Sponsored

Rickv100De

First Name
1967 Land Rover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover
Guess quality contol was off at that factory in China. How many recalls for Chinese goods now?

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Guess quality contol was off at that factory in China. How many recalls for Chinese goods now?
I dont believe this is a quality control issue.. Looks more like a design issue.

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
Well I took my two sets back today. They issued me a gift card for the amount of to new sets. I didn't buy another set because 3 ton jacks are not too useful on a pickup.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Well I took my two sets back today. They issued me a gift card for the amount of to new sets. I didn't buy another set because 3 ton jacks are not too useful on a pickup.
Their 6-tons go up pretty high

Sponsored

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, TJ
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Harbor Freight is recalling over 1.7 million Pittsburgh-branded jack stands that can suddenly collapse due to a manufacturing flaw
Always have a backup. Don't trust only a jack stand. China made or not, they can fail, sink into soft ground, tip over when you're wrenching hard, etc. Stuff a wheel under the frame to catch the vehicle when it falls.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
always take off wheels and place them underneath too I know of people that have been seriously hurt or killed because they put too much trust in a jack and or stand
That.

Indavis01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2016 Volvo Xc90 Polestar
Occupation
Finder of bad stuff and people.
Vehicle Showcase
Mine look identical but are 6232 on the end of the PID number. Apparently these were made in a different factory. I called HF customer service and they said that there are 3 factories that MFG all their stands and only one factory was affected by their tooling issue.

Jim_n_Tx

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Rubicon, 1946 CJ2A, 1968 Jeepster Commando, M422 Mighty Mite and 2020 Gladiator Bright White
Vehicle Showcase
Took mine back - took gift card for future use for non-safety related stuff. Ordered new 6 ton jack stands with locking pin in addition to pall catch. Maybe better Chinese jack stands - could not find USA made ones.

Sponsored

OP
OP

20HBPJT

First Name
Ariel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Apparently the replacement ones are also failing.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/06/14/harbor-freight-jack-stand-failure/

Last month, Harbor Freight issued a recall for 1.7 million Pittsburgh-branded three-ton and six-ton jacks stands over a manufacturing flaw. Due to worn stamping machinery, the jack stand's ratchet teeth might not be deep enough to hold the lifting extension in place when the supported car shifts its weight. The stands at issue were assembled between December 1, 2012 and March 31, 2020, but Harbor Freight believes potentially defective units are only 5% of the total run. To be safe, the company decided to recall all of the stands, and has issued gift cards for comparable stands. A man named Mike Galli received one of the replacement stands, and reportedly, things didn't go well.

B641E6AD-3490-4010-86D0-4F7C3CCE698F.jpeg

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
I saw that, right through the weld. Not exactly heart warming.

To be honest like I said in the beginning, how many brands does this effect really? Are there any not professional, not industrial spec stands that aren't made in this factory?

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT shopping
Occupation
Technology
The reviewer noted that the seam was only welded on one side.

I've looked at other jackstands that use a similar design (and there are a LOT) -- none that I saw were welded on both sides. Perhaps that points to the problem being in execution (poor QC of weld techniques) rather than design (single sided weld on that seam).

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
Got this in my email today 7/7/2020:

To the Harbor Freight Community:
I'm writing to apologize. I often reach out to tell you about Harbor Freight's commitment to quality and all the investments we've made to deliver quality tools at the lowest prices. Your trust matters deeply to me and I'm proud of how far we've come. So when we have a product recall, it hurts.
A few months ago, we recalled our Pittsburgh 3 ton and 6 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56371, 61196 and 61197) due to a manufacturer's defect. We asked customers to return them and receive a gift card that could be used to purchase replacement jack stands. I felt terrible about that recall because you should never have a concern about the safety of any of our products.
Today, I feel even worse. I'm disappointed and embarrassed because we've identified a welding defect in a small number of the Pittsburgh 3 ton steel jack stands (SKU 56373) that replaced the recalled jack stands. We're now adding these jack stands to our recall. Unfortunately, this defect wasn't discovered during the initial recall investigation. If you own these jack stands or any of the jack stands in our original recall, whether or not you have had an issue with them, please stop using them immediately and bring them back to your local Harbor Freight Store for a full cash refund or store credit (see details here).
We have investigated all of our other Pittsburgh 3 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56371, 56372 and 57308) as well as the Pittsburgh 6 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56368, 56369 and 56370) and Pittsburgh 12 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56374 and 56375) and did not find the defect. Although none of these other jack stands are being recalled, if you own any of them and have any concern whatsoever, please bring them back and we'll give you a full cash refund or store credit for those as well.
I want to apologize to all of our customers. While we've dramatically grown our team of engineers and inspectors, and intensified our tests and inspections, I assure you that the lessons learned from this will drive further improvement.
As the owner and founder of Harbor Freight, I want you to know that we stand behind every product we sell and that safety will always be our top priority.
Sincerely,
eric_sig.jpg

Eric Smidt
Owner and Founder
Harbor Freight Tools
Harbor Freight Tools | 26541 Agoura Road | Calabasas, CA 91302 | 1-800-444-3353 | Unsubscribe

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
What a shit show. I have two sets of HF 6 ton Jacks that were not part of the recall and seem pretty well built. Must have had extra rice portions at the slave labor factory in China that day.
Sponsored