in the Canyons, and there is a point around 1500K rpm on a hill where you can be lugging the motor. The best advice from me is to use 1/4 to 1/2 throttle in these conditions, and if the Jeep is moving too slow in 3rd for the traffic or corner, or feels like it is lugging, a downshift is required.
That's what a figured but then when I downshift to 2nd in 1500 rpm from 3rd the rpms shoot up to 4k at medium throttle and sounds a little harsh. I guess I need to stop babying it and just drive. Thanks for the advice

Chadnutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F-350 4x4
Anyone else have a complaint about the gearing of 1st and reverse? Pulling two jet skis out of a steep boat ramp and backing any trailer is a pain in the ass. Reverse is way taller than it should be, and I would argue that 1st is as well. If the Bronco 7 speed manual is really a thing I'm thinking that it would have been a much better choice of a transmission.

I generally just put it in 4L to back the trailer but then I get binding on hard ground and I don't want to run 4L on a cement boat ramp either.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Anyone else have a complaint about the gearing of 1st and reverse? Pulling two jet skis out of a steep boat ramp and backing any trailer is a pain in the ass. Reverse is way taller than it should be, and I would argue that 1st is as well. If the Bronco 7 speed manual is really a thing I'm thinking that it would have been a much better choice of a transmission.

I generally just put it in 4L to back the trailer but then I get binding on hard ground and I don't want to run 4L on a cement boat ramp either.
I would consider 4L fine for straight backing and pulling out once I am correctly aligned with ramp. Just gotta remember to go back to 2WD before turning.

This assumes the ramp is not very long, so that one can in fact just back a short distance without much correction.

If you live where the steep ramp gets slimey and slippery, engaging front wheels helps anyway.

Sponsored

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
If the Bronco 7 speed manual is really a thing I'm thinking that it would have been a much better choice of a transmission.
Considering its got a 325hp 400ft lb V6 with that 7 speed manual and 4.7:1 axles on 35s from the factory I think the Bronco is going to be vastly superior to the Wrangler in many departments. Take it with a grain of salt because nothing is official until Monday, but that's what the "decoded" order guides are showing as of today. My wife will need a new car in the next few years to replace her older TRD OffRoad Taco, so when the Bronco pickup comes out we will be ordering one. In a few years that platform will be even better.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
The only rule I've heard is use four wheel to get out of what two wheel got you into. I'd use 4 wheel low or high with a smile. Keep your chains handy if you get slimed into a rut...

Chadnutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F-350 4x4
Considering its got a 325hp 400ft lb V6 with that 7 speed manual and 4.7:1 axles on 35s from the factory I think the Bronco is going to be vastly superior to the Wrangler in many departments. Take it with a grain of salt because nothing is official until Monday, but that's what the "decoded" order guides are showing as of today. My wife will need a new car in the next few years to replace her older TRD OffRoad Taco, so when the Bronco pickup comes out we will be ordering one. In a few years that platform will be even better.
But my solid front axle. :(

Damnit Ford.